Canadian Bands/Artists

Adrianm14

Damn @Clar-ke has herpes I loved I don't wanna go by crowned kings when I was younger. Still a good tune. We had a lot of good 90s bands too. Sloan, Mathew Good Band, Age of Electric, Limblifter, The Doughboys, the headstones. 

Some good newer bands are Japandroids, The Dirty Nil, The Arkels, Sheedogs

• Like 1

Speaking of Canadian bands, I was driving and I heard this band on the radio, The Tragically Hip. I've never heard of them before and I don't know the name of the song but I liked it. The radio host said they're Canada's REM, the song reminded me a bit of Against Me! though. I should check them out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

Speaking of Canadian bands, I was driving and I heard this band on the radio, The Tragically Hip. I've never heard of them before and I don't know the name of the song but I liked it. The radio host said they're Canada's REM, the song reminded me a bit of Against Me! though. I should check them out.

Lol I was going to write "they're like Canada's REM.." Gord Downie (frontman) recently passed away from brain cancer, and they did one last tour that really brought Canada together. They have some really good, unique songs and Gord was featured on a song with City and Colour.

2 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Lol I was going to write "they're like Canada's REM.." Gord Downie (frontman) recently passed away from brain cancer, and they did one last tour that really brought Canada together. They have some really good, unique songs and Gord was featured on a song with City and Colour.

where should I start from? 

@Elisa if it's available on Spotify in Italy (or if you can find it elsewhere), I'd recommend checking out the compilation, Yer Favourites. It's a good introduction to the band and it includes all the songs Casey linked to. If you end up liking them, you should check out the documentary about their final tour, Long Time Running. Also, their last ever concert was shown live by Canada's national broadcaster. It's super emotional and also worth a watch if you like them. I wouldn't watch that one right away, it'll have more of an impact if you get to know their music first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I'm not a diehard fan by any means, just know their hits from the radio. @Patient #48273 @knapton @Broken English might know their discography better.

I'd recommend in the following genres:

Folk:

For their rock side:

I’m not Canadian, but I do like the Hip. Not enough to be in any way an authority though. 

I'm not super into the Hip but I Like some of their stuff. 

50 mission cap, lonely end of the rink, bobCaygeon, 38 years old, ahead by a century, my music at work, poets, three pistols,

I would say Fireworks is my favourite by them. 

It's amazing how massive they were in Canada but unknown everywhere else. They were like Bruce Springsteen up here. 

• Like 1

Other good artists not mentioned in this thread:
Wolf Parade, the Weeknd, Neil Young,  Leonard Cohen, Rush, Bryan Adams (Canada's Springfield-lite), Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, Shania Twain, Blue Rodeo, Drake (haven't really listened to his music but he's hugely successful), Sarah Mclachlan, Barenaked Ladies, The Band, Allanis Morsette, Nelly Furtado, Michael Buble (aka Christmas album guy),  the Guess Who (wrote the song American Woman that Lenny Kravitz covered), Sam Roberts, Lights, and k-os. 

6 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I think Leonard Cohen was a good songwriter, but I can't stand his voice and the arrangements/instrumentation in a lot of his songs get on my nerves. Lots of great covers of his music though.

I can't stand his 80s stuff. Sisters of Mercy from his debut is perfect though. 

5 hours ago, Scott. said:

I don’t get the nickelback hate 

yeah it's overblown. like they're really samey, and a little tame, but some of theres aren't awful, and some of their earlier stuff fitted really well with a lot of the moody nu metal early 2000s stuff. that being said, I really liked Staind which were equally terrible so it's probably just me haha