Old TV Shows that still (mostly) hold up.

Kay

I'm not talking stuff from when you were a kid, I mean like your parents generation or whatever. 

There's a British TV show that my parents used to watch reruns of when I was little, called 'The Good Life' that aired in the mid 70s about a couple, Tom and Barbara Good,  who decide to become self sufficient and live off the land in their back garden, with their posh and disapproving but friendly neighbours reacting to it all. apparently it aired in the states on PBS under the name 'good neighbors' which... eh whatever. 

It has some cringe moments in modern day but to be honest it's barely worse than some 90s shows like Friends when put under a current millennial lens. Something about the show just makes me feel a bit... idk, warm? wholesome? comfortable? I recently bought the whole thing on DVD and I'm doing a full viewing and I'm frankly loving it. I'm thinking of trying some other older shows and seeing if they also have staying power. 

Are there any 70s and 80s shows that stuck with you? 

1 hour ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

All In The Family

Brady Bunch

The Honeymooners 

Benny Hill

Andy Griffith Show 

Twilight Zone

Get Smart

The Munsters

Growing Pains

Only Fools and Horses

The Young Ones

There are more but I can't remember them ...

I freakin' loved The Munsters. are you talking about the British The Young Ones? because that's aged horribly but I still have a soft spot for it. I detest Only Fools and Horses, always have. 

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

I freakin' loved The Munsters. are you talking about the British The Young Ones? because that's aged horribly but I still have a soft spot for it. I detest Only Fools and Horses, always have. 

British yeah! OF&H life 4 life! 

1 minute ago, _Kyle_ said:

Growing Pains was on in 1992.

So this is specifically our parent's shit?

hm. Taxi is pretty good.

yeah I was thinking 70s and 80s. I love Fraiser but wouldn't remotely consider it that old lol

Just now, Kay said:

yeah I was thinking 70s and 80s. I love Fraiser but wouldn't remotely consider it that old lol

yeah, you're right. it's only 25 years oldohmygoooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

7 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Ok so shows from the 70s or 80s that 99% of us didn’t watch until the 90s-2000s that are still good today?

Yes - specifically stuff that is over our generations age so that we weren't able to watch it when it first aired. To see what holds up and what doesn't, because there's some stuff from the 70s and some of the 80s that is cringely awful now but some that surprisingly stand the test of time. 

• Like 1