Blame It on My Youth (the Raccoon song)

Loudernow

14 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

This is my friends exact comments about this song. He's a huge RHCP fan, the way I am a blink fan. But he does like some blink. He was typing it to me as he was listening to it.

This doesn't sound like blink
it's like a completely new band this song
it sounds more like imagine dragons
i dont mind the song, don't hate it, but it's just not a blink track
lmao
i hope the album aint like that
just not a blink song
RHCP have kept consistent throughout their whole career

RHCP have gone downhill since their original guitarist left. 

1 minute ago, Kay said:

outside of my laughing gif (which I stand by) -

No one should be surprised by this. California was sonically like blink forgot how they were supposed to sound and took inspiration from the bands they influenced in their past - it sounded like a talented painter getting knocked on the head and being reduced to finger painting. Just a watered down, wanky version of what it should be. 

We knew they were on a bit of a high from how California performed, and we saw droves of different writers, producers, Feldmann still involved, and Mark suddenly releasing synth-laced 80s stuff. There was always going to be a more pop focused edge to this record - 

and this single confirms that. this is paint by numbers "please do well on the charts!" track for the modern age, where most songs sounds fucking identical and autotuned to shit. 

Now it's definitely 'experimental' for blink, because blink don't usually release straight up pop music. so you know, Mark was right on the money there. 

For direct commentary - Idk why people like the lyrics. they're not as unbelievably 'cringe' as some of California but it's fucking weird to have lyrics about being a misunderstood messy punk kid when there's not a single goddamn thing that fits punk musically in the song at all. it's also hilarious hearing these lyrics from Mark, who's darkest part of his childhood is his parents divorcing.... just like half of the worlds parents. Boohoo, big boy. 

Musically it's just bad. not really sure how to defend it. I can't talk about it instrumentally because it's a garbled together mess. I think if you actually reduced it to it's bare parts it would've been a typical so-so California song, but they've just scrubbed it with bullshit polish and left it at that. 

I'm not angry. I'm not disappointed. blink died ages ago, this is just fucking funny now. 

I can’t like anything anymore but this is pretty much spot on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember not many people liking the smiley face album when it came out. Feeling This was one of the songs me and my friends loved straight away. I liked Obvious and I Miss You on first listen. Always was good for me on first listen too. But songs like Violence, Stockholm Syndrome, All of This, I'm Lost Without You, Fallen Interlude, Down shocked me and most of my friends. Most of us were like wtf? We just didn't get it. I never hated the songs but took me like 4 years to actually go back to them songs and think to myself that they were fucking good songs. Never had the same feelings regarding California and this song I know 100% it won't grow on me, because it has too much crap like gang vocals and other details that just make me avoid it.

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

No one should be surprised by this. California was sonically like blink forgot how they were supposed to sound and took inspiration from the bands they influenced in their past - it sounded like a talented painter getting knocked on the head and being reduced to finger painting. Just a watered down, wanky version of what it should be. 

We knew they were on a bit of a high from how California performed, and we saw droves of different writers, producers, Feldmann still involved, and Mark suddenly releasing synth-laced 80s stuff. There was always going to be a more pop focused edge to this record - 

and this single confirms that. this is paint by numbers "please do well on the charts!" track for the modern age, where most songs sounds fucking identical and autotuned to shit. 

Now it's definitely 'experimental' for blink, because blink don't usually release straight up pop music. so you know, Mark was right on the money there. 

For direct commentary - Idk why people like the lyrics. they're not as unbelievably 'cringe' as some of California but it's fucking weird to have lyrics about being a misunderstood messy punk kid when there's not a single goddamn thing that fits punk musically in the song at all. it's also hilarious hearing these lyrics from Mark, who's darkest part of his childhood is his parents divorcing.... just like half of the worlds parents. Boohoo, big boy. 

Musically it's just bad. not really sure how to defend it. I can't talk about it instrumentally because it's a garbled together mess. I think if you actually reduced it to it's bare parts it would've been a typical so-so California song, but they've just scrubbed it with bullshit polish and left it at that. 

I'm not angry. I'm not disappointed. blink died ages ago, this is just fucking funny now. 

Well said, and they did die years ago. I am just here for the entertainment now.

• Like 2

Just now, Chewy030 said:

RHCP have gone downhill since their original guitarist left. 

Agreed, my friend thinks the same too. But they still sound like RHCP. This song doesn't belong in blink at all. Maybe the verses, but that's all.

46 minutes ago, Reg said:

I think tom was the soul of this band. And its gone. 

You’re 100% right. I wish Mark has fucked off instead 

29 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I actually quite like the verses but it falls apart in the chorus. 

The 'Blame it, blame it on my youth' melody is horrible and some of the production gets on my tits as well, especially some of the effects on the vocals.

I'm not really sure what I think, in a sad way it's kind of exactly what I expected, not going to lose my shit and start raging about it. 

I’m the same. I don’t know what to think of it. I mean it’s ok but as a blink song? its more poppier than Sober ffs. I just don’t know what to think anymore. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Obviously no way to prove this, but I highly highly doubt anyone melting down today would like Feeling This if it came out today in an odd alternate universe. Interesting to think about though

On the flip side, I would almost definitely have liked this song if it had been released when I was a teenager. I'm not convinced it would have had the staying power of earlier blink music, it might've ended up being among the pop punk stuff I've mostly grown out of during adulthood (NFG, Bayside, MxPx, TBS, etc.).

• Like 2

Just now, OliversAPilotNow said:

You've been here for the entertainment for 15 years? Because that's how long you've been insufferable.

You rag on him for posting on here all the time, yet you literally only seem to post here to goad him or to post politics stuff in the trump thread. If I knew literally anything about you as a person, I'd suggest you were a lil bit gay for old Oli. You're like, obsessed with him or something. 

I mean, as one of the resident homos I say live your truth but you probably should accept it, you can't live a lie man. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kay said:

thanks for this review, I was waiting on pins and needles for it.  

• Haha 2

I think I would of respected a good pop song no matter what band put it out. Island in the Sun by Weezer is a good example of that. It's just a fine little tune that is instantly distinct and hits all the right points. It falls square in the pop genre and sounds amazing.

This song's composition is just nothing to write home about or really experimental in any regard (outside of Mark Hoppus oeuvre).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

thanks for this review, I was waiting on pins and needles for it.  

I don't blame you, I am rather entertaining! 

• Love 1