Blame It on My Youth (the Raccoon song)

Loudernow

3 minutes ago, NotNow said:

I would argue you’re in the minority to like blinks new music at this point. Judging reactions across different social media platforms.

Yeah. Probably terrible to release new music and such a large % hates it. Plus all the savage comments on their pages. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nasa said:

this song is interesting to me. Skiba's verse is the best part of the song. but W H O did the production and mixing and mastering?? it sounds so bad, hahaha. it doesn't match the tone that they seem to be going for. why not take the production from "sober," which seems like the type of song they're trying to get at, and use that here? just because feldmann's production style isn't suitable for pop punk, it doesn't mean it's not suitable for pop. and the chorus is annoying and generic. i don't mind the lyrics even though they're also generic.

honestly, to me, this song doesn't sound like it's from 2019. it sounds like it's from 2012-2014--poppy for a band (as opposed to a single artist), anthemic, singalong shouty chorus, etc. in the vein of bands like imagine dragons, one republic, 5 seconds of summer, etc. as other people have mentioned already. this is just interesting to me because it seems like blink are trying to stay relevant in an era of music that has already passed, hahaha.

i don't fault them for it considering that it's hard to be a pop band in 2019 and pop punk has moved to the underground. and this move makes sense because when they became popular, pop punk was thriving. it's just interesting to observe blink through the lens of them being an example of how bands have had to evolve in the 2010s to stay (what they perceive to be) relevant. didn't expect one of my favorite bands to become that for me, buuuut here they are!

These are pretty much my feelings. I really don’t like it at all, but if this is what they want to make then so be it. They’re not going to have many old fans left at the shows. I just will never get why they don’t just start a new band.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nasa said:

punk is not dead. it's just not mainstream anymore. just like rock in general.

Rock is still doing just fine compared to what the internet says though. I go to a TON of rock shows and majority are always close to being sold out. 

Just now, Chewy030 said:

Rock is still doing just fine compared to what the internet says though. I go to a TON of rock shows and majority are always close to being sold out. 

i guess what i mean by mainstream is good chart performance on billboard, significant plays on streaming platforms (in comparison to pop and hip hop artists), and major album / single sales (even though they've been declining overall this decade), not who is actually going to see artists live. all of jeff rosenstock's (underground pop punk artist who i highly recommend!) shows are sold out every time, but that doesn't mean he's mainstream. i would say a tour is only indicative of an artist's prevalence in the mainstream if it receives significant media coverage.

i think rock bands are doing well in their own right, but definitely not on the scale that they used to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vivalasativa said:

playing in bars and home town shows.. 

NOFX, Millencolin, Bad Religion, Offspring, Anti Flag. 

No click tracks, no backing tracks, just true punk rock. Time to wake up, there are more bands out there than FOB and Blink

5 minutes ago, NotNow said:

These are pretty much my feelings. I really don’t like it at all, but if this is what they want to make then so be it. They’re not going to have many old fans left at the shows. I just will never get why they don’t just start a new band.

*like because i ran out of likes*

The only thing for me is that it just feels like an album song imo not like a first single. Still enjoy it.

I don't know if you guys have actually listened to the last fob and patd albums but since I used to love these bands in the past I've listened to their last releases fully and this seriously sounds nothing like something they would make. I get it that it's not a fast song with guitars (which you guys hated on california anyway) but it's nothing like fob or patd. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nasa said:

i guess what i mean by mainstream is good chart performance on billboard, significant plays on streaming platforms (in comparison to pop and hip hop artists), and major album / single sales (even though they've been declining overall this decade), not who is actually going to see artists live. all of jeff rosenstock's (underground pop punk artist who i highly recommend!) shows are sold out every time, but that doesn't mean he's mainstream. i would say a tour is only indicative of an artist's prevalence in the mainstream if it receives significant media coverage.

i think rock bands are doing well in their own right, but definitely not on the scale that they used to.

Oh i totally get what you're saying. From a mainstream standpoint yeah it's not great. But if you follow rock it's doing pretty damn well as a whole. 

3 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Sums up my feelings. They should just start a new band and stop ruining their own legacy.

They've been my favorite band since 96. I didn't care much for the 2003 self titled record aside from a few songs and the same goes for Neighborhoods. I liked California except for a couple songs though I hated the overproduced, autotuned sound of it, but this song is just garbage. It's awful. I'm hoping the rest of the record isn't like this. I'm already not going to see them this year with them touring with Lil Wayne and this song just reenforces that decision for me.

2 minutes ago, petros said:

The only thing for me is that it just feels like an album song imo not like a first single. Still enjoy it.

I don't know if you guys have actually listened to the last fob and patd albums but since I used to love these bands in the past I've listened to their last releases full and this seriously sounds nothing like something they would make. I get it that it's not a fast song with guitars (which you guys hated on california anyway) but it's nothing like fob or patd. 

Sounds like Fall out boy to me. To teach their own I guess.

5 minutes ago, Since88 said:

NOFX, Millencolin, Bad Religion, Offspring, Anti Flag. 

No click tracks, no backing tracks, just true punk rock. Time to wake up, there are more bands out there than FOB and Blink

all bands you named are bands that have been around for a while

1 minute ago, Chewy030 said:

Oh i totally get what you're saying. From a mainstream standpoint yeah it's not great. But if you follow rock it's doing pretty damn well as a whole. 

yeah! they still have their dedicated fanbases and stuff. the music forum i read always has threads about new rock music that's come out, and the rock shows i've been to in the past year-ish were pretty packed.

Just now, Ghent said:

Did I just read a post begging for the production of Sober on this song?

This place is too much sometimes.

@ me next time!

i didn't "beg" for the production of "sober." i said it would make sense for the song given the vibe and the instrumental. try again!

god damn it. okay i kind of like this. this pains me to say this. but the lyrics aren’t too bad and the production is a step in at least a better direction than the blatant throwback california was. expecting this to be huge on alt radio and have plenty of crossover potential 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1