Sum 41 - Order in Decline

radioactive tomdog

• 4 weeks later...

I don't mind the new drummer too much - he seems more metal which kind of makes sense to jive with Brown Sound. His setup when they play live was WAY too loud at the show I saw though. I remember getting to the venue a bit late and hearing the double kick from a few blocks away and told my gf that it must be the first opening act since it sounded so metal, but nope it was Sum 41. 

Looking back on Sum 41's history, I'm actually really happy with their strange development. You can tell that Brown Sound pushed for a more metal sound from DTLI? onwards. I'm not too well versed in Sum 41 politics and history, but from what I gather, Deryck's alcoholism and ego got in the way of the band, which resulted in most the members quitting until he got sober and humble again. Deryck's story is pretty amazing and inspiring (failed marriage with Avril, alcoholism to the point of liver failure, sober comeback and always giving it 100% in everything he does). He seems fairly well liked by the other members now that he's sober, and the Offspring had great things to say of Sum 41 when they toured together. 

Most of the members have a pretty interesting story. Steve-O leaving the band and now sells insurance, Tom joining the band after he was the previous frontman of one of Canada's other biggest pop-punk bands. I think I might have posted it in here already, but I think they might make for a better documentary than Blink, but both would be fantastic stories of inner struggles and redemption. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

I don't mind the new drummer too much - he seems more metal which kind of makes sense to jive with Brown Sound. His setup when they play live was WAY too loud at the show I saw though. I remember getting to the venue a bit late and hearing the double kick from a few blocks away and told my gf that it must be the first opening act since it sounded so metal, but nope it was Sum 41. 

Looking back on Sum 41's history, I'm actually really happy with their strange development. You can tell that Brown Sound pushed for a more metal sound from DTLI? onwards. I'm not too well versed in Sum 41 politics and history, but from what I gather, Deryck's alcoholism and ego got in the way of the band, which resulted in most the members quitting until he got sober and humble again. Deryck's story is pretty amazing and inspiring (failed marriage with Avril, alcoholism to the point of liver failure, sober comeback and always giving it 100% in everything he does). He seems fairly well liked by the other members now that he's sober, and the Offspring had great things to say of Sum 41 when they toured together. 

Most of the members have a pretty interesting story. Steve-O leaving the band and now sells insurance, Tom joining the band after he was the previous frontman of one of Canada's other biggest pop-punk bands. I think I might have posted it in here already, but I think they might make for a better documentary than Blink, but both would be fantastic stories of inner struggles and redemption. 

Damn, Steve-o sells insurance now? Wtf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

I wonder if psychotic fans call or text his work number. i'm kinda surprised he didn't just join another band or become a studio drummer. he fully checked out 

He was one of the last original members to quit (before the others returned to the band), right? He seemed pretty loyal. My theory was always that he quit when the band wasn't touring enough due to Deryck's alcoholism and that he just wanted to earn a living. Dunno if it was more complicated than that, though. 

• Like 1

the only member to quit and come back was dave. i do think steve was over all of deryck's bullshit and i don't believe they ever hangout or talk (that could have changed).

he stopped drinking but i think he is still over controlling when it comes to the band. the writing clearly used to be more collaborative and they excelled with good producers. ever since underclass hero, these have been self produced deryck solo albums. with dave back in the band, it seems like he allows him to throw a random guitar solo on to every track when they are nearly finished but it stands out in an unnatural way, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wannabe corn dog said:

the only member to quit and come back was dave. i do think steve was over all of deryck's bullshit and i don't believe they ever hangout or talk (that could have changed).

he stopped drinking but i think he is still over controlling when it comes to the band. the writing clearly used to be more collaborative and they excelled with good producers. ever since underclass hero, these have been self produced deryck solo albums. with dave back in the band, it seems like he allows him to throw a random guitar solo on to every track when they are nearly finished but it stands out in an unnatural way, in my opinion. 

For some reason I thought Cone briefly left near the end of Deryck's alcoholism. I agree though, it has always been Deryck driving the direction of the band. I don't think it was necessarily more collaborative in their earlier albums, just that Dave was more willing to play pop-punk (presumably since the band needed to make a name for itself and pop-punk was cool at the time). DTLI? was more probably the best mesh between the influences, with some weak songs. I still need to give Chuck another chance, only listened to it a couple times and it didn't click much for me.

• Like 1

The band was a total trainwreck from Derycks divorce until Steve quit with cancelled dates due to Deryck getting sick, cracking his back etc, troubles with Island in getting SBM released, if I remember correctly it sat on the shelves for almost a year until it was released in 2011. Then Deryck kept on self-destructing while the rest of the guys were getting married and Steve having kids so I get why he left the Deryck Whibley Freak Show. They had to cancel so many shows and even tours due to Deryck being a drunken mess and doing his best to drink himself to death so I totally get why a 32-year old family man wants out of that circus. I mean even after he left Deryck kept getting fucked up until he ended up in the hospital.

Happy it's all better but there definately seems to be bad blood between Stevo and Deryck since Steve hangs out with all the other members of the band.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm relistening to Underclass Hero again, and to this day, I do not understand why it's so hated.  I fucking love this album.  Like I get it, it's unoriginal, it lacks Brownsound, it's a step away from the sound they were moving toward with Chuck, these factors are absolutely true,  but man at the end of the day, I don't care about any of that, cuz I love this album through and through, from the first track to the last, there isn't a song in here that I don't like.  I really wish it was a more accepted album, cuz it just resonates so well with me from start to finish.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I'm relistening to Underclass Hero again, and to this day, I do not understand why it's so hated.  I fucking love this album.  Like I get it, it's unoriginal, it lacks Brownsound, it's a step away from the sound they were moving toward with Chuck, these factors are absolutely true,  but man at the end of the day, I don't care about any of that, cuz I love this album through and through, from the first track to the last, there isn't a song in here that I don't like.  I really wish it was a more accepted album, cuz it just resonates so well with me from start to finish.

I never was a huge Sum 41 fan but UCH is probably my favorite album of theirs.

• Like 1

i feel like we have this exact same conversation in a sum 41 thread once per year. i think the production quality of UH is pretty great but most of those songs are just corny and dumb to me. "this is goodbye" and "no apologies" are my favorite songs from it and they didn't even make it on the actual record. 

i've been enjoying 13 Voices a lot more recently, though. the bad production and mixing holds that one back.

• Like 1

Yeah I feel the same about SBM, I like a few songs from that one, but it just sounds off to me. Deryck went too wild with vocal effects, pianos and the songs weren't that great. The "making of" vids on YouTube were awesome though. 

Hey does anyone else remember that Chuck b-side Subject to Change? It's basically a combo of No Reason + Underclass Hero. 

I love the Underclass Hero album, but that didn't help it's reputation when the lead single reused a chorus from a b-side on the last album.

• 1 month later...