Sum 41 - Order in Decline

radioactive tomdog

New album due in July. Here's the new single, "Out for Blood"

If it gets taken down, I think it officially comes out tomorrow. I think the chorus is pretty unmemorable but the production and instrumentation is far better than the past two albums. Seems pretty clear that deryck finally let the other members write their own guitar parts for the first time since Chuck. 

• Like 2

yeah it's not too bad, pretty standard sums but at least they're not going for the late career pop transformation that heaps of 90's bands are doing.

I think Dave came back in pretty late during the last album so he couldn't contribute much? does sound like everyone got to do their own thing on this song though and it sounds good blasting in the car

Man wtf is this? I seriously hate it. I loved chuck, screaming bloody murder is my favorite album, and loved fake my own death (didn't really feel the whole album in general though but I could kinda appreciate it for what it was)

This new shit sounds like the pain for pleasure thing they were doing to parody the "metal" bands. Seriously what is up with those voice filters? This is just terrible. Guess borwnsound coming back was the worst thing that could happen to this band. They lost all their soul and energy. Yeah brownsound cool solo dude.

I think the song is good but it's generic Sum 41. Nothing new, nothing special. Felt the same over the last album too. Think they're going the same route as Green Day and the Offspring. They're becoming their own generic versions of themselves.

Not a terrible song but nothing really stood out to make it memorable. Last album came out and “fake my own death” was such a good stand out song and first single. This one doesn’t feel like that. Glad to see sum going strong still and deryck got his life together finally 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, JarJarBlinks said:

Anyone who makes fun of Cali-blink's lyrics need to listen to this abomination.  

How many cliche lyrics can be packed into one song?  

Music is cool though....

At least Sum 41 were able to stay true to themselves, not get a producer to pigeonhole them into generic pop punk, and reconcile with a key member of the band. Blink could learn from them.

1 hour ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

At least Sum 41 were able to stay true to themselves, not get a producer to pigeonhole them into generic pop punk, and reconcile with a key member of the band. Blink could learn from them.

Can’t reconcile with delusional people. 

What about that phase where They tried ripping off American Idiot-era Green Day for a couple of awful albums? 

My opinion hasn't changed since it was released, Underclass Hero is a great album.  Its not particularly original, and absolutely wasn't going to light the world on fire, but for the type of album it was trying to be, I loved it, and still do.

Regardless, I'm very much enjoying this track, not the best Sum 41 song ever, but its solid and definitely more in line with their stuff from the likes of Chuck which I also very much enjoy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, M!ke said:

My opinion hasn't changed since it was released, Underclass Hero is a great album.  Its not particularly original, and absolutely wasn't going to light the world on fire, but for the type of album it was trying to be, I loved it, and still do

i've grown to appreciate it as i've gotten older. i think the production is really impressive for deryck so suddenly tackling everything on his own and it was kind of a bold move to release a record so drastically different than Chuck after they had established themselves as a heavier band. but i also think some cheesy songs should have been cut in favor of b-sides like this one

15 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

they ripped themselves off with underclass hero, not green day. then i couldn't tell you what the fuck they did with screaming bloody murder. it wasn't a rip off, just a raging alcoholic trapped in a studio for a summer 

SBM is absolutely that. In some ways it's sad but very interesting in that regard that it's a huge falling out of a record. Seemed like everything had gone to shit for Deryck.

UH was definitely coming from what was in the air at the time (2004-05 specifically) but I had no real positive reactions to that record. It felt 2 years behind. It also seemed like that was when he made the band about himself.

6 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

SBM is absolutely that. In some ways it's sad but very interesting in that regard that it's a huge falling out of a record. Seemed like everything had gone to shit for Deryck.

UH was definitely coming from what was in the air at the time (2004-05 specifically) but I had no real positive reactions to that record. It felt 2 years behind. It also seemed like that was when he made the band about himself.

that's exactly how i felt about it for a long time but now that it's been over a decade, it's not something i think about anymore.

i think deryck has finally backed away from the solo mentality with this new record. they played another new song live the other night (its better than the single) and it sounds like the rest of the band is contributing to the writing process again. 

Think I might be the only one that loves Screaming Bloody Murder on this board. I think it's the 2nd best album with Chuck being the best album they've ever done. I think partly cause of what Deryck was going through at the time is why I love the album though. Feels like it's his album. Problem is what most people state, he started to treat Sum 41 more like his own solo project. I think if SBM was some kinda side project similar to Tom DeLonge when he did BCR, the album might've been rated way more. But I do love the album despite all of that. Might not be a "Sum 41" record to most but it's definitely a superb album in my opinion.

Underclass Hero I loved it when I was younger, but I just started to dislike it more as I got older. Have the same feeling with TOYPAJ with blink. Teenage me loved pop punk.