Blame It on My Youth (the Raccoon song)

Loudernow

i remember being very underwhelmed by the california pre-singles, every last one of them, but loving cynical. i still do. when the guy uploaded the file, it was a .WAV i remember, and i was on break at work and listened to it in my car. i was so pumped and thought it sounded great. cynical retrospectively feels like mark introducing us to a new era of blink, one a little more hollow, and admitting that the last few years have worn him down as a songwriter. it’s one of the only honest, autobiographical pieces of california as far as i can tell (besides HISALP, or san diego, both of which i also like in ways)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, boxelder said:

i remember being very underwhelmed by the california pre-singles, every last one of them, but loving cynical. i still do. when the guy uploaded the file, it was a .WAV i remember, and i was on break at work and listened to it in my car. i was so pumped and thought it sounded great. cynical retrospectively feels like mark introducing us to a new era of blink, one a little more hollow, and admitting that the last few years have worn him down as a songwriter. it’s one of the only honest, autobiographical pieces of california as far as i can tell (besides HISALP, or san diego, both of which i also like in ways)

yeah I was not into Bored To Death at all, felt like Rabbit Hole could've been good but just wasn't, and over time No Future grew on me but I was not a fan straight off the bat. I was overall very 'meh' and then cynical leaked and I listened to it on my phone and was like 'OH MY GOD YES FINALLY' and then the rest of the album was a wet fart in comparison. I tried so hard listening to the album fully to get to like it and just didn't, but the other day cynical came on shuffle and I was like "eh, this one isn't so bad on it's own" lol 

• Like 1

I absolutely loved Bored To Death and then was ok with Rabbit Hole (and really looked forward to hearing how it would sound live since Mark hyped it up as a live song which never happened) then was sorta thrown off by No Future sounding almost Broadway-esque, and then I dug Cynical but thought it sounded super overproduced and then with each new track that leaked one by one when that dude was uploading them I got more of a sinking feeling that something was way out of whack haha.

That's my memory of it anyway, I wonder if I can find any of my posts from those few weeks.....

*EDIT: Listening to the album all the way through for the first time in a LONG time to jog my memory. Los Angeles still makes my stomach drop. What an excruciating song.

my big memory was later that day going for a drive and listening to the album front to back. somewhere around teenage satellites i was like “uhhh...this sucks.” the sound just blended together and i couldn’t tell a song apart from another. there’s elements i like to the album as a fan of that type of music, but i think we can all agree it’s way overlong 

• Like 3

Found my big review post from 6/29/16 haha:

On 6/29/2016 at 10:10 AM, Champ182 said:

This album is so strange to me, because there are plenty of parts and songs that I really like a lot, but the bad parts are so disappointing that they've kind of clouded up my initial reactions to the album as a whole.

1. Guitar - Very digital/processed distortion sound, and very very few (if any) memorable riffs or parts. Someone up above said that with 60 songs written they must not have had a single memorable guitar riff if none made the album, that's pretty disheartening when those used to be a HUGE part of Blink's sound. That's the only thing missing from Tom's absence, and something I was worried about with Skiba not having a history of guitar riffs.

2. Pop production - I love an album that sounds nice and clear. I'm not somebody who wants rough shitty recordings that sound like they were playing in a trashcan. But the overabundance of vocals on top of vocals on top of harmonies on almost every single line is overkill, the pitch correction is overkill, and the instrumentation lacks punch. I wrote this in another thread, but I went back and forth between Enema and California a few times to make sure I wasn't being too harsh on the new stuff, and Enema's sound is so much warmer and each part has room to breathe. They're both obviously crafted to sound great on the radio, but California feels overstuffed. Especially the vocals, it's almost annoying to listen to at some points.

3. Too many nah nah nahs, whoa oh ohs, etc., and not nearly enough instrumental parts. Someone else had a theory that a bunch of the nah nah nahs and whoa oh ohs would be better off as guitar riffs, and I think that's a great idea haha. 

4. Non-Blink Sounding Moments - I know I know, anything made by Blink is Blink, get used to it. That being said, Sober's chorus sounds like a bro-country song, Los Angeles sounds like Linkin Park meets modern FOB and is easily the worst Blink song ever in my opinion, and Home's chorus sounds like the Backstreet Boys. Any time I hear those songs, they sound like blatant attempts to score a hit on the radio on someone else's shitty formula. Bored To Death proves that there is a market out there for Blink.

*** Just so I don't burst into flames of negativity, I wanna end this post with praise for Bored To Death actually. What a perfect comeback/re-introduction single. The guitar sounds great, the vocals sound great, the "whoa ohs" have a natural place in the song, the song sounds undeniably like the Blink 182 we all know and love but with just enough to sound fresh. The new lineup is capable of being fucking awesome, there is plenty of evidence of that on this album. But I hope Bored To Death's success shows that they can do what they do best, and what comes naturally and still be huge. It seems like Feldmann is here to stay, and even though I think he went way overboard with his production and songwriting influence in my opinion, he definitely brought a lot of positives to the table with his motivation and freewheeling style. I just hope he takes a step back next time and lets Blink be Blink.

I have very few complaints about it. I'd have cut No Future, that song is a turd. Besides that, I hardly have any complaints.

It's great song after great song. The ultimate feel good, summer album for normal blink fans. So glad it was able to happen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

for real though Neighborhoods isn't great by any means but I fucking love GOTDF

The guitar riff is catchy as fuck. Quite a dancey song too. At least in the riff part it is anyway. Outside of a couple iffy lyrics and the constant layerings of synths in the bridge that just make it sound like noise, it really is a great song.

• Like 2

I really liked Bored to Death for while, I thought Mark came up with a good melody there.

Cynical was easily the fan favorite, but possibly aged the worst.

The rest were exciting to listen to at first, but mixed feelings, then became stale almost overnight as they kept repeating themselves (Adams song intro, Mark, chorus, Matt, chorus)

I remember being excited about vocal bridges.

I would have cut all of it except BTD, Sober, California, and TOTTM. Give us Long Lost Feeling a couple months later and I'm almost team Matt.

1 minute ago, thongrider said:

Imo people who need to specify that their opinion is their opinion are idiots. 

I like to give other people the benefit of the doubt, also, I like to make sure Jan knows she's retarded which is why I single her out.

• Like 1