Jump to content
 

Motion City Soundtrack — General Thread


boxelder
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

i remember liking mdl a lot when it came out and now it's hard to listen to. it kind of seems empty and almost self-aware in a strange way. like JP was channeling himself rather than being himself. Go is under-rated. 

That's...an interesting take. Really not sure how you got there. Go is totes underrated though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kay said:

That's...an interesting take. Really not sure how you got there. Go is totes underrated though. 

let me put it this way, Justin seemed to be still in his recovery and seemed to still use his vices as a muse that had been romanticized to death by him. he feels burned out and still trying to write songs about being a wreck. 

What if there's nothing more to me?
I'm just skin and bones.
There's no mystery.
What if you're just an empty shell?
All your spare parts were used up by someone else.
What if there's no way to explain things like deja vu and acid rain?
What if we're all just broken shelves, full of someone else's thoughts?

That and it has way less emotional punch to the earlier records. it's like he's writing about 2002.. still. Deja vu! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

let me put it this way, Justin seemed to be still in his recovery and seemed to still use his vices as a muse that had been romanticized to death by him. he feels burned out and still trying to write songs about being a wreck. 

What if there's nothing more to me?
I'm just skin and bones.
There's no mystery.
What if you're just an empty shell?
All your spare parts were used up by someone else.
What if there's no way to explain things like deja vu and acid rain?
What if we're all just broken shelves, full of someone else's thoughts?

That and it has way less emotional punch to the earlier records. it's like he's writing about 2002.. still. Deja vu! 

Wasn't dinosaur life written only after he was going into recovery? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

i think he relapsed over and over

If that's the case, then surely it was still current feelings for him? Like yes, it's not treading new ground lyrically for him but I don't really see it as inauthentic. Dissappear, Stand Too Close, Her Words,  Weakends etc they all feel very real in regards to his issues at that time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Kay said:

If that's the case, then surely it was still current feelings for him? Like yes, it's not treading new ground lyrically for him but I don't really see it as inauthentic. Dissappear, Stand Too Close, Her Words,  Weakends etc they all feel very real in regards to his issues at that time. 

Well, I didn't say it was inauthentic. it just feels like Justin had been doing this recovery-vent-through-music cycle for so long that it didn't have the urgency or the originality that it used to. his self-destructive behavior basically becoming its own cliche and I think that is even reflective in the songs in a meta way (i view it as intentional to a point). you kind of go through the songs and pick up a lot of past references, the same themes over and over, nostalgia being a huge thematic element, etc.

Instead of Twin Peak afternoons, you have Veronica Mars sleep ins. Instead of New Years alone, you have Christmas alone. Instead of believing in medication, you swim in pharmaceuticals. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2020 at 12:14 PM, _Kyle_ said:

it just feels like Justin had been doing this recovery-vent-through-music cycle for so long that it didn't have the urgency or the originality that it used to.

i consider it a persona and it's one of my favorite things about the band.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

So not sure if any of you know but Justin has a solo EP out soon.

I didnt like his solo album 'In The Drink' much but I got a review copy of this EP and it's actually pretty good. Comfortably familiar, honestly sounds more MCS than Panic Stations did haha

first single is already out - 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trainwreck said:

Tony is back playing drums on this, yeah? I reckon that’s a big part of it

I'm not actually sure, to be honest the drums didn't stick out much to me but to be fair I only listened through a few times for the review, I want to enjoy it later on without the critical mind whirring lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

new JCP EP is fresh. excited to see they're going on tour again. will def be present at the ATL show.

worth noting, their shopify page lists a VIP perk as being recorded for an upcoming MCS song, which implies they're at least working on new original music!

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, boxelder said:

new JCP EP is fresh. excited to see they're going on tour again. will def be present at the ATL show.

worth noting, their shopify page lists a VIP perk as being recorded for an upcoming MCS song, which implies they're at least working on new original music!

The EP is pretty good aye, it sounded much more like good MCS unlike his debut. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i find a bit sad that they went out on endless anniversary tours and a farewell tour...only to come back with a reunion tour and more anniversary tours.

it's what they want to play. they don't want to constantly tour and they don't seem to be interested in making more albums (the fan VIP recording is for a tour 7"). so the easiest way to market that is anniversary / full album tours.

for a band who wants to tour occasionally but not record new material, it's the most logical choice. i do agree that we can hang it up for CTTM. give us full album mini tours of the other ones. i fully anticipate an IATM 20th in 2023.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...