New song, "Happy Days", out monday

samukaskin

Really the only bands that aren't giving others their rightful cred are bands that are really into preserving their super ROCK cred like Foo Fighters. You really think Butch Vig didn't contribute any ideas on Wasting Light?

5 hours ago, Kay said:

yeah I get that a lot. I don't remotely understand what everyone is seeing in this song but if they like it, they like it. whatever. 

I don't necessarily like it but I've come to the conclusion these happy go lucky songs are much more tolerable than the try to be edgy teens songs.  Stuff like Wildfire, no future, parking lot, misery I simply can't do.

5 hours ago, Loudernow said:

This! Even though I like BIOMY and Happy Days, I think the choruses are the weakest parts of the songs and very bland. The same also for songs such as Misery, No Future and some other Cali songs...

Yeah I'd have to say BIOMY & No Future hands down have their worst choruses.  I hate the genericism. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's cute how the haters think that everyone with songwriting credits has like an equal share of the songwriting. Patrick Stump got a songwriting credit on Sober and his contribution was an 8 word lyrical suggestion that they used.

As if Jerry Finn wouldn't have gotten credits if he was still working with them. Even your master Delonge is handing songwriting credits out like candy these days to Aaron Pubin.

I think this take goes out the window when you literally have Mark saying in an interview "and John came to us with this really cool chorus idea for Bored to Death" 

Pretty far from your 8 word lyrical suggestion theory.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LittleRebelGirl said:

I think this take goes out the window when you literally have Mark saying in an interview "and John came to us with this really cool chorus idea for Bored to Death" 

Pretty far from your 8 word lyrical suggestion theory.

A chorus idea doesn't mean that he had a completed chorus already written and recorded, ready for use.

It's a really naive way to look at things. Sounds like something to be concerned about when you're 13, trying to be an edgy punker.

1 hour ago, LittleRebelGirl said:

I don't necessarily like it but I've come to the conclusion these happy go lucky songs are much more tolerable than the try to be edgy teens songs.  Stuff like Wildfire, no future, parking lot, misery I simply can't do.

Yeah I'd have to say BIOMY & No Future hands down have their worst choruses.  I hate the genericism. 

I like No Future, fun song!

19 minutes ago, Since88 said:

I like No Future, fun song!

It kind of is, just not blink.  Gang vocals? Barf.

Instrumentally it's okay and Mark's first verse is God level for Cali standards. I think one of the biggest issues is how many songs they churn out of the same vein.  No future might be okay were it not piled on with copious amounts of more mundane songs.  One misstep is forgiveable, you can even find some charm in it from being the disliked song (see: Fighting the Gravity), but 10 in a row gets to be a problem.

6 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

I think that the vocal melody in the chorus here is really similar to Happy Days, but since it has four clever chords, it takes the chorus to a next level

As opposed to the six different chords in the Happy Days chorus?

B, Bb, Db5, Eb5, E, Eb & F#

You keep going on about chord count like it fucking means something.

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

A chorus idea doesn't mean that he had a completed chorus already written and recorded, ready for use.

It's a really naive way to look at things. Sounds like something to be concerned about when you're 13, trying to be an edgy punker.

Don't you know that co-writers mean they did EVERYTHING even recorded the actual music. But with technology now days they dubbed Marks vocals in. Come on man. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Speedo said:

As opposed to the six different chords in the Happy Days chorus?

B, Bb, Db5, Eb5, E, Eb & F#

You keep going on about chord count like it fucking means something.

The whole song is built over one main change from B to E like BIOMY is built over Eb to Ab. Other chords just add a bit of change but it's not like the whole chord is changed only one note, so it's mostly the same chord. It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality and here the quality could've been higher if they added more twists and didn't keep the chorus they spent five minutes on. That's what Weezer did.

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Hey I'm Sorry blows

That's not even the point, the dolt's argument is Blink 182 is lazy and unimaginative because they wrote in the same simplistic style they have ALWAYS written in, like all of a sudden we should expect more or something different ... all of this after he claimed Generational Divide rips off NoFX without even sounding remotely like a NoFX song.