Star Wars Episode 9 (SPOILERS!!!!)

Ghent

13 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Oscar Isaac, JJ Abrams, and Kathleen Kennedy have all said that Palpatine is back, so I’m guessing he’s back.

They could be trying to mislead us, which wouldn’t surprise me either, but I kinda feel like we’ll actually see him again.

I read a really interesting fan theory the other day. About Palpatine having learned to cheat death from Plagueis.

The essence of the theory was that to cheat death, upon dying you must have a host to continue in...To infect. Could explain the name PLAGUEis. Could explain why Palpatine was so eager to have Luke strike him down. Could explain why Snoke was so eager to have Kylo strike him down. Which would mean Kylo may currently be "hosted" by Palpatine or even Plagueis.

Just a fan theory, some obvious holes with it too, but I thought it was an interesting idea

• Like 3

The article says Jar Jar has a racist Caribbean accent. Do people actually talk like that? I've literally never heard a real person talk anything like Jar Jar in my life.

Anyway, the love he's been getting since he opened up about how badly the media's response to Jar Jar affected him has made me happy. I liked Jar Jar as a kid and I still like him now!

• Like 1

I'm curious how the prequel hate would have been if we had all the same social media we have now back then. The sequel hate sounds pretty loud right now, but I feel like it's not really that different than the prequel hate was. We just hear it more because we use the internet more now and hundreds of dudes record angry YouTube videos about it in their cars now.

5 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I'm curious how the prequel hate would have been if we had all the same social media we have now back then. The sequel hate sounds pretty loud right now, but I feel like it's not really that different than the prequel hate was. We just hear it more because we use the internet more now and hundreds of dudes record angry YouTube videos about it in their cars now.

Well yeah, it's more louder now that people have the ability to voice their opinion. Before, you'd have to go to a comic book store or blockbuster to get opinions outside of the internet. Also, you're how old?

You probably weren't aware of these movies being bad, let alone being disliked by anyone over 15.\

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9906/09/jar.jar/

but there was always hate for jar jar

5 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

If the internet was like it is today back in 1999 the prequel backlash would have been unbelievable..makes me shudder to imagine

11 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

The article says Jar Jar has a racist Caribbean accent. Do people actually talk like that? I've literally never heard a real person talk anything like Jar Jar in my life.

Because you probably haven't run into runaway slaves recently? "Messa Jar Jar Binks" is something out of pre-civil war era black folk. The fact he's an ignorant buffoon created to be laughed at is kind of minstrel shit.

It also sucks because it has no real rhyme or reason to a lot of the characters who aren't speaking British or whatever dialect they chose for these movies. Carrie Fisher famously dropped her "british" accent along the way. But like the Yiddish the other aliens to in Phantom Menace, it's a pastiche kind of thing in that it follows old serials to make every alien basically be "ethnic". Waddo was some weird ethnic combination of italian and middle eastern.

Star Wars is mostly racist because it follows old serials that were, racist. George was probably aware enough to change them enough to where they don't quite hit that specific mark, but he didn't pull these things out of his ass. I mean, he called the bad guys "sand people". Not the most racially aware dude, or he doesn't actually care enough to cover his tracks better.

It's not surprising to me that there was a backlash of having more prominent minority actors in these films. I think there's a good amount of star wars fans that do have underlying racist expectations. I also get that it was a very calculated move by Disney and likely was to create bigger profits. But they also probably feared a #starwarssowhite backlash if they didn't have more characters like Rose. Oh, and Chinese box office is a thing now.

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's pretty revealing that you consider primitive dialect to be an automatic indicator of one's skin color

"primitive"? Are you Clarke?

Also, it's not my original thought, as this has been brought up by people long before I said anything. I just see their point.

Maybe you should reach out to those who study these things and clear them up for them? Or are you going to stand down again today?