We need to talk about Mark Hoppus (meltdown in progress?)

Scott.

1 minute ago, Scott. said:

It isn’t what I wanted from blink But I quite like california but we’ve had that now let’s move on. I don’t want pop punk from Blink. It’s not even pop punk anymore by the sound of this new song, it’s just straight up pop

You don't know what you want, face it. You would never be pleased

I think he got so introspective and insecure over time that he's just given up any attempt at writing good music anymore and is phoning it in for the cash and the chance to keep doing the only thing he knows how to do - be in blink-182.

Doesn't matter what the songs are like, doesn't matter how short and stale the set list is, the substance of it makes no difference to him anymore. his entire identity is blink-182 and he can't stand it when he's outside of it. that's my take anyhow. 

• Like 3

Just now, Kay said:

I think he got so introspective and insecure over time that he's just given up any attempt at writing good music anymore and is phoning it in for the cash and the chance to keep doing the only thing he knows how to do - be in blink-182.

Doesn't matter what the songs are like, doesn't matter how short and stale the set list is, the substance of it makes no difference to him anymore. his entire identity is blink-182 and he can't stand it when he's outside of it. that's my take anyhow. 

I’d agree with that. Fucking does my head in because ‘when your heart stops beating’ is a fucking masterpiece. I fucking love that album with all my heart. He frustrates the life out of me

• Like 3

he’s definitely at a frustrating place for me as a fan. i’ve said in older posts that in interviews he seems more guarded and ready to give soundbites than honest answers. seems like the years of tom dragging him down broke him a little, and when he deemed his experiment with matt a failure, he regressed and made a throwback record with songwriters. he said he got depressed after the california tour, and i can only surmise because he realized that the whole thing with matt and the grammy nod and the songwriters feels mad empty. there’s also been the rumor he’s an alcoholic too, though i’m not sure how true that is. either way, as a fan, it feels like he’s in a very weird spot right now

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Scott. said:

I do. I want the band to call it a day

Same. I was excited for California at first because let’s face it, Tom was horrible live in his last few years with blink and it was clear he didn’t want to be there. He viewed blink as a joke and it was honestly kind of like a kick in the nuts to all the fans that had been into the band for so long. So at that point the magic with blink was over anyways. It was intriguing to think what Skiba could bring to the band. Now in hindsight, after seeing what the band has become, I wish it never happened. Should have been over when Tom left again. Travis’s plane crash gave them another run but let’s face it, the magic had been gone for years before that. Bottom line blink ain’t blink without Mark or Tom, and this new direction theyve taken the band is trash.

• Like 9

On 5/8/2019 at 8:51 PM, boxelder said:

he’s definitely at a frustrating place for me as a fan. i’ve said in older posts that in interviews he seems more guarded and ready to give soundbites than honest answers. seems like the years of tom dragging him down broke him a little, and when he deemed his experiment with matt a failure, he regressed and made a throwback record with songwriters. he said he got depressed after the california tour, and i can only surmise because he realized that the whole thing with matt and the grammy nod and the songwriters feels mad empty. there’s also been the rumor he’s an alcoholic too, though i’m not sure how true that is. either way, as a fan, it feels like he’s in a very weird spot right now

At this point, I'd invite him to the 'safe space' on this boards.

• Haha 3

Mark in simple creatures is good at the moment. He looks like he's having a lot of fun and the chemistry is really there. I think he also enjoys the novelty of it all, new questions, new band, new live concept.

Mark in blink at the moment is just not enjoyable for me. he always looks and sounds so jaded. really looks like two different people in those two bands.

I share the opinion with @Scott. that blink should just call it quits. They really could just create a new band and still play some of the blink hits like +44 did. heck they can even advertise it a ""Supergroup XY" feat. members of Blink-182 and alkaline trio"

as to quote the man himself(2006) : " Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ry-Bread said:

Ok I'm totally down with Mark/Tom being cool, but isn't Mark posting/tagging Tom a little too much lately?  Gettin weird IMO. 

It’s gotta be a little weird for Skiba lol. And that’s probably why he’s uninspired playing songs that weren’t even his, songs that overshadowed his real band lol. But then again I do way shittier work for a lot less money so can’t blame him for being there 

46 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Ok I'm totally down with Mark/Tom being cool, but isn't Mark posting/tagging Tom a little too much lately?  Gettin weird IMO. 

They're riding on nostalgia and he's getting heat for the new song being rubbish so he's trying to be like "member the 90s? member shorts? member me with all my hair? memberrrR?"

• Haha 1

It's just really weird on the brink of a new album. Like he's posted/tagged Tom in more stuff in the past month than his wife/Skiba/etc. lol. 

Could be promotional and intentional I suppose, but just odd after 0 communication for years. Is he getting nostalgic after people are begging for Tom in all his posts? Jelly of the love AVA is getting when new Blink is getting crapped on? It's like this whole time he felt he was the person who dumped Tom, but is now starting to feel like he may have been dumped... 

I'm happy to see it. Tom is fucked in the head and I think it's good for all parties that they have a friendly, non-competitive relationship. There's no reason for animosity anymore.

And those shorts are so ridiculous! I can't believe I used to think that was cool. I even wore mine pretty long in high school. Like nothing close to that, but long enough that it would be hilarious to see today

I've watched tons of old blink interviews etc over the last couple of days. Good times. But also made it so, so clear again that Blink has always been Mark and Tom and the chemistry they had. Without that, it's never gonna be the same.

• Like 3