Blame It on My Youth (the Raccoon song)

Loudernow

4 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

lemme go check the Brooklyn Vegan and find bands to listen to that would make you happy.  

That‘s really nice of you, bring on some suggestions. 

No idea what‘s the deal with vegans in Brooklyn though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jane said:

That‘s really nice of you, bring on some suggestions. 

No idea what‘s the deal with vegans in Brooklyn though. 

This is what I envision blink sounding like, I mean cmon, it's 2019!

I don't get why there's always so much mudslinging over what kind of music people like. Obviously there's a lot of people who want Blink to be making music that sounds more like the older pop punk and people who like what they're doing and their tastes have changed, but who cares what anyone listens to? Listen to things you enjoy regardless of whether your tastes have changed or not. Making fun of music tastes is just lame.

Also I seriously don't understand both defending Blink for writing songs about youth and then making fun of "emo pop punk from 2002"...there's a serious disconnect there haha

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

This is what I envision blink sounding like, I mean cmon, it's 2019!

Interesting choice.

I find the thought of Mark and Matt „singing“ this quite hilarious tbh.

Not my cup of tea musically, but thanx anyway. 

damn, guys. even though this discussion was several pages ago, you shouldn’t have to look for reasons to like a song. if you genuinely like it, then you should just like it. ? 

• Like 2

forgive me guys, but i wanted to gather my own thoughts about this since i liked the song more than i anticipated and i wanted to examine why. here’s my own rambly personal review.

in a perfect world, i would have mark, tom and travis recording music that sounded like a natural evolution from untitled: more mature, progressive sounding music that still falls squarely within their genre. obviously we can’t have that, and i had hoped in 2015 with matt’s inclusion he would add his own unique elements. all of that was ditched with california when i realized matt was strictly a hired gun and they weren’t trying to experiment, but play it as safe as humanly possible. it really dulled my expectations for everything that has come since. cali to me felt like a overproduced mess.

i suppose with this i’m just happy they’re not going in a strictly regressive sonic direction… it’s not the same douchy pop punk thing they ran into the ground on california. i always like flanger on blink’s guitars, and the verses in this song are classic blink territory. the lyrics look back in ways i found charming. there’s references to the recent past (BTD) and the far-off past (am i crazy, or is “i was raised on a rerun” bring to mind images of the song TV and mark’s mom’s house?). skiba’s verse even feels like him, and he really shines on the song. of course, it’s full of pop gimmicks and formulaic as hell. you’ve got your standard anthemic chorus we’ve heard before and the dropout with just matt singing before the final chorus. but this is blink, when have they not been formulaic? i really like the song. i like “endless summer, stretching on and on”. it puts a big smile on my face.

there’s no denying that without tom’s riffs and volatile creativity, they’ve completely lost what made them unique in the first place. this new music doesn’t stand out much, and is designed to sound big on radio. luckily i personally have always been a sucker for that type of music, so a huge part of me is very conflicted for liking the song… i shouldn’t, but i do. but i guess above all i don’t care too much anymore as a fan. they’re older now, and they’re just trying to stay relevant and make more $$$. which is all they probably ever really cared about in the first place really, and maybe i was just too dumb to realize it when i was younger. i’m not really comfortable with blink outsourcing their creativity to songwriting farms, and i think mark is in a weird, mid-life crisis spot, but i’ll always like him and blink and i’ll begrudgingly tag along no matter what. in all though, i like the new song and i think it’s a fresh way to approach the band in its current state, all things considered.

• Like 6

also, that reply from Mark on Twitter makes me kinda sad. it seems like all the criticism from the past 3 years has finally reached a breaking point for him. publicly lashing out on social media is not a sign of self-confidence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nasa said:

also, that reply from Mark on Twitter makes me kinda sad. it seems like all the criticism from the past 3 years has finally reached a breaking point for him. publicly lashing out on social media is not a sign of self-confidence. 

Don't blame Mark, he got stuck in the thick mud.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Listened to it some more over the past 24 hours, updated thoughts:

• This doesn't sound ANYTHINGGGGG like any Imagine Dragons or Fall Out Boy or Panic At The Disco song I have ever heard
  • However, it is definitely using modern pop/rock influences from other places, in my opinion this song sounds a lot like Jack Antonoff's style, AKA the guy from Bleachers/Fun. He's a hit machine but seems to value interesting production and idiosyncrasies in his songs so as far as people in the pop world to try to emulate he's a decent choice
  • This song wouldn't be the BEST song on California, but it would definitely be up there. It's got some weird things going on and is very "light" but it sounds like a band who has settled on what they want to do at least. That's an improvement over the last few years in my opinion.
  • This song's production is still kinda distorted/overstuffed but gives things a lot more room to breathe, in comparison most California songs had what seemed like 15 vocal tracks going on during every single line, and guitars fed into a computer with a "Generic Distortion" setting clicked on. I would prefer some bigger guitars on this obviously but I don't think that Youtube video sounded all that great either.
  • If Blink sounded like The Starting Line I would be just as concerned about them as a band
  • My standards have gotten really low and that factors into my opinions on this song, they aren't Blink to me and this stuff will never be part the "true" Blink catalog in my brain so I'm just trying to figure out what I would like to hear from this new pop oriented version. In my opinion, this is a clearer and more focused approach to pop music than their attempts on California. Unfortunately they got to this sound by removing most of the punk/rock from the equation. That sucks. But at the same time the awful modern pop-punk stuff on California was much worse, so who knows? I honestly prefer this to trying to be the Pop Punk Godfathers Reclaiming Their Throne.
  • Overall they're in a strange place but I think they might just be pretty happy 40-somethings who currently enjoy this type of breezy electronic pop rock and want to try to nail it while also enjoying the notoriety of releasing it under the name Blink 182. As of right now I'm pretty ok with that and more excited than nervous to hear the album.
  • Like 2

Just now, RebelGirlsUnite said:

It lacks any meat.

Yeah Tom really brought #themeat with that 5 note synth loop and the Cinderella line!!!! Mmm so beefy. raw. punk. brilliant. 

1 minute ago, Nasa said:

publicly lashing out on social media is not a sign of self-confidence. 

He's just trolling the haters. Love it. He just posted a BIOMY picture on his IG story and a picture of someone hitting the dab after LOL... 

The dudes are releasing what they want to sound like. They had 40+ songs and chose this, if you don't dig it, whatever. No need to get angry and personal with them about it. They're human, I'm sure they've seen the complaints and it gets annoying after awhile. They wanted to push the boundaries a bit, evolve a bit. Mark's made it clear he hates writing the same thing over and over...so much so that they go with different producers all the time to challenge them. Tom even said it was cool to see them evolve... you can dislike a song without being an absolute ass on social media to people who tried their best. 

• Like 2