Motion City Soundtrack — General Thread

boxelder

• 7 months later...

flying under the radar a little, but MCS put out their first new studio music since 2015 today! it's a cover of fountains of wayne's "a dip in the ocean" for a tribute comp to adam schlesinger. check it out -- tony's back behind the kit!

https://fatherdaughterrecords.bandcamp.com/track/a-dip-in-the-ocean

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, boxelder said:

flying under the radar a little, but MCS put out their first new studio music since 2015 today!

GTFO boxy that's awesome! you know what would be great? if motion city did an entire covers album. i don't mean compile all the non-album cover tracks they've already done, i mean pick like 16 new songs and cover them. would be BOSS.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, boxelder said:

flying under the radar a little, but MCS put out their first new studio music since 2015 today! it's a cover of fountains of wayne's "a dip in the ocean" for a tribute comp to adam schlesinger. check it out -- tony's back behind the kit!

https://fatherdaughterrecords.bandcamp.com/track/a-dip-in-the-ocean

Just heard the whole album today, it's wonderful, but now my heart is all broken again. The cover of A Dip In The Ocean is fucking beautiful. 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, Chrisx37 said:

These guys are amazing. I started listening a few months ago and I can't believe I've missed out on them for so long.

glad you’re into them! they’ve got a very rich discography. very solid group of albums that really stand the test of time. would really like to see them make another and really knock it out of the park, get weirder than ever before. my one issue with MCS is that they always claimed influence from archers of loaf or superchunk when really those influences only seemed mildly apt for their first album. the rest of it sounds like standard issue pop punk fare. would love to see them change it up and tour with a band like charly bliss or something 

3 hours ago, boxelder said:

glad you’re into them! they’ve got a very rich discography. very solid group of albums that really stand the test of time. would really like to see them make another and really knock it out of the park, get weirder than ever before. my one issue with MCS is that they always claimed influence from archers of loaf or superchunk

i consider them the best band of the emo-ish/pop-ish/punk-ish/indie-ish genre, post-2000. easily.

how much superchunk have you listened to? because justin manages to ape them on every single motion city album, not just the early stuff.

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i consider them the best band of the emo-ish/pop-ish/punk-ish/indie-ish genre, post-2000. easily.

how much superchunk have you listened to? because justin manages to ape them on every single motion city album, not just the early stuff.

i concede superchunk wasn’t my best example — you’re right in saying there’s traces of that throughout. but for example, he’s claimed clouds taste metallic by the flaming lips as one of his favorite albums, but you just don’t hear that influence come out as far as i can tell. really, it all just sounds like a mix of the rentals and get up kids

On 6/20/2020 at 4:21 PM, boxelder said:

he’s claimed clouds taste metallic by the flaming lips as one of his favorite albums, but you just don’t hear that influence come out

yea this was a point i made with blink's influences. there's what a band/artist say influenced them, and what you can actually hear in their music. they are often very different.

22 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea this was a point i made with blink's influences. there's what a band/artist say influenced them, and what you can actually hear in their music. they are often very different.

The issue is, they are influenced by it but not in a way the listener would notice. MCS is one of my biggest influences regarding my songwriting, but you won't hear their style or specific parts in my music. You can be influenced without just straight up copying bits. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, boxelder said:

glad you’re into them! they’ve got a very rich discography. very solid group of albums that really stand the test of time. would really like to see them make another and really knock it out of the park, get weirder than ever before. my one issue with MCS is that they always claimed influence from archers of loaf or superchunk when really those influences only seemed mildly apt for their first album. the rest of it sounds like standard issue pop punk fare. would love to see them change it up and tour with a band like charly bliss or something 

I've listened to them this year more than any other band with the exception of blink and I still feel like I've barely scratched the service haha. Hopefully that Dip in the Ocean cover leads to some more music!

By the way, did you get your name from their song or is that coincidental?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chrisx37 said:

I've listened to them this year more than any other band with the exception of blink and I still feel like I've barely scratched the service haha. Hopefully that Dip in the Ocean cover leads to some more music!

By the way, did you get your name from their song or is that coincidental?

continue to dig in! even the b-sides are charming. and yes and no to your question. i frequented a simpsons fan forum in the '00s and liked someone named boxelder's username. then i also liked the boxelder song from MCS. TLDR: i stole it, but the MCS thing works lol

• Like 1

@boxelder  I always thought it was because of the Pavement song called Boxelder (and it's a great song too!) 

~

Last night I saw a tweet from Tony and it looks like he's playing drums with Joyce Manor now? I gotta ask Barry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

@boxelder  I always thought it was because of the Pavement song called Boxelder (and it's a great song too!) 

~

Last night I saw a tweet from Tony and it looks like he's playing drums with Joyce Manor now? I gotta ask Barry. 

whaaaaaaaat. did they lose a drummer again? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread to ask if anybody went out to their reunion tour. I’ve been meaning to post my experience when I saw them at the Roxian Theatre in Pittsburgh, but later forgot about it.

Can’t say much other than that the show was fantastic as expected. I snooped at the setlists from previous nights so I knew what to expect, but we did get “Indoor Living” in the encore as a special treat after a fan kept asking for it earlier - to which Justin said “Not gonna happen!” ;) I posted a video of the banter and Justin ended up retweeting it. I dragged my best friend to go with me who is not a big music enthusiast and hasn’t gone to any real concerts before (I’m not much of a concert goer either but I’m trying). We ended up getting separated due to the crowd but he was within my range and I should’ve stayed with him because he had a better view despite being further away from the stage. I made a MCS playlist for him months before the concert and he at least recognized The Future Freaks Me Out. He’s slowly catching on though. 

Not much to complain except for the merch being overpriced while not having any decent designs. I ended up getting a tour poster to frame in my room and a t-shirt but it was in a “youth large” size, which was basically a medium after I got home and tried it on, but whatever. I’ve heard that they played “Worker Bee” for one of the other shows, which is one of my favorites, but not that big of a deal when my show got “Indoor Living” along with most of my favorites that were likely to be played. A little TMI but I had to badly go to the bathroom during the whole show after eating at some sketchy diner, but managed to soldier on for about 5 hours...

Probably the only good thing to happen in my 2020 lol. I hope they stay together. I understand that they have families now and can’t be doing these things constantly, so I’m cool if they take breaks every now and then. This was the first time seeing them live and I’m glad I’ve got to because I’ve been meaning to since they broke up in 2016. 

I’m very lazy and don’t feel like spamming pictures so here’s my IG post about it: 

And a compilation of some clips I got from the show. It’s so hard to sing along to MCS songs when they’re all WAYYYYY out of my vocal range so have fun listening to me: 

5 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Bumping this thread to ask if anybody went out to their reunion tour.

so bummed i could not! i've seen motion city over a dozen times since 2006. every tour, multiple dates. highlights were the two nights / four albums tour, the commit this to memory 10th anniversary tour, and the farewell tour.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

so bummed i could not! i've seen motion city over a dozen times since 2006. every tour, multiple dates. highlights were the two nights / four albums tour, the commit this to memory 10th anniversary tour, and the farewell tour.

That reminds me. I found out that they played at my university back in 2006. Too bad I was just 6 at the time lol. Probably the only time they’ve played in my state.

I got to see them twice, first time I was in the first 20 to buy tickets so I got to meet them it was awesome. Justin listened to a cover I did of Last Night years ago and asked if he could share it (he didn't) and randomly commented on a photo of mine with the band like 7 years after haha

• Like 2