Songs that you like/dislike a lot more than in the past

Patient #48273

Even 12 year old me noticed that Give Me One Good Reason was angsty but I've always loved that song and always will. During high school I realized that every song in TOYPAJ was about teenage shit and I also realized that they could have done a better job with some lyrics but that album still sounds great so I'm fine with it. I think that even their most cheesy kind of lyrics just sound good over their music. And they weren't the first ones to do that. Buddy Holly or all the doo wop artists did the same thing 40 years before blink. 

Now this: Do you know that I used to skip Apple Shampoo whenever I was listening to Dude Ranch at age 14/15? Then it just clicked, I still remember it was summer of 2005, and it became my favourite song. I'm still shocked about me skipping one of their best songs ever, I was so dumb.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Elisa said:

Even 12 year old me noticed that Give Me One Good Reason was angsty but I've always loved that song and always will. During high school I realized that every song in TOYPAJ was about teenage shit and I also realized that they could have done a better job with some lyrics but that album still sounds great so I'm fine with it. I think that even their most cheesy kind of lyrics just sound good over their music. And they weren't the first ones to do that. Buddy Holly or all the doo wop artists did the same thing 40 years before blink. 

Tbf Buddy Holly wad really young when he wrote them though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elisa said:

Now this: Do you know that I used to skip Apple Shampoo whenever I was listening to Dude Ranch at age 14/15? Then it just clicked, I still remember it was summer of 2005, and it became my favourite song. I'm still shocked about me skipping one of their best songs ever, I was so dumb.

Same here 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thongrider said:

Tbf Buddy Holly wad really young when he wrote them though. 

Yeah, he was actually young when he wrote them so maybe it's not the same as blink being in their 20s but I think it still makes sense. I've always considered blink's songwriting as a whole with the music they were making, so you can still have strong songs even if the lyrics are simple, as long as they encapsulate situations or things anyone can relate to. They never tried to write an autobiography or to be too serious during the EOTS and TOYPAJ era. 

And so many other artists started out their careers with typical songs for teenagers. Before The Beatles got "deep" they too were making simple tunes with catchy melodies and lyrics that teenagers could relate to. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

Because of its popularity and being overplayed? Or the actual content bothers you?

I think the content sucks. That and first date are bottom of the barrel for me. I think parts of enema and take off your pants and jacket have aged well at all. Enema is mostly okay, it’s mostly take off that I think is pretty bad these days. Dude ranch I think has actually aged really well, I honestly wish they would do a remake of dude ranch, but not with their current production style.

13 hours ago, oliver_makes_good_points said:

not triggered yet no lol

"So give me one good reason
Why we need to be like them
Kids will have fun and offend
They don't want to and don't fit in"

thats some prety good lyrics if u can put urself back in that context of how things were back then

see it from their younger self perspective

i actualy had 2 pull out the lyrics cuz i had no idea what they were anymore

and i tought they were gonna b realy bad especily based on what u said but they are prety good

theres deffinitly some weak spot for the lyrics on that album but i think the way the music works well with the lyrics and all the rest

it makes them pass

It's the part about the jocks, hippie scumbags etc for me. I mean, yeah, I felt that way in high school but now I got friends who listen to all sorts of music and we're cool so it's not as divisive as growing up in a midwest michigan school circa 2006 was, I guess. I still like the guitar in this song. Just harder for this old man to relate.

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

It's the part about the jocks, hippie scumbags etc for me. I mean, yeah, I felt that way in high school but now I got friends who listen to all sorts of music and we're cool so it's not as divisive as growing up in a midwest michigan school circa 2006 was, I guess. I still like the guitar in this song. Just harder for this old man to relate.

i understand what your saying

• Like 1

I used to love the Tom songs on toypaj and thought Mark's songs where meh. I believed Tom's lyrics where so relatable and cool but now everything on take off sung by Tom is a huge cringefest. I love how this album sounds but man Tom's lyrics in it are so bad for me. Apart from th obvious cringes take a song like what went wrong for example. I was a teen that got dumped and listened to that song passionately. There's no way I could finish listening that song now it's an instant skip. I remember thinking story of a lonely guy was cool and deep too. I don't mind first date though. It's a silly song that actually was the one that made me a fan I always viewed it as such.

On the contrary Mark's take off songs have aged pretty well for me. Mark songs are the only ones I still listen to from that album. I don't mind Tom lyrics in enema, untitled and neighborhoods but Mark is the better lyricist from blink for me. And it took me a while to realize that since for years I thought I could relate to Tom more. I actually find Tom lyrics in we don't need to whisper better than anything he's written for blink.

For me, Aliens Exist was such a funny, neat little song when Enema came out. Like, it deviated from the lyrical tone of EOTS and so much so that it is almost an outlier. It was a little facet about the band that added some dimension and personality. Little did anyone know that would be Delonge's eventual M.O.

• Like 1

For me it's Down. I was never a big fan of it when the album came out, would regularly skip it. Thought it was a poor choice for a single. However, it's gotten so much better with age and actually it's the live performances and endings that have made it one of my favourites. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, petros said:

I used to love the Tom songs on toypaj and thought Mark's songs where meh. I believed Tom's lyrics where so relatable and cool but now everything on take off sung by Tom is a huge cringefest. I love how this album sounds but man Tom's lyrics in it are so bad for me. Apart from th obvio...

a great display of mark's lyrics writing ability was +44

he realy went into some dark stuff, +44 realy allowed him to expand on his creativity both musically and lyrically much farther

another great example is those verses in "hey im sorry" from the California songs batch 

Have your fill of disappointment
Two more years of unemployment
All your fears come to life
And leave you boarded up, abandoned and spent

theres that simplicity to those that almost makes them meaningless and bad lyrics but the way he spells it out and paired with the music realy make those stand out 

• Like 1