Worst part of being a Blink fan?

Meltdown Tracker

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

And them breaking up at their peak. I honestly believe the 2005-2006 album would've topped the smiley face album if they could fix their issues. 

Yep. This for sure. A 2005-2006 album would've kicked ass. Mark and Travis were writing amazing music still at that point, and if Tom's space influence would have been kept in check and combined with Mark and Travis' influence I think we would have had some seriously kickass blink music in a world where +44 and AVA never existed.

With that said, I actually think the most fun time to be a blink fan was during their hiatus, and immediately after it ended. Getting excited about new +44 and AVA music at the same time was very fun for me, and whenever they'd play a blink song live or make blink references it'd make me very happy. 2009 was super exciting too, and the reunion tour was amazing. Sadly that excitement didn't last. But I'd say I had the most fun as a blink-182 fan from 2006-2009. Ironically.

• Like 3

"Space influence" Lol.

My favorite time as a blink fan was probably Toypaj, sneaking to a friend's to listen to it front to back and the bonus tracks were so edgy at the time. 

Self titled I was obsessed with but it was the start of everyone's emo phase so I'd say the hiatus was definitely a blast. It was so dramatic and led up to the excitement of a reunion.  

While they were gone, they were still very relevant.

• Like 1

Im with everyone in that them breaking up at their peak was their worst.

I think how badly they fucked up the reunion and everything since is right up there though.  Mostly the comeback though. Couldve been a massive reinvention of the band but sadly it was a half assed effort that did nothing.

• Like 2

They don't make great music anymore and bar a couple of highlights they haven't really done so since 2003. 

The fanboys who lap up everything they do like it makes them some kind of superfan.

Matt Skiba.

Mark being so desperate to stay relevant rather than focusing on making better music. 

• Like 5

The knowledge that feeling like "blink doesn't work well without Tom" is probably the exact reason Mark feels so insecure that he needs to hire outside writers to begin with. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

No studio version of their A Letter to Elise cover like Another Girl Another Planet.

And them breaking up at their peak. I honestly believe the 2005-2006 album would've topped the smiley face album if they could fix their issues. Could've been the biggest rock band in the world at the time. Like Foo Fighters/Coldplay of the 2000s. Everything Tom had envisioned for AVA was on the verge of happening with blink IMO.

You're right about A Letter to Elise. Thankfully, the live version they did was recorded well and sounds really good. Shows how good they can sound live with Mark singing and Tom actually trying to play the guitar. 

• Like 2

realising that even a band that seemed to have been created on a bond of true friendship and idgaf attitude can turn into a complete shit show when money comes into play..

and realising after california that even diehard blink fans can have embarassing opinions about music in general

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

With that said, I actually think the most fun time to be a blink fan was during their hiatus, and immediately after it ended. Getting excited about new +44 and AVA music at the same time was very fun for me, and whenever they'd play a blink song live or make blink references it'd make me very happy. 2009 was super exciting too, and the reunion tour was amazing. Sadly that excitement didn't last. But I'd say I had the most fun as a blink-182 fan from 2006-2009. Ironically.

That's so interesting, those were definitely my years in the wilderness as a Blink fan haha. I was SO bummed when they broke up and then only very half-heartedly followed their new projects during the breakup. AVA was laughable to me especially after Tom's batshit new persona at the time, +44 was cool but didn't quite hit me in the same way Blink ever did, Travis was becoming more of a tabloid/reality show presence, I just feel like that breakup period up until the plane crash was a time when I just had less and less interest in what any of them were up to. I wasn't into that era of pop punk music at all either which didn't help I suppose.

When the plane crash happened it made me remember how important they had been to me, and shortly after there was a report that Tom visited Travis in the hospital and they all sat down and talked at some point, and it snowballed up until the reunion of course, and from then on I've happily kept them back in my life haha. Not occupying the same spot they did when I was obsessed with them and their music pre-2005 but more like the sorta crazy extended-family members who you sometimes laugh and roll your eyes at during Thanksgiving dinner but you always love them anyway haha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Worst part of being a blink fan is that 90% of the hardcore fans are weird miserable tombots who have grown out of blink and haven't had a good time in over 10 years.

And the other 10% think everything they do is gold including BIOMY. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

Worst part of being a blink fan is that 90% of the hardcore fans are weird miserable tombots who have grown out of blink and haven't had a good time in over 10 years.

There's a difference between having valid criticism of the band that is supported by reasons, and being "weird miserable tombots." I don't think there are even many tombots on here anymore. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Champ182 said:

That's so interesting, those were definitely my years in the wilderness as a Blink fan haha. I was SO bummed when they broke up and then only very half-heartedly followed their new projects during the breakup. AVA was laughable to me especially after Tom's batshit new persona at the time, +44 was cool but didn't quite hit me in the same way Blink ever did, Travis was becoming more of a tabloid/reality show presence, I just feel like that breakup period up until the plane crash was a time when I just had less and less interest in what any of them were up to. I wasn't into that era of pop punk music at all either which didn't help I suppose.

The difference for me is that I didn't become a fan until right after the hiatus started. The first few years of my blink fandom where when the band didn't even exist.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

There's a difference between having valid criticism of the band that is supported by reasons, and being "weird miserable tombots." I don't think there are even many tombots on here anymore. 

Ghent really doesn't get the Tombot thing, it's like some kind of reflex he has for anyone who has anything negative to say about blink. 

But is only natural for people to gravitate towards Tom again, look at the music they made with him overall and the music they are making now, can you blame some people for wanting him back? sure he's a fucking headcase and unreliable but that's how bad things are going with the new line up, most fans would rather have that with all his flaws and then risk than have the current blink line up churn out mediocre All Time Low covers and attempts of making pop music that stopped being relevant in 2013. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Ghent really doesn't get the Tombot thing, it's like some kind of reflex he has for anyone who has anything negative to say about blink. 

But is only natural for people to gravitate towards Tom again, look at the music they made with him overall and the music they are making now, can you blame some people for wanting him back? sure he's a fucking headcase and unreliable but that's how bad things are going with the new line up, most fans would rather have that with all his flaws and then risk than have the current blink line up churn out mediocre All Time Low covers and attempts of making pop music that stopped being relevant in 2013. 

Yeah I always hated AvA and all of a sudden I have like 5 posters above my bed.  Blink has gotten so bad.