Motion City Soundtrack — General Thread

boxelder

Every album was solid and a deep part of my core from my late teens through my 20s. 

I dont know why I never listened to panic stations but TKO and I can feel you are actually pretty good. 

I had to replace a broken toilet seal a few weekends ago and put GO on. I was blown away by how much I used to listen to that album and had completely forgotten. it was a genuinely good time being locked away in a bathroom with that nostalgia bomb. Boxelder has been in my head ever since. I used to hate that song or so i thought, but the chorus rules. 

I'm excited to drive to work and listen to sunny day because i genuinely remember loving it but i cant for the life of me remember what it sounds like. Everyone is asleep and i dont wanna wake anyone up. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alan Rickman said:

I'm excited to drive to work and listen to sunny day because i genuinely remember loving it but i cant for the life of me remember what it sounds like. Everyone is asleep and i dont wanna wake anyone up. 

Almost forgot about that one last night. I have no idea why it ended up a b-side. Always thought it was a very aggressive happy song lol. There’s nothing really dark about the lyrics but Justin’s vocals just go HAM on all emotions. I always try to sing along to MCS songs but fail miserably because Justin’s vocals are insanely good and out of my range.

My buddy is a Kevin Devine superfan and they're pretty close, at least in an artist/performer kind of way. They have each others phone number and KD asked him to drive him about 1000 miles to a gig once, which my buddy declined.

Excited for MCS shows, but I wish they would write an album better than the last 2. It's been 5 years since the Matches reunited, and whilethey still play occasional shows and released 2 whole songs, I would kill for an album.

• Wow 1

2 hours ago, OliversAPilotNow said:

My buddy is a Kevin Devine superfan and they're pretty close, at least in an artist/performer kind of way. They have each others phone number and KD asked him to drive him about 1000 miles to a gig once, which my buddy declined.

lol, KD pulled a "pick me up at the airport" favor request.

VIP upgrade:

"In addition to the usual fanfare from past excursions, we are excited to be offering a limited edition 7” with 2 exclusive tracks, custom handwritten lyrics from Justin Courtney Pierre, and a soundcheck party where we’ll play songs just for you that no one else will hear on the tour."

https://motioncitysoundtrack.manheadmerch.com/products/dont-call-it-a-comeback-vip-upgrade

also presale began yesterday at 10:00am. Here is the password you need in order to make this happen:

MCS2020

12 hours ago, jlx9 said:

I get the feeling it was done by the same guy who did the California videos. Looks like the California font as well.

nah, the one from california is neutraface:

https://houseind.com/hi/neutraface

in the inside out video, it looks to be the same one as on GO, ITC avant garde:

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/itc/avant-garde-gothic/

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 7:17 AM, Alan Rickman said:

I had to replace a broken toilet seal a few weekends ago and put GO on. I was blown away by how much I used to listen to that album and had completely forgotten. it was a genuinely good time being locked away in a bathroom with that nostalgia bomb. Boxelder has been in my head ever since. I used to hate that song or so i thought, but the chorus rules. 

where you think i got my username from? :)

but no, go is the same for me. i have strange relationship with it. i listened to it a lot when it came out, but sat it aside because to me it felt a disappointment because MDL was such a banger all the way through. go has moments where, admittedly, you can begin to see patterns show up a little too frequently (timelines, for example, while still a powerful, enjoyable song, is the first time for me the band begins to feel like it's going through the motions). years later, putting go on was a revelation. it's sequenced in such an ace way, and every song kicks. it's a breath of fresh air. some of the lyrical content is incredibly depressing, but it also feels like an interesting document of mid-30s malaise, turning the corner from youthful energy to starting a family, etc. in that way, for me, it can be rewarding too. floating down the river is a very uplifting exploration of that theme, that also IMO has one of justin's most deeply sad lyrics ever:

"I only wish I were younger, so I would have more time to explore"

37 minutes ago, boxelder said:

where you think i got my username from? :)

but no, go is the same for me. i have strange relationship with it. i listened to it a lot when it came out, but sat it aside because to me it felt a disappointment because MDL was such a banger all the way through. go has moments where, admittedly, you can begin to see patterns show up a little too frequently (timelines, for example, while still a powerful, enjoyable song, is the first time for me the band begins to feel like it's going through the motions). years later, putting go on was a revelation. it's sequenced in such an ace way, and every song kicks. it's a breath of fresh air. some of the lyrical content is incredibly depressing, but it also feels like an interesting document of mid-30s malaise, turning the corner from youthful energy to starting a family, etc. in that way, for me, it can be rewarding too. floating down the river is a very uplifting exploration of that theme, that also IMO has one of justin's most deeply sad lyrics ever:

"I only wish I were younger, so I would have more time to explore"

Floating Down The River is probably the only song on that record that I just have absolutely no time for at all. I love the album but that one falls totally flat for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would love to see them again but not at a festival, I saw them at slam dunk at Cardiff in like 2012 and it just wasn't worth it, and that was with Say Anything and all. 

9 minutes ago, prankerd14 said:

Yeh they will probably have such a small set at a festival too :(

have we had any news of a new album yet? Are they back for good or just a quick tour cus there skint lol

I think it's the latter, they've not confirmed they've reunited or anything so it may be just for money. I think they're back with Tony though aren't they? who knows maybe we will get more music. 

1 hour ago, prankerd14 said:

I cant see anything online apart from some tour dates, im guessing it depends on how well justins solo stuff was received...

I love the dude but his solo record did nothing for me, didn't see it get particularly rave reviews either. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kay said:

I love the dude but his solo record did nothing for me

to me it sounds like farewell continental combined with motion city outtakes. which was enough for me. 

but i love justin's voice. he could sing random reddit posts and i'd buy it on vinyl.

• Haha 1