Motion City Soundtrack — General Thread

boxelder

I’ve seen them a few times mostly at festivals. One of my friends was actually working press at a festival they were playing at and since he knew I would’ve loved to meet them but not get the chance he got two of the guys in the band to record a video just saying hi to me haha. Something so small but it was super cool. I’ll have to see if I can find it it’s somewhere on Facebook.

The last time I saw them was unfortunately the worst but no fault of the band. The sound desk was fucked and would literally just blow out every three to four songs so we would have to just wait for 5-10 mins each time for it to reboot. Super unfortunate but nothing the band could do about it just a shame it’s my last memory of seeing them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hyland Lament said:

@Russel Coight Was that at the Manning Bar in Sydney? I went to that show the sound was fucked. Regardless they’re such a tight band and my favourite songwriters 

Yep that was the one! Was totally fucked. Been to so many gigs there and that has never happened before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was coming here to post about the new song, glad to see people already checking it out. I’m so happy this band is making music again. Justin’s lyrics are as hard hitting as always and the band is on fire, the piano ending was especially vibey!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisx37 said:

Why is Justin tweeting about pizza instead of the new song? lol

Here's the song btw:

Tbf he's just hard surgery he's probably a little off right now lol

I shall check this out later. 

Only have listened to it a handful of times but I’m really digging it. Didn’t expect this at all. The song sounds like it could be from the EIIKM/MDL/Go era with the production and even Justin’s voice sounds like his younger self. I saw an Youtube comment stating that this was originally recorded for Twlight when they were still with Sony but it got rejected and the label still kept the rights when they moved to Epitaph. Justin played a snippet for some VIPs during his solo tour and said the band would release it once they gained the rights back to it. Don’t know if it’s completely re-recorded but I’m taking a guess it is - Justin’s voice kinda changed around Panic Stations so (as I said before) I’m surprised to hear him sound like his younger self but maybe they’re old vocals. I kinda hear his “newer” style in the verses but the chorus sounds like it came straight from the older era. 

Anyways, I’m loving the hell out of this track. I don’t know if it’s because it’s unexpected new music so I’m excited but I’m liking it more than most of Panic Stations and Go (good albums but they are both sonically different and don’t hit me as consistently as older records). Does anybody else think this sounds like a progression from the Making Moves EP, which was the last official release from Tony Thaxton until this came out? I’m getting major nostalgic vibes like the band is finally back together as a full-time band, even if this is technically an old track. I’m cool with the part-time gig if they just tour every now and then and drop surprises like this unexpectedly, whatever works for them. 

• Like 2

listening to this in earnest today and it's a very odd experience... i got into motion city during the MDL era, so it's pretty bizarre to hear a song from that time surface, unaltered and previously unreleased. i think career-wise there was a level of consistent quality across the board, but MDL was maybe the apex... they were truly at the top of their game IMO. crooked ways is just another winner...the fact that it went unreleased and forgotten is sort-of a tragedy. can you imagine how many new fans MCS could've made from being on a twilight soundtrack?

the song's wonderful, i really really love it. it's pretty slow and middle-of-the-road upon first listen, but it grew on me so much. it honestly feels like a classic.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

nah bro. that's an okay album. but commit this to memory was the magnum opus, their absolute peak.

Commit this to Memory and I Am the Movie are my favourite. MDL comes in 3rd, with EIIKM in last place. Never listened to the other stuff. I think my favourite tune by them is Time to Turn fragile, just love that breakdown near the end. 

9 hours ago, daveyjones said:

nah bro. that's an okay album. but commit this to memory was the magnum opus, their absolute peak.

I honestly think Commit, EIIKM and MDL are all equally brilliant. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, daveyjones said:

you’re right, apex is the wrong word, but i think they were operating at a wonderful level on MDL... it’s certainly second best in my book, with every song a keeper aside from hysteria.

can you imagine if we got a non album track like crooked ways or always running out of time instead of hysteria? would be amazing

• Like 2

9 hours ago, boxelder said:

it’s certainly second best in my book, with every song a keeper aside from hysteria.

huh. the one i skip is "history lesson." i think overall dinosaur life is a bit too slow for me. "a life less ordinary" should be 1.5x or 2x faster. but i get it, they signed to a major and needed to deliver a radio-friendly single. something they could play on letterman.

but some of those others... man! "pulp fiction" and "the weakends" are on my top 10 motion city tracklist of all time.

FYI i have the deluxe edition boxset of the album where every two songs are on a 7." pre-order was $60. god know what they go for now.
https://www.discogs.com/Motion-City-Soundtrack-My-Dinosaur-Life/release/2501367