New song, "Happy Days", out monday

samukaskin

It's pretty formulaic but it's more along the lines of what I expect from this era of blink. Production wise I think it sounds better than anything they have released so far (Cali songs included) and it's quite genuine. I have been listening to it a few times since yesterday, while with BIOMY and GD I had no desire to do so. The chorus is so bland though, why do they keep fucking up the choruses? I don't like how it goes on repeating "happy days happy days" and Mark could have done better lyrically, but it's a nice song and I like it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kay said:

@Patient #48273 while most are polishing their knobs over it, I just want to let you know I'm in the patronising camp too, so we can be hated together. 

I agree with that Simple Plan comparison as well. I actually read something about them years ago, they said they never write songs for themselves but they write about what they feel their audience is going through, so their young audience can relate and they're happy with this. I guess it makes total sense for a band like Simple Plan but I don't want this from Mark.

I'm not even sure Mark is capable of writing better lyrics anymore though because even the Simple Creatures lyrics are so bad, yet people say SC is the best thing Mark has done since +44. His lyrics used to be so clever and engaging, especially from 2006 to 2012. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I agree with that Simple Plan comparison as well. I actually read something about them years ago, they said they never write songs for themselves but they write about what they feel their audience is going through, so their young audience can relate and they're happy with this. I guess it makes total sense for a band like Simple Plan but I don't want this from Mark.

I'm not even sure Mark is capable of writing better lyrics anymore though because even the Simple Creatures lyrics are so bad, yet people say SC is the best thing Mark has done since +44. His lyrics used to be so clever and engaging, especially from 2006 to 2012. 

yeah I get that a lot. I don't remotely understand what everyone is seeing in this song but if they like it, they like it. whatever. 

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

It's pretty formulaic but it's more along the lines of what I expect from this era of blink. Production wise I think it sounds better than anything they have released so far (Cali songs included) and it's quite genuine. I have been listening to it a few times since yesterday, while with BIOMY and GD I had no desire to do so. The chorus is so bland though, why do they keep fucking up the choruses? I don't like how it goes on repeating "happy days happy days" and Mark could have done better lyrically, but it's a nice song and I like it. 

This! Even though I like BIOMY and Happy Days, I think the choruses are the weakest parts of the songs and very bland. The same also for songs such as Misery, No Future and some other Cali songs...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kay said:

yeah I get that a lot. I don't remotely understand what everyone is seeing in this song but if they like it, they like it. whatever. 

Think I'm the only one that thinks this but despite the fact they've been working on this album for well over a year now, I can't help but feel the songs are still rushed. They started working on BIOMY in March/April. I remember seeing a video of Travis recording it back then. Yet the song was released not long after. Mark claims they keep writing more and more songs. I get the feeling that they just write a song and rush it and then move onto the next song and repeat.

Yeah, they used to write songs pretty quick in their early days. But there's still a massive difference in how they worked on them. Back then it was just 3 guys who'd write 10-15 songs and just work on those 10-15 songs and make them the best they can, rather than write more and more songs.I also feel Mark at his age now writes better when he overthinks stuff as well. He's not the same guy as he used to be when he could shit out great songs in 10 minutes. I don't think they've been taking their time on the album like most people here think. They're still rushing through the songwriting process IMO.

Most of Enema was written in 1998 around the October/November period. They spent 2 weeks just writing those songs. They had demos of them out in 1998. Then they improved on the songs when they actually started recording the album. They didn't just write more and more songs outside of when Jerry Finn convinced them to write a couple more songs to flesh the album out more. But that's still 12 songs altogether compared to like 50. They only scrapped Man Overboard and Life's So Boring too. So really, they wrote 14 songs for Enema. But with this upcoming album, they're gonna be scrapping loads. They're not taking their time at all with the songs from the upcoming album IMO.

I know there are bands that can write so many songs but one of blink's charms for me was that they'd be very focused on a short amount of songs rather than loads. I still feel Skiba is being underutilised too. Still not hearing much Trio/Sekrets/Heavens/Skiba influences. Only one I'm a huge fan of is Generational Divide, I just hate that it's 49 seconds. But it at least feels like a blink-182 song to me. I like BIOMY but it doesn't feel like blink and I feel Happy Days is a song that needs Tom on it. He'd fit perfectly on the song if he was still in the band.

Despite all of this though, they're definitely improving. California had so much trash. I haven't heard any trash yet (I'm aware a lot of people hate BIOMY). So that's a good thing for me. Hope the next one is a more aggressive song in the mould of Generational Divide or +44/Trio or just something cool & unique.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thomas D. said:

So the obvious conclusion here is that the girls of this forum have listened to too much Simple Plan in their lives.

considering half the board could hear Simple Plan in "Don't Mean Anything" I don't think it's just us.

to clarify, I've heard an album. I'm not a fan. 

• Like 1

It doesn't ruin it for me; I'd rather walk into an album completely blind but if they release a song I'm gonna listen to it. I've made all of their world premieres since Adam's Song, I'm not gonna start skipping them now.

14 hours ago, Ghent said:

I don't see anything childish about the lyrics. It's blink-182 we're talking about here, not Father John Misty or whatever the hip ex pop punkers listen to these days to feel special

I think actively listening to this song in your 30s will make you special.

19 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's not noteworthy for this song, but it's still hilarious that it took 7 people to write Generational Divide.

Exactly. If that's the best thing a group of 7 writers/producers can come up with, then they're pretty fucked up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Exactly. If that's the best thing a group of 7 writers/producers can come up with, then they're pretty fucked up.

Yeah, it's definitely it's all of them. They're all sitting there looking at their potassium pills in the morning going "fuck this, not ready for this yet" and instead churning out whatever uncreative music they can come up with because it used to be their thing. Now they got this idea to team up.

It's cute how the haters think that everyone with songwriting credits has like an equal share of the songwriting. Patrick Stump got a songwriting credit on Sober and his contribution was an 8 word lyrical suggestion that they used.

As if Jerry Finn wouldn't have gotten credits if he was still working with them. Even your master Delonge is handing songwriting credits out like candy these days to Aaron Pubin.

• Like 1