Motion City Soundtrack — General Thread

boxelder

19 hours ago, daveyjones said:

MCS has only done one album anniversary tour. for commit this to memory, in 2015 (the 10th). in 2010 they did a six city tour where they played two nights in each city, two full albums per night, for the four albums they had at that time. but again, only six cities. and that was a full album thing, not any kind of anniversary or retrospective. and it was four records.

they might have played an album in its entirety at something like riotfest; lots of bands do that.

i fully agree that their first two albums are by far their strongest. and it's cool if you don't really dig anything beyond even if it kills me. but your contention that they "feel the need to keep playing anniversary gigs" and do "countless anniversary shows" is hyperbolic and not borne out by the facts.

thanks for listing off tours i attended. i am aware of them. they've also played other album shows in the midwest that i attended outside of those two aforementioned tours.

i'm not trying to get in to some douchey argument over how many times they've played their first two records live. i know i have attended at least four album shows within a span of only a few years. that's a lot for a band who was actively putting out records. to me, that says they weren't confident or happy with their later work and relied on their past to sell tickets. it's  a fair assumption to make. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jlx9 said:

MDL is my probably my favorite album because of nostalgic purposes

10 hours ago, Kay said:

Go came at just the right time for me

4 hours ago, Kay said:

basically all of their records have a bunch of songs that fitted perfectly when I got into them

5 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

EIIKM came out at just the right time for me.

i guess this is true of many bands, but my god is it true of motion city. when commit this to memory came out, i had just moved to a new city to start graduate school, and i had left a relationship behind. when i got into that album, i got in deep. justin and i are the same age, and deal with many of the same issues, and with every line of every track he just seemed to be talking to me.

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

I just love their first two albums. I think those were their foundation.

I first heard CTTM back in the day when it was released...and I loved it since the first note to the last. To me, that's their best record, and the best representation of what they are.

same.

10 hours ago, jlx9 said:

Back then, I always thought that’s what made them stand out.

the moog is completely what hooked me to their sound. and then i started listening to what justin was talking about...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

EIIKM came out at just the right time for me. I was just starting university and just starting to understand the issues I had been dealing with were caused by depression. The title track in particular has helped with a lot of the sads over the years.

The title track is one my all time favourite songs. When suits going wrong for me, listening to the whole album culminating in that song does absolute wonders for me. It never fails to give me very literal goosebumps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

@Kay you've heard justin's solo album, yea?

and don't forget farewell continental which is fabulous...

I gave his solo record a spin and wasn't sold, but I need to try again. I like some Farewell Continental but I'm not a huge fan. 

On 6/11/2019 at 2:27 PM, boxelder said:

surprised too many don't like MCS post-CTTM. it's true that EIIKM has some filler and might be a little too poppy, but MDL fucking rips and go, while it took me a while to come around to it, is a powerful listen. panic stations is the only one where it feels like they're going through the motions, and it felt right for them to call it a day after that record. but even it has its bright spots.

This pretty much sums up my experience with the band. Love IATM and CTTM, didn't like EIIKM aside from a few tracks (Last Night), really enjoyed MDL, then stopped caring about the band based on the songs I heard post-MDL.

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I really hope they come back in full but I'm not holding out hope. I just want them to come back to the UK. 

i think they may, especially if they decide to write a new album and tour that. the reason they disbanded was touring became too much. accordingly, this tour begins and ends in january. i could see them flying over if they had a new album to promote for sure