Blame It on My Youth (the Raccoon song)

Loudernow

18 minutes ago, Kay said:

I've got to ask - what is 'Im the ink and you're the headline' supposed to mean? is it I'm the true inspiration and work but you get the credit?

Yeah it's poetic but not super obvious. My loose interpretation is that it's in regards to their youth being the prime:

You can never kill my high - saying basically you can never take away the highlights/accomplishments of their life
I'm the ink and you're the headline - saying I'm still that person (ink element), but that youthful time period was the highlight (headline)
Blame it on my youth - attributing these things to that time period, giving "youthfulness" the credit 

You can never block my shine - You can't block the highlights of their past/also could mean you can never block their youthfulness from shining through even now... 
I've been lost since 1999 - gotta think this is in regards to Mark's life being crazy and all over the place since 1999 (EOTS)

But who knows, I could be way off. 

• Like 1

what confuses me so much about people complaining about this is blink is a band that literally got their stardom from the trl mtv bang of the late 90s with out that they’d likely be a version sum 41 who someone else mentioned is now basically doing their version of warped tour metal in house of blues size venues.

blink has always been a bigger bang almost in the same regard as the foo fighters incubus etc of their class of big rock bands.  while i personally believe had their been no breakup they would have been on a foo fighters type of career sound and mass appeal wise .. that obviously didn’t happen.  since the reunion and now skiba era they will obviously be making music to cater to the bigger radio mainstream audience to still play those bigger venues and remain that headliner status they have always had.

they worked w feldmann to pander to all the fans currently in the comments that are saying “omg if your gonna sing about punk play punk” while also making fun of nofx for looking jaded and sad.  blink has always been a pop band.  and i think for a 2019 mainstream version of blink 182 this is a pretty cool mellow vibey and catchy song.  best lyrics ever? no but a solid next step after making their 2016 enema to ease everyone into a new co lead singer.

could have gotten a parking lot 2.0...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

No Feldy (he's probably at home punching himself during the single launch)

zv247qoiwzw21.png

Blows my mind that they needed to bring in three other songwriters and still no one could come up with a better chorus than that. This song is just so boring and bland, how is this lead single material?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, petros said:

Wasn't cali full of guitars and you guys hated that too?
I'm not saying this song is the best blink song I've heard nor that I like it more than any song on untitled. I think I like Bored to death and Up all night more than this. But still the hate is ridiculous.

People didn't dislike California because it had guitars and they wished it didn't haha. One of the many reasons people disliked California was because the guitars sounded like shit and had no creative riffs.

• Like 4

someone mentioned "imagine dragons" from a soundtrack to a sequel to wreck it ralph. so i checked it out. YUCK.

that owl city track from the first movie, however, was great. it's like, with disney / pixar, go full synth pop or go home. this dragons stuff is just middling... like someone said, a nickelback for their genre.

I want blink to be modern and relevant and something I can hear on the radio. I want to go see them live at big venues with big acts. I want them to write catchy music with a certain level of youthful vibes and pop sensibility, with a bit of an edge and irreverance.

Basically what they've been on every album besides Neighborhoods

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

Just let it in man! You can do it!

i actually fuckin love this song now, and i’m one of the biggest haters of cali and this whole era. i’m not really keen still on blink outsourcing their songwriting and the song itself IS very very bland and generic. but i like it a lot though. in contrast to what others are saying, i think the production is just right. this is just one album in their career, i guess. they’re just trying to stick around and remain relevant. it probably shouldn’t be their focus, but let’s admit it, this band has always enjoyed the spotlight.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I want blink to be modern and relevant and something I can hear on the radio. I want to go see them live at big venues with big acts. I want them to write catchy music with a certain level of youthful vibes and pop sensibility, with a bit of an edge and irreverance.

Basically what they've been on every album besides Neighborhoods

i would like mark and travis to do exactly that.

i would like blink to be the music they used to be doing and that made them the band they are….. those times are long gone. everbody knows it.

start something new. i have absolutely no Problem with the new music they  are doing, but it isn't what blink used to be so it shouldn't be under the same Name.

but money….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neal said:

i would like mark and travis to do exactly that.

i would like blink to be the music they used to be doing and that made them the band they are….. those times are long gone. everbody knows it.

They just released a pop punk album and you shat all over it hoss

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

People didn't dislike California because it had guitars and they wished it didn't haha. One of the many reasons people disliked California was because the guitars sounded like shit and had no creative riffs.

I think the key to "guitars sounding like shit and no creative riffs" is not **remove guitars**

Sorry to #tombot #bitter28yearoldman #nitpick

• Like 1

they should create a road movie-like music video for this song where they're driving a car in the middle of nowhere, and just laughing at everything. maybe something like this would be enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MC4jx1SDEI, but on a desert road, with happier faces, slower tempo. or a nicely produced video with flashbacks or other type of extra footage. i guess it would put this song into better perspective, the visual content would help accepting the mood of the song.

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

someone mentioned "imagine dragons" from a soundtrack to a sequel to wreck it ralph. so i checked it out. YUCK.

that owl city track from the first movie, however, was great. it's like, with disney / pixar, go full synth pop or go home. this dragons stuff is just middling... like someone said, a nickelback for their genre.

American Authors/Imagine Dragons, same chorus and melody structures

55 minutes ago, Ghent said:

They just released a pop punk album and you shat all over it Hoss

because it was a ripoff of various other bands in the genre and a absolutely uninspired manufactered mess

I'm not against anything this band does. i want to like what they do really bad actually. it's not my fault that they manage to destroy their legacy more with everything they release.  Take your tinfoilhead of and settle your ridicolous dispute with that bad delonge guy ok? it's been 4 years. time to let go and to be objective.

• Like 1