new BR finally announced with release date, tracklist, and new single

daveyjones

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I just don't agree that the beatles are a fitting analogy to that

as songwriters? absolutely.
graffin / mr. brett are the lennon / mccartney of american punk rock.

the thing about the beatles is they broke up before they started repeating themselves. totally would have happened if they had lasted into the 80s.

7 hours ago, daveyjones said:

as songwriters? absolutely.
graffin / mr. brett are the lennon / mccartney of american punk rock.

the thing about the beatles is they broke up before they started repeating themselves. totally would have happened if they had lasted into the 80s.

well the beatles changed their sound more in ten years than BR did their whole career, but let's just agree to disagree here. i have a feeling that you're heavily biased when it comes to bad religion which is totally fine. i have bands i do the same with

I don't think you can find Greg Graffin and Brett Gurewitz's level of songwriting anywhere else in punk rock music because they put a larger variety into their songwriting and they're just themselves. 

Joey Cape is another excellent songwriter though. His lyrics are convincing and broad, I always think of what he writes as frustrated, diaristic old-man rants and it works great for Lagwagon in the end.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to the new BR album. I like My Sanity and this new song. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

You keep that fucking point of view, bud, you're fucking dead on!

right? i mean "heavily biased" is if a juror or someone is supposed to act objective. this is a fan site for a band—it only exists because of people's opinions (my irrational deep love of bad religion included).

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

right? i mean "heavily biased" is if a juror or someone is supposed to act objective. this is a fan site for a band—it only exists because of people's opinions (my irrational deep love of bad religion included).

Society is getting fucking weird, man. America had hit ita teen years and fucking moody and temperamental. 

Nah, blink takes name for the Beatles of punk rock since they progressed shit loads, the same way the Beatles did. Green Day are pretty much the Who since they almost sound like the Who and progressed the same way. Like Kyle says, Bad Religion repeat themselves over & over like AC/DC. Usually that can be boring for me. Don't wanna hear the same song over and over when I can just listen to the original work. Give me progressive bands any day of the week over bands that have become stale and aren't creative enough to come up with new shit.

That said, the Dissent of Man was a fucking great album. Didn't really like True North but they're probably the only band I get slightly less bored of even if they repeat themselves over and over. I've been bored of Rancid, Offspring and NOFX for so long yet Bad Religion never seem to be that way for me.

I think I finally get Davey's point some, you spend all this time developing 'your' sound, and should stick with and represent your sound you created and master it, versus changing it around to keep it fresh. That way people know what they're getting and you know who you are.

That being said, I think any creative person has an innate desire to grow and keep evolving and 'creating' new. And as time goes on things become more repetitive and copying, you have to get a bit experimental

• Like 2

To me there are bands that have been doing worse than Bad Religion. I mean, listen to NOFX's latest albums or Strung Out or Pennywise, it seems like you're always listening to the same song over and over but I don't feel this way with Bad Religion. Maybe because I like them more, it's all subjective in the end. 

• Like 1

Nothing is worse than ACDC though and no one warrants that comparison. All these punk bands, although repetitive, at least try mixing it up a little bit on fillers or bonus tracks.  It's also punk rock so pretty unconventional.

ACDC is literally the same thing every single time.  I hate them.  

7 hours ago, NJansaid said:

And as time goes on things become more repetitive and copying, you have to get a bit experimental

this is a topic i've dragged through all kinds of threads on these boards, i know: some of us prefer consistency to diversity.

i also think it's easier to be a saint in heaven than it is in hell.

by that, i mean that it's more challenging to innovate and still remain within a recognizable and consistent sonic identity. when bands do this well, it's incredible. a band like NOFX or bad religion, or even rancid, has done this far more successfully than a band like strung out, or pennywise, or even CAKE.

i would argue that bad religion, career average, has innovated successfully within their style and their genre, and that anyone who says "all their albums sound the same" are really not listening very closely.

and then, you can always err on the side of too much experimentation, which is its own kind of failure. then you get weezer.

• Love 1

Too much experimentation is annoying and gimmicky.  I will always agree with that.

I will also agree that being consistent through the times is harder to do than changing your sound.

That's why I grew some respect for Metallica, DMB, Taking Back Sunday, even this Bad Religion. 

They kept their sound and still are successful and relevant enough without ever undergoing an American Idiot transformation.

• Like 1

Bad Religion found a sound that doesn't need to be tinkered with too much, they aren't a band that is easily replicated either musically or lyrically and so it works. I don't want that from every band but not every band is Bad Religion, sometimes you just gotta appreciate the mainstays. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I feel like it's diminishing returns. Especially when bands just coast. It is what it is. I'll never be into a new Bad Religion album. It just won't happen. There's way too much more interesting stuff out there imo. I rather take a chance. It's why I don't eat at the same restaurant, and the same meal every week.

Also I appreciate bands like REM who quit while they're ahead.

17 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I feel like it's diminishing returns. Especially when bands just coast. It is what it is. I'll never be into a new Bad Religion album. It just won't happen. There's way too much more interesting stuff out there imo. I rather take a chance. It's why I don't eat at the same restaurant, and the same meal every week.

Also I appreciate bands like REM who quit while they're ahead.

I eat at the same restaurant and meals every week, but I don't like repetitive bands.

Not sure where I fit now. Any help?

One can argue that, if anything, over the years Bad Religion have got better and diversified the songwriting, which is very important for a band like them, but in the end it's punk rock and I think that being able to relate to lyrics on a personal level is imperative, and the fact the songs have such a degree of melody and aggression with Bad Religion also being a ferocious live band seals the deal for me, I don't want anything else from them.
I don't really play punk rock records because I want diversity, I can have diversity when I listen to other bands and genres though and I'm okay with that.  

• Like 2