Motion City Soundtrack — General Thread

boxelder

On 6/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, Scott. said:

Yes you fucking clown.

its shit. 

Scott this is our chance to unite.

One of the most overrated bands that gets obsessed over I've ever heard.  If you were an alien and you came to this board you'd think MCS was the pinnacle of human achievement the way they're worshiped. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JarJarBlinks said:

One of the most overrated bands that gets obsessed over I've ever heard.  If you were an alien and you came to this board you'd think MCS was the pinnacle of human achievement the way they're worshiped. 

1457975259-armwrestle.gif

• Love 1

2 hours ago, boxelder said:

the reason they disbanded was touring became too much. accordingly, this tour begins and ends in january.

yea when justin was doing press for his solo album, he mentioned that all of them live in different states and have families. he said he could only tour one month for his solo effort, so i'd imagine 'getting the band back together' would be the same.

still, for the size of draw they are, doing a tight one month tour every year can sock away some cash. selling out theaters in a narrow regional circuit is a far less expensive way to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I honestly feel that if you both just listened to the album you might feel differently. I’m not saying they’re the greatest band of all time, but that one album is up there as one of the very best. 

Just now, 2point5 said:

I honestly feel that if you both just listened to the album you might feel differently. I’m not saying they’re the greatest band of all time, but that one album is up there as one of the very best. 

This fucking guy ? clean the shit out of your ears pal

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

yea when justin was doing press for his solo album, he mentioned that all of them live in different states and have families. he said he could only tour one month for his solo effort, so i'd imagine 'getting the band back together' would be the same.

still, for the size of draw they are, doing a tight one month tour every year can sock away some cash. selling out theaters in a narrow regional circuit is a far less expensive way to do it.

yeah, i see no reason to tour with the commitment they once did now that families are in the mix. still, i'm glad they're back. one month out of the year to be away ain't bad for sure. i could see them all meeting up in a city and laying down a new record, and then touring that. two or three months away out of the year = still beats what they were doing haha

I hope this isn’t a one-off thing. I get the feeling it definitely is, but who knows. If they decide to be a band that records an album while doing a small tour to promote it and then disappears for a couple months, I’m cool with that. They all mentioned they have families and live in different parts of the country. 

I’m just worried because tickets are definitely going to sell out fast based on the circumstances. I never got to see them before they broke up and I don’t what to waste the chance. I check the dates and the Pittsburgh show was the closest to me. I clicked on the websites and either the date was not there, no results would show when you clicked on it, or there were zero tickets.

I know the tickets haven’t gone on sale yet (even Justin said that himself when I asked), but I able to click on other dates and view the seatings, so I don’t know what the deal is.

Justin said that Mark told him he would come to every show and do the Hangman bridge. I’m not entirely sure if he was serious but that would be really cool to see as well. I just really want to see MCS. I don’t have any close friends that listen to the band but I don’t want to go alone. An acquaintance/friend is definitely going and he’s a big MCS fan and has seen them before.

I’m not really a concert guy (so far saw Brand New/Modest Mouse in 2016 and Kevin Devine/The Front Bottoms in 2018) but I want to see more of my favorite artists before they hang it up.

4 hours ago, jlx9 said:

I hope this isn’t a one-off thing. I get the feeling it definitely is, but who knows. If they decide to be a band that records an album while doing a small tour to promote it and then disappears for a couple months, I’m cool with that. They all mentioned they have families and live in different parts of the country. 

I’m just worried because tickets are definitely going to sell out fast based on the circumstances. I never got to see them before they broke up and I don’t what to waste the chance. I check the dates and the Pittsburgh show was the closest to me. I clicked on the websites and either the date was not there, no results would show when you clicked on it, or there were zero tickets.

I know the tickets haven’t gone on sale yet (even Justin said that himself when I asked), but I able to click on other dates and view the seatings, so I don’t know what the deal is.

Justin said that Mark told him he would come to every show and do the Hangman bridge. I’m not entirely sure if he was serious but that would be really cool to see as well. I just really want to see MCS. I don’t have any close friends that listen to the band but I don’t want to go alone. An acquaintance/friend is definitely going and he’s a big MCS fan and has seen them before.

I’m not really a concert guy (so far saw Brand New/Modest Mouse in 2016 and Kevin Devine/The Front Bottoms in 2018) but I want to see more of my favorite artists before they hang it up.

Brand New, Kevin Devine and MCS fan? Wanna be best friends?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, jlx9 said:

Fuck yeah! I thought we were already a big happy family of dysfunctional fans of a dysfunctional band!

I am not really aware of anyone else here being a KDev fan so it's nice to know I'm not the only one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay said:

I am not really aware of anyone else here being a KDev fan so it's nice to know I'm not the only one. 

Do we not have a thread where we all discuss our favorite artists/bands? I made a listen of all mine (probably need to update) just for merch ideas and if I ever needed to bring it up in conversation for some reason.

Kevin’s a pretty cool guy, haven’t met or anything but he’s a genuinely nice dude. When I saw Kevin and TFB last summer, I think there were only a few Kevin fans. He did a solo opener and later joined TFB after his set. My friend was able to meet him in the parking lot after the show and I was so jealous because she was mostly there to see TFB. I love both artists but I wish Kevin got more love. I had to leave since it was Sunday and my dad had to work and I didn’t have any other ride so I missed out. 

Pretty great show since all the people I knew went to the front and I was by myself surrounded by strangers, was still pretty fun and it was a cheap show. We don’t get many artists in WV that aren’t country and it was great I didn’t have to go all the way to Pittsburgh for once.

10 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Do we not have a thread where we all discuss our favorite artists/bands? I made a listen of all mine (probably need to update) just for merch ideas and if I ever needed to bring it up in conversation for some reason.

Kevin’s a pretty cool guy, haven’t met or anything but he’s a genuinely nice dude. When I saw Kevin and TFB last summer, I think there were only a few Kevin fans. He did a solo opener and later joined TFB after his set. My friend was able to meet him in the parking lot after the show and I was so jealous because she was mostly there to see TFB. I love both artists but I wish Kevin got more love. I had to leave since it was Sunday and my dad had to work and I didn’t have any other ride so I missed out. 

Pretty great show since all the people I knew went to the front and I was by myself surrounded by strangers, was still pretty fun and it was a cheap show. We don’t get many artists in WV that aren’t country and it was great I didn’t have to go all the way to Pittsburgh for once.

I've met Kevin, about 2 years ago. Pic! 

19956958-10158962283915134-6233293170106

He was an absolute delight to speak to, very very sweet and genuinely grateful to have people there to see him. He did a solo acoustic set, and my friend who came with me has met him something like 20 odd times, he recognised her, came over to her gave her a huge hug, asked how she was doing, and I was like totally struck dumb haha but later on he nodded at her whilst on stage and clearly looked at me being so like ? and gave me a very adorable little wave.

when I spoke to him afterwards I explained that I was a huge fan and his music was a big part of me and my friends friendship and how he was a huge influence on my songwriting and that I cover a lot of his and he was like "oh really which ones?" and I mentioned a few and then my friend chimed in with "oh, she does a great Alabama Acres" and he was like "Oh wow really? That's awesome" because I don't think he expected that one, of all songs, to be one to cover haha but he was super chatty and friendly. I bought some shirts, and my friend buys a shirt and hands him a bunch of cash and he goes to give her change and she's like "No, dude. keep it, you've come all the way to the UK" and he kept trying to give her extra stuff and she was like "oh my god Kevin just take the money" it was pretty funny, she gave him a stern mothering look and he just took it haha. 

There is the other bands area in general, I've mentioned KDev a bunch but I can't recall if I ever made a thread for him, but I might now that I know I'm not alone haha

to try and steer this more towards MCS, Justin Pierre has actually seen my MCS cover thats on youtube and facebooked me about it, probably one of my best interactions with a music person I've ever had. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Justin Pierre has actually seen my MCS cover thats on youtube and facebooked me about it, probably one of my best interactions with a music person I've ever had. 

It’s pretty cool how easy it is to interact with him. He usually tries to like and respond to you if you comment on his stuff. I responded to his story and told him I liked his little acoustic version of Ready Player One. Of course I had to add the ”I can’t believe I’m talking to you” comment but he’s pretty cool with people. He replied to me about coming to see him sometime, I felt bad thinking that was never going to happen but it might if I’m lucky with this show date lol. Justin is just one of the coolest nerds ever and it would be awesome to be casual friends with him, even if he wasn’t famous.

I even had Tony message me back about where he got his cool varsity jacket he frequently wears. Still waiting for Matt to tell me where got his pajama pants he wore at Musink 2015 lol.

It’s really fascinating and very appreciative to see bands of this size to interact with their fans. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

It’s pretty cool how easy it is to interact with him. He usually tries to like and respond to you if you comment on his stuff. I responded to his story and told him I liked his little acoustic version of Ready Player One. Of course I had to add the ”I can’t believe I’m talking to you” comment but he’s pretty cool with people. He replied to me about coming to see him sometime, I felt bad thinking that was never going to happen but it might if I’m lucky with this show date lol. Justin is just one of the coolest nerds ever and it would be awesome to be casual friends with him, even if he wasn’t famous.

I even had Tony message me back about where he got his cool varsity jacket he frequently wears. Still waiting for Matt to tell me where got his pajama pants he wore at Musink 2015 lol.

It’s really fascinating and very appreciative to see bands of this size to interact with their fans. 

When I met MCS I had like a full 5 minute chat with Tony it was awesome, he's a lovely dude. I was too scared to speak to Justin in person haha

• Like 1

Met KD and interviewed him once, very nice guy and very down to earth. One of my favorite shows was him and Jesse Lacey when they played together solo acoustic sets. JL is still a great songwriter/singer despite his shortcomings as a person.

Met JP a few times too and he is very nice but clearly overwhelmed and anxious in public. So I always appreciated him taking time to meet fans even when he literally didn't talk to reserve his voice.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Met KD and interviewed him once, very nice guy and very down to earth. One of my favorite shows was him and Jesse Lacey when they played together solo acoustic sets. JL is still a great songwriter/singer despite his shortcomings as a person.

Met JP a few times too and he is very nice but clearly overwhelmed and anxious in public. So I always appreciated him taking time to meet fans even when he literally didn't talk to reserve his voice.

Ohhh, I totally forgot about this. Your comment reminded me that when I went to see MCS in 2012 I had an interview with Justin but he didn't do it, he wasn't talking because he needed his voice for the show that night so he was only gesticulating and somehow he sent me to Tony to do the interview - all of this without talking - and he was making all these gestures to say that he was sorry about that but he had to take care of his voice. It was so weird but you could tell he was a nice guy haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made a playlist for my friend who I’m dragging to see MCS with me. Revisited Panic Stations and I didn’t give the proper judgement it deserved. I don’t know why I didn’t give much praise to it, maybe I didn’t like the new production style, didn’t like the feel of Clauido’s drumming/missed Tony, or just thought it didn’t have as much edge as the other albums. I think Justin was probably in his best state of mind when he wrote the songs so it probably comes off as more optimistic than others. Outside of some songs, it’s a real solid album.

PS, it doesn’t say who did the music video, but I get the feeling it was done by the same guy who did the California videos. Looks like the California font as well.