FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019

Scott.

4 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

After like the 5th goal, they should have cut out the celebrations. I get scoring as many goals as you can, but a little humility goes a long way.

This.

They were still jumping and screaming after the 10th goal... I was like, bish really ?

Professional ruthlessness at its finest. The World Cup is the pinnacle of the game and celebrating each and every goal is fine by me. For some this could be their only chance or last chance to play at a World Cup so milking every moment isn’t a problem. Good on them. 

9 minutes ago, 2point5 said:

Professional ruthlessness at its finest. The World Cup is the pinnacle of the game and celebrating each and every goal is fine by me. For some this could be their only chance or last chance to play at a World Cup so milking every moment isn’t a problem. Good on them. 

I agree, be ruthless and score as many goals as you want, got no issue with that.

But the gulf in class was so ridiculous, every on the pitch/in the ground/watching on TV could see that, yet they celebrated every goal like a 93rd minute winner. Even a slightly toned down celebration would of seemed a bit classier, they were running around like fucking nutters jumping in the air when they were 10-0 up, was fucking cringe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ...Dan... said:

I agree, be ruthless and score as many goals as you want, got no issue with that.

But the gulf in class was so ridiculous, every on the pitch/in the ground/watching on TV could see that, yet they celebrated every goal like a 93rd minute winner. Even a slightly toned down celebration would of seemed a bit classier, they were running around like fucking nutters jumping in the air when they were 10-0 up, was fucking cringe. 

New to yanks pal? Was the most American thing I’ve ever seen

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I know what you’re saying, and yeah it was over the top. But if I scored at a World Cup, regardless of the score or level of opposition, I too would be going pretty crazy. 

4 hours ago, 2point5 said:

I know what you’re saying, and yeah it was over the top. But if I scored at a World Cup, regardless of the score or level of opposition, I too would be going pretty crazy. 

I see what you're saying, but there comes a point where you're not so much celebrating your team's/your own accomplishments as celebrating the utter lack of support Thailand gives their women's team (due to choice or ability, not sure which). There's no doubt the US is a dominant team, but that game was a reflection of the huge disparity in resources more than anything else.

3 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I see what you're saying, but there comes a point where you're not so much celebrating your team's/your own accomplishments as celebrating the utter lack of support Thailand gives their women's team (due to choice or ability, not sure which). There's no doubt the US is a dominant team, but that game was a reflection of the huge disparity in resources more than anything else.

Thailand’s lack of resources isn’t USA’s problem though. This is a professional sport, and the biggest competition in the game not some friendly exhibition match. Obviously Thailand are gonna be the whipping girls of the group so depending on how other games go in the group, goal difference might be a factor as in who goes through to the knockout round so every goal could be just as important as the last. I’m not completely heartless and understand that a result like that is embarrassing for the Thai team and that the celebrations were a bit over the top. But I still stand on the side of celebrating a goal at the highest level of the game however you want, regardless of current score line or opposition. 

53 minutes ago, 2point5 said:

Thailand’s lack of resources isn’t USA’s problem though. This is a professional sport, and the biggest competition in the game not some friendly exhibition match. Obviously Thailand are gonna be the whipping girls of the group so depending on how other games go in the group, goal difference might be a factor as in who goes through to the knockout round so every goal could be just as important as the last. I’m not completely heartless and understand that a result like that is embarrassing for the Thai team and that the celebrations were a bit over the top. But I still stand on the side of celebrating a goal at the highest level of the game however you want, regardless of current score line or opposition. 

Unfortunately, Thailand is not even the worst team in the group (on paper, anyway); Chile is ranked a few spots lower. They played well against Sweden, but Sweden has terrible offence anyway. USA-Chile will likely be similar.