New Single/Video for Generational Divide (Out Friday!)

Ghent

11 hours ago, Scott. said:

Oliver would add more to the band than the puppet Matt Skiba. At least he actually knows what proper blink fans want. Anyone happy with BIOMY is on a wum and not a real fan imo

Yup. Anyone who likes this shit is essentially rooting for blink to continue on this downward spiral.  This isn't just bad music it's everything that blink was not.  They make fun of boy bands and people who take themselves too seriously and now that's what they are.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Can't eat at the restaurant after your favorite chef leaves but I can always listen to Feeling This to wash out BIOMY after it pops up randomly on spotify.

I’m not arguing that. What you’ve said is the perfect response to anyone who doesn’t like current blink. Go back and enjoy their older material. That stuff will always be gold even if you don’t like the new stuff. But don’t keep coming back with the same complaints over and over because the sound is different now. We know they’re not releasing the same music as they did back in the early 2000’s, but that doesn’t mean people can’t enjoy the stuff they’re releasing now. 

Also I’m not trying to come across as the worlds hugest blink fan. I too wish Tom was back and the sound was less poppy. I have many complaints with how things are right now. But it’s boring hearing the same things over and over every day with every single release. This is how things are now. We have to accept it whether we like it or not. And if you don’t like it there are other bands out there to enjoy. You don’t need to cling on because blink used to be your favourite band is all I was saying.

7 hours ago, 2point5 said:

I’m not arguing that. What you’ve said is the perfect response to anyone who doesn’t like current blink. Go back and enjoy their older material. That stuff will always be gold even if you don’t like the new stuff. But don’t keep coming back with the same complaints over and over because the sound is different now. We know they’re not releasing the same music as they did back in the early 2000’s, but that doesn’t mean people can’t enjoy the stuff they’re releasing now. 

Also I’m not trying to come across as the worlds hugest blink fan. I too wish Tom was back and the sound was less poppy. I have many complaints with how things are right now. But it’s boring hearing the same things over and over every day with every single release. This is how things are now. We have to accept it whether we like it or not. And if you don’t like it there are other bands out there to enjoy. You don’t need to cling on because blink used to be your favourite band is all I was saying.

Fair enough. I just think the true blink fans are the ones who follow through thick and thin, who would love to use BIOMY as toilet paper if it wasn't digital only, who keep following the band even after 2.5 shitty releases.

And blink didn't use to be my favorite band, they ARE my favorite band, I'm just beyond underwhelmed by this Skiba and Friends catastrophe.

By your logic, Davey Jones shouldn't be on the boards giving his input because he thinks they started selling out during Dude Ranch or some shit.

Sorry the majority of blink fans are lukewarm on the new shit and are voicing it...?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Fair enough. I just think the true blink fans are the ones who follow through thick and thin, who would love to use BIOMY as toilet paper if it wasn't digital only, who keep following the band even after 2.5 shitty releases.

And blink didn't use to be my favorite band, they ARE my favorite band, I'm just beyond underwhelmed by this Skiba and Friends catastrophe.

By your logic, Davey Jones shouldn't be on the boards giving his input because he thinks they started selling out during Dude Ranch or some shit.

Sorry the majority of blink fans are lukewarm on the new shit and are voicing it...?

So the only real blink fans are the ones that hate the new era but still continue to follow them? Not the fans who like both their old and new stuff? 

Im not saying your not a fan of the band if you don’t like their new stuff but to say anyone who doesn’t like the new stuff aren’t real fans is bullshit.

By that logic davey is the only real fan around since he liked blink from the very beginning and found everything underwhelming after the first big change which was dude ranch into enema.

16 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

If that was the case then anyone who like the band post dude ranch isn’t a real fan and @daveyjones is the only real fan here.

i don't think fandom is binary (you are or you aren't). it's a gradient, a spectrum...runs from stalkers to superfans to fans to casual fans etc etc.

i also think it's fair to evaluate a band as a whole differently as their individual efforts. so while i am a huge fan of the cheshire cat through dude ranch period, far less so of the enema to jacket era, and not a fan of the untitled times at all, i still consider myself "a fan" of the band.

30 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

he thinks

as i've pointed out many times on these boards, that's how i thought at the time. that's how just about everyone in the san diego punk scene felt about it at the time.

its fine that some people love the two new songs

its fine that they think its the greatiest songs ever writen or just some realy good songs

the problem is when we come in and explain with fine arguments why they are not up there with the best music writen in the past or currently or up to pair with the quality of music blink as provided in the past

and they try to say were not-real fans or that were trolling 

blink as taken this extremly poppy and 5second of summer type of direction

and its just not matching the original personality and dna of the band

so it comes off as fake and dishonest

it wasn't too long ago that tom and mark would make fun of bands that sound just like them atm

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i don't think fandom is binary (you are or you aren't). it's a gradient, a spectrum...runs from stalkers to superfans to fans to casual fans etc etc.

i also think it's fair to evaluate a band as a whole differently as their individual efforts. so while i am a huge fan of the cheshire cat through dude ranch period, far less so of the enema to jacket era, and not a fan of the untitled times at all, i still consider myself "a fan" of the band.

he thinks

as i've pointed out many times on these boards, that's how i thought at the time. that's how just about everyone in the san diego punk scene felt about it at the time.

What I was saying that it’s arrogant and stupid to claim that someone isn’t a “real fan” of the band because they like the music post Tom DeLonge, just like it would be arrogant and stupid for you to come here and say people aren’t “real fans” for liking the music post Scott Raynor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

And this mentality is exactly why scenes are bullshit and fans are annoying.

• Like 2

I don’t care if people like the new blink or not. Just weird that they would spend so much time on a fan forum talking about how much they dislike something. 

I can’t imagine investing that much effort into something I genuinely don’t like anymore. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

So the only real blink fans are the ones that hate the new era but still continue to follow them? Not the fans who like both their old and new stuff? 

Im not saying your not a fan of the band if you don’t like their new stuff but to say anyone who doesn’t like the new stuff aren’t real fans is bullshit.

By that logic davey is the only real fan around since he liked blink from the very beginning and found everything underwhelming after the first big change which was dude ranch into enema.

I didn't say any of that. Fans are fans. If you like blink to some degree then you like blink. I never said only people who like a certain incarnation of blink are the only real fans, so don't put words in my mouth. Likewise, you can't say that people who still support current blink are the only true fans either. Not saying you said that, but if you did, you're sadly mistaken.

I was illustrating a point and trying to explain why I post here even if I think Mark and co have lost the ability to make great music. I don't have to go away or leave these boards. If you want to interact with fans who only like current blink, I believe there's a Safe Haven section somewhere in here where you can go jizz over Generational Divide together. But outside of that, expect some criticism when blink continues to make music that's divisive. If I like a song, like Left Alone or Hey I'm Sorry, I say that. When I don't, I'll state my disappointment.

Someday I might grow out of caring about this band and stop posting here. It's already happening more and more with each release. Until then, I'll continue to state my opinion on this ever confounding band for as long as I see fit. Whether I like the music or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

he thinks

Ok fair enough, I was just using you as a talking point or example but yeah, those old school San Diego fans aren't any more or less of fans than anyone from the post-Travis era or even post-Tom era.

Maybe you're right and we're all fans on a blink spectrum but currently blink is pushing me away from the super fandom side and closer to the "I used to be obsessed but now I don't give a shit" territory.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

I didn't say any of that. Fans are fans. If you like blink to some degree then you like blink. I never said only people who like a certain incarnation of blink are the only real fans, so don't put words in my mouth. Likewise, you can't say that people who still support current blink are the only true fans either. Not saying you said that, but if you did, you're sadly mistaken.

When you said “Fair enough. I just think the true blink fans are the ones who follow through thick and thin, who would love to use BIOMY as toilet paper if it wasn't digital only, who keep following the band even after 2.5 shitty releases.”

it seemed like you were saying that those people are the only true blink fans. Wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth.