Star Wars Episode 9 (SPOILERS!!!!)

Ghent

Yeah, my main complaint with the movie is that it felt like it should have been longer. I'm honestly very surprised they didn't just make it three hours long. Endgame proved that you can do that and still be extremely successful. This movie felt like it was trying to cram way too much into too little time.

Not everything has to be explained, but it would have been really nice if a few things were made more clear. For example, the red planet Kylo Ren is on at the beginning is apparently Mustafar, and the wayfinder he gets is at the site of the ruins of Vader's castle from Rogue One. That's not clear at all in the movie, especially because it looks like a completely different planet. I don't really need an explanation of how the Emperor survived. Some mystery is fun. But some things definitely could have been more clear. Like the Lando/Jannah thing.

I keep seeing rumors about an extended cut. I won't believe it unless we get an official announcement, but I do agree that the movie could use some extra time. Even if it doesn't add much, giving the movie a little more breathing room would be nice, because it's crazy fast-paced, especially the first half. I don't expect it to happen though.

Overall though I had so much fun seeing it again, I like it even more than I did before. Most of my complaints are nitpicky things and nothing huge. Like how I wish there would have been some background cameos of characters from the video games, books, and TV series. There are lots of members of the Resistance from other stories who could have at least had a 2-second cameo walking by in the background. Give me Shriv from Battlefront 2. He's the best. The main droid from Star Wars Rebels had a cameo like that in Rogue One. But yeah, unimportant nitpicky stuff like that are my main complaints.

• Like 2

Saw it for a third time tonight, unplanned. This movie is better every time I watch it. I'm not on the fence anymore, I love this movie.

There's something about the sequel trilogy movies that I have to warm up to every time. I walked out of The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker for the first times having enjoyed them, but also being kind of disappointed, to varying degrees. With Rogue One and Solo I instantly loved them the first times I saw them. I don't know why. I think my expectations for the main movies just get in the way of me fully enjoying them. There's so many things I hope to see happen, and then they don't happen, and it dampens the enjoyment a little. When I go back for repeat viewings knowing what I'm getting into and not expecting anything else I guess I appreciate and enjoy them way more.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Russel Coight said:

$400 for Lego? That’s ridiculous.

Im actually getting to build some Star Wars Lego thing for my girlfriends work this weekend. Should be fun.

This mother fucker! 

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Simpsons-71006-House/dp/B00HX14C7Q

It was 2014 and my wife and I had just started dating. She loves Legos and so we went to the lego store and I let her get whatever she wanted. She picked this fucker. In my head I figured we put this together while having a few drink and then one thing would lead to another and I'd be the lego hero and maybe connect my piece to hers... It took fucking forever and at the end of it we were too damn tired and just went to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

This mother fucker! 

It was 2014 and my wife and I had just started dating. She loves Legos and so we went to the lego store and I let her get whatever she wanted. She picked this fucker. In my head I figured we put this together while having a few drink and then one thing would lead to another and I'd be the lego hero and maybe connect my piece to hers... It took fucking forever and at the end of it we were too damn tired and just went to bed. 

I’m sure it’s 100% worth it to anyone that loves Lego but to someone that has never had an interest in it I just can’t understand how it can cost that much.

9 minutes ago, Speedo said:

This mother fucker! 

Dang that's an awesome Lego set though. But yeah, $400?? That's insane. Most of the Star Wars ones I want are crazy expensive too and I can't justify getting any of them. But building Legos is really fun and relaxing for me. If it was more affordable I'd have lots of them.

Made this quick vid for my own entertainment yesterday. Since you guys don't get to see my face often here I figured I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0VSaquTR1Y

YouTube vids haven't been embedding here for me for the past few days so there's the boring dumb link instead!

I bought a beard trimmer like an hour after I made this video lol.

• Love 1

The concept art is so cool. I have "The Art Of" books for The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi and they're filled with cool unused ideas. The alternate TROS scripts sound decent I guess, but not great to me. The familiar locations are the only things about them that I really like. I would have really loved to have seen Coruscant again. I love this one:

rise-of-skywalker-tros-art-of-concept-ky

Visiting the ruins of the Death Star was an idea they threw around for TFA so it was kind of fun to finally see that realized in TROS. This is from the Art of TFA book. I kind of prefer the completely submerged idea to what we got, just because it's more visually interesting. 

1*ElB4adamoUu9qtR3yoEboA.jpeg

I think there is a real good movie that could have been made from the alternate script but wouldn’t have been good as a conclusion to the saga. I do see why they went with what they did.

I fucking love looking at concept art. It’s so interesting to see what ideas they used and changed and whatever. The breath of the wild concept art that was released is so damn cool!

My big takeaway from the previous scripts is similar to what I feel about the actual movie, and it's that they really needed to make at least two more movies to finish this story. One movie wasn't enough time to nicely wrap everything up imo. I know Star Wars has always been trilogies and they wanted to make this another trilogy, but's there's really no reason to force it to be three movies just because the other series were trilogies. I really like TROS  and I think it did an okay job but I think a fourth movie could have made a big difference.

But yeah I love seeing the concept art too. Star Wars often reuses unused concept art in future projects, so we might see some of these ideas in the future, in some form. The Death Star wreckage is one example. Lots of the ship designs in the sequels came from concept art for the original trilogy. An unused concept for Darth Maul became a witch in The Clone Wars, and an unused concept for Kylo Ren became a villain in Rebels. It'll be interesting to see if we ever see any of these ideas pop up in future movies or shows.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to seeing this. I knew what happened going into it and thought I’d hate it but I really enjoyed. Yeah it wasn’t perfect but I enjoyed it for what it was. 

the whole Kylo/Ben Solo arc is the best thing about the whole trilogy and Adam Driver played them both so well. I just wish he was the one that killed Palpatine, he’s the last Skywalker by blood and it should have been about him and not Rey imo. Rey hearing the old Jedi voices was so cool but again devastated we didn’t get to see Anakin ffs. He should have been there at the end with Ben and with Luke and Leia when Rey took on the name. 

• Like 4