Songs that you like/dislike a lot more than in the past

Patient #48273

Are there any blink songs you feel very differently about now than you did years ago? I was listening to TOYPAJ the other day and most of the songs I loved back in 2001/2002 are my least favourites now (e.g., First Date and Story of a Lonely Guy) and the songs I didn't really care about are some of the best (e.g., Every Time I Look For You and Online Songs).

I'm mainly thinking about songs that you like a lot more or a lot less than you did when they first came out. So, I'm not counting songs you loved/hated when you first heard them if you still feel the same way. I'm also only considering pre-Neighborhoods songs since I was younger and less critical then, but choose whatever era(s) you want.

• Like 3

I'd say most recently Cynical.  That song really went for the first few weeks and now I can't stand it.

I think Feeling This is still their best song, but I don't really listen to it ever anymore, their middle of the pack songs are their true gems over time (Please Take Me Home, Rollercoaster, Emo, Here's Your Letter, Easy Target, Natives, etc)

All The Small Things is actually growing on me though..

3 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

Are there any blink songs you feel very differently about now than you did years ago? I was listening to TOYPAJ the other day and most of the songs I loved back in 2001/2002 are my least favourites now (e.g., First Date and Story of a Lonely Guy) and the songs I didn't really care about are some of the best (e.g., Every Time I Look For You and Online Songs).

I'm mainly thinking about songs that you like a lot more or a lot less than you did when they first came out. So, I'm not counting songs you loved/hated when you first heard them if you still feel the same way. I'm also only considering pre-Neighborhoods songs since I was younger and less critical then, but choose whatever era(s) you want.

Story of a Lonely Guy is embarrassingly cringe and I've skipped it for years now.

First Date would be close, but every time I hear it I just think of the video and it reminds me of how genius it was lol. 

11 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Story of a Lonely Guy is embarrassingly cringe and I've skipped it for years now.

First Date would be close, but every time I hear it I just think of the video and it reminds me of how genius it was lol. 

The First Date video kind of ruined the song for me because as a 12-year-old, I took the song pretty seriously (which is hilarious in retrospect, but I guess that's what it is to be 12) and the video turned it into a total joke. Of course, I see now that there was no way for adults to do an even half serious video for that song haha.

My opinions of the super popular singles (All the Small Things, I Miss You, etc) have brightened considerably over time. Tom and Mark sure knew how to write a hit single. And a lot of the songs on Neighborhoods (GOTDF, Up All Night, EISF) seem a lot more mechanical and forced to me over time.

• Like 1

I used to hate Lemmings in 2002, and started loving it in 2009. Now i think it's pretty cool. 

I love All of This a lot more now than I did in the beginning. 

Give Me One Good Reason isn't the song it used to be. I still love SOALG. 

My least favorite Tom Toypaj songs are still First Date and Reckless Abandon. 

I agree that Online Songs and ETILFU have aged well, so has Roller Coaster and Please Take Me Home. 

Wendy Clear became a favorite of mine too. 

When it comes to California, neighborhoods and Cheshire Cat. Not much has changed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Wendy Clear became a favorite of mine too. 

Yeah, Wendy Clear is a song that I've always liked, but it never used to be a favourite. Now I think it's a contender for best song on Enema.

Almost the entire BCR album seems much worse to me as an adult than it did when it came out. I thought that album was pretty much the best thing ever at the time, but now I find the lyrics mostly lacklustre and/or juvenile. I still love it musically and there are a few songs I still like a lot, but I don't think it's amazing as a whole.

53 minutes ago, oliver_makes_good_points said:

scott, i wonder what makes cynacil sound cringe to you, that intro is realy deep and powerfull prob one of the highlight of that record

Its not. It’s completely over the top 

1 minute ago, Scott. said:

Its not. It’s completely over the top 

I remember Cynical. Thought it was dope for a quick minute. I thought, 'Hey, Matt is yelling. That's new. Sweet. Maybe blink doesn't need Tom.'

A month later I hated the yelling on the record and Cynical just reinforced that. Not bad as a standalone but when listening to the whole album it's redundant.

i've always found a lot of the songs from TOYPAJ hokey. and snake charmer still has elements to like about it, but i can't get past some of those lyrics and tom's vocals. i dislike the actual song DED more and more with time, and of course, most of california is aging pretty pretty poorly.

but now, for some nice comments about cali. i hate to admit i've warmed to the trite mediocrity of misery... quite the hummable song, though i've heard it a thousand times before. and long lost feeling goes nowhere, and i appreciate that it does... it isn't the same as the others in that sense. among classic songs,  not now isn't one i was attached to when i was younger but with time i've come to appreciate as one of tom's best.

I used to drive around listening to TOYPAJ in high school and it was the most relatable music I had ever, and probably will ever, experience.

First Date, Story of a Lonely Guy, Please Take Me Home, Roller Coaster, etc....those songs were everything.

But they ended up being blink’s most cringe material. I still appreciate them for what they are, but ya just can’t take them seriously when not living in that target demo.