Blame It on My Youth (the Raccoon song)

Loudernow

7 minutes ago, knapton said:

I just went through about 20 pages of this thread and the best thing I read was how Mike has no clue of what a joke Imagine Dragons is. Classic Mike

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/slayers_gary_holt_imagine_dragons_suck_giant_hairy_monkey_balls_fuck_em.html

• Like 1

Gave the song a few more listens so here are my first thoughts. 

- The intro instrumentals are horrendous, not sure what they were thinking. It feels like Mark tried to go for a Motion City Soundtrack-like intro but completely dropped the ball on that one. Thankfully Travis is working overtime to deliver some kickass beats so i can at least focus on that. 

- I actually love the verses. They are catchy and sound exactly like Blink. I just try not to focus on the lyrics because the thought that these millionaires are whining about how the first 18 years of their lives were hard is cringe as fuck. 

- The chorus is ok and quite catchy. It’s just ruined by that dumb “blame it, blame it on my youth” line which completely kills the flow of the chorus. 

- Never end a song with an outro like that, just finish it with some kick ass riffs for god’s sake. 

So yeah, the song is ok I guess. I can see why people love it. I can see why people hate it. Personally I think it could have been a lot better. 

• Like 5

This song is mostly shite, but it could be better if the production was more decent and the guitar was louder (especially in the chorus) Travis drums are good, Skiba voice is good, didnt really like Mark´s voice  i think he´s better using his deeper voice these days (like the verses from Misery)

Its a turn off for the rest of the album, i dont like Simple Creatures so i wouldnt like a straight electro-pop direction.

If Biomy had a louder guitar in the chorus and you could actually hear the bassline would be so much better.

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Left Alone is very forgettable imo. I never understood the love for it here either.

Left Alone probably has the best riff on og California and the song goes nowhere with it. It’s a real tragedy.

Interesting to see how this will be pulled off live. That whole “blame it, blame it on my youth” line is insufferable, they could’ve picked almost any other string of words to make that work. Trying to say “blame it, blame it” really fast sounds like they’re having a fucking stroke. The gang vocals need to go. 

The verses are still the only highlight of this song. I think the Cure-esque sound compliments them well, they just needed to bring the guitar up a bit more. Matt’s verse seemed more genuine and I wish they would have let him sing the first verse as well. Mark’s lyrics seemed completely opposite of his childhood so it came off wrong, but I like the “Bored to Death” reference.

Somehow dislike the production compared to Feldy’s, but the guitar sounds somewhat more alive despite being buried in the mix. Too much stuff is going on and the drums are distorted. I’m not sure about that intro sample (or any other times it was used) but I’m glad Matt isn’t playing the same guitar progression that was all over California. Matt sounds great and I love the little part with just him and the guitar before the final chorus. The autotuned outro was not as bad as you guys made it out to be, but that melody did not fit at all.

EDIT: I also don’t like how abrupt the drumming is when it transitions from the intro to the verse.

2 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Interesting to see how this will be pulled off live. That whole “blame it, blame it on my youth” line is insufferable, they could’ve picked almost any other string of words to make that work. Trying to say “blame it, blame it” really fast sounds like they’re having a fucking stroke. The gang vocals need to go. 

The verses are still the only highlight of this song. I think the Cure-esque sound compliments them well, they just needed to bring the guitar up a bit more. Matt’s verse seemed more genuine and I wish they would have let him sing the first verse as well. Mark’s lyrics seemed completely opposite of his childhood so it came off wrong, but I like the “Bored to Death” reference.

Somehow dislike the production compared to Feldy’s, but the guitar sounds somewhat more alive despite being buried in the mix. Too much stuff is going on and the drums are distorted. I’m not sure about that intro sample (or any other times it was used) but I’m glad Matt isn’t playing the same guitar progression that was all over California. Matt sounds great and I love the little part with just him and the guitar before the final chorus. The autotune outro was not as bad as you guys made it out to be, but that melody did not fit at all.

It won’t be pulled off live. They’ll use a backdrop and it will sound horrible. 

• Like 1

Just now, Diddy Faplord said:

It won’t be pulled off live. They’ll use a backdrop and it will sound horrible. 

I’m convinced a lot of sampling will be used for the backing tracks live. It would be pretty funny seeing Mark having a stroke trying to sing “blame it, blame it on my youth” if he actually sings it. Maybe the guitar and bass will be a bit more prominent since they’re hidden in this song.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

I’m convinced a lot of sampling will be used for the backing tracks live. It would be pretty funny seeing Mark having a stroke trying to sing “blame it, blame it on my youth” if he actually sings it. Maybe the guitar and bass will be a bit more prominent since they’re hidden in this song.

Seriously. I play drums and guitar, so naturally I’m pretty good about picking up on all of the separate tracks on recording. I couldn’t even hear the guitar on this song, and I’m not really inclined to give it another listen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diddy Faplord said:

What signifies he’s salty? What did mark say back? Sorry I don’t use Twitter I can’t tell what’s going on aside from that wacky essay someone wrote him about the song 

He replied “no.” and put it in an iPhone note rather than just tweeting no. And he tweeted who’s trying to get blocked?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

4 minutes ago, NotNow said:

He replied “no.” and put it in an iPhone note rather than just tweeting no. And he tweeted who’s trying to get blocked?

Ok I saw the “no” but didn’t really understand the point of it being on the screen it was. I still don’t see the point of him doing it. Not a good look, also just confirms he did read the message. Can’t go creating this garbage music expecting long time fans to call him out on it. Also just seeing the “who wanna get blocked?” Quote. Wow. Damnit. Now even Mark is turning to a mega douche. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I prefer old blink but I’m 100% in support of Mark responding that way to people telling him to do his job differently.

That fan is just giving him some free advice. Mark didn't have to respond like a dick about it. Fans are the reason he is where he is today.

• Like 2

I dunno he could just tell people, hey I make music I love, like it or not. Like this he comes across a bit..childish? He should just stay cool. 

So much for telling him what to do haha. 

• Like 3