The Story So Far

Cheerios4u98

Does anyone have "When Fortune Smiled"? Apparently it was their first release and it came out in 2000. Downloading it now..

I bet they were prob like 11-12 in 2000 haha.

Think and use Google next time!

I know, I'm so stupid for thinking that. But if this band follows in the footsteps of TWY, it's sophomore album should be amazing! Although I really can't imagine a better album than Under Soil and Dirt. Every song is perfect.

Does anyone know when these guys started? It appears they don't have a Wikipedia page, and I could swear my brother used to listen to them, but they seem too young for that to have happened.

Anyway I'm loving this Under Soil & Dirt album. The drums are mixed really well especially at the very start. One problem I have is it seems like a lot of the vocals were recorded in heaps of different takes, so it just sounds a bit weird without him breathing and overlapping himself a little, I prefer it to be more natural. For the next album I hope he gets a bit more versatile with the vocals as well, he pretty much just yells the entire time even in quieter bits.

Favourites would have to be High Regard (the first verse is epic), State and Minds, and Mt Diablo. Great songs.

• 1 month later...

Haha reminds me of our show. . except we had music. . just no vocals

Does anyone have "When Fortune Smiled"? Apparently it was their first release and it came out in 2000. Downloading it now..

I bet they were prob like 11-12 in 2000 haha.

Think and use Google next time!

I know, I'm so stupid for thinking that. But if this band follows in the footsteps of TWY, it's sophomore album should be amazing! Although I really can't imagine a better album than Under Soil and Dirt. Every song is perfect.

I hope they stay AWAY from following in the steps of The Wonder Years. I'm running late for work but I'll explain why in a few.

Alright. Here is my rant on The Wonder Years and The Upsides. Sorry that the thoughts bounce around a lot. I understand that a lot of people will probably disagree with me, but this is just how I feel. I don't feel like it's a bad album. . . it's just no WBPF or GSOI. But, the Album is completely overrated.

The lyrics are one of the first things I don't like. It seems like the album is 70% bitching/complaining 27% about wanting to get away and just be with friends 3%"I'm not sad anymore" . I personally can't stand people who complain about pointless things. I don't mind angst, hell that's why I love a lot of different pop punk bands. I loved the lyrics in WBPF. GSOI got a little silly in places, but it was still a solid album and I didn't feel like he was just bitching about stupid things. . .  like not liking who he goes to college with (My Last Semester). At least on GSOI if he's bitching about something about it he has more of a "fuck it" attitude (My Geraldine Lies Over The Delaware). I DO agree that the lyrics are easy to relate to - but the lyrics aren't very deep.

The song "Hey Thanks" is completely out of place. I don't even understand why that song was put on the album in the first place. The "out of placeness" reminds me of the song "Arrival Notes" on the SYG album except TWY actually have a full out of place song instead a quick interlude song.

The album had little replay value for me. It got old after a couple weeks while their previous efforts I was stoked on for months and months. I almost always skip a song from The Upsides when it comes on shuffle, but I still love hearing songs from their previous two albums.

I would never dislike a band because of the fans or because of popularity but I honestly can't stand a majority of the fans. I think Soupie even noticed how a lot of people took the album the wrong way "It's not about forcing happiness, it's about not letting the sadness win". A lot of fans act like the Wonder Years are the first band to be "positive". I know you guys don't tumble, but after a week on there you will see post after post about The Upsides - but none of these "fans" ever mention their previous two efforts. Both were amazing albums.

If The Story So Far follows in their foot steps I really hope Parker's angst doesn't change into whining. I hope they don't throw in a song that sounds completely out of place. "Placeholder", even though it was different than the other songs on the album, still feels like it fits perfectly. If they add a song with a girl singing and Tuba or whatever that is in it then I would be like wtf? I hope their sophomore album has as much replay value as USAD does. Almost I hope they get fans who actually APPRECIATE USAD and their EPs like While You Were Sleeping and The Maker split. I've loved USAD since it came out almost a year ago and can still listen to every track like it's a fresh album.

i dont even like the wonder years.

/unpopular opinion

I think they're shit lol. I hope The Story So Far does progress on their next album though, guy needs to be a bit more versatile with his vocals especially.

I don't know, the way Parker's vocals differ from 5 Songs to While You Were Sleeping to USAD is pretty significant to me

/unpopular opinion

I think they're shit lol. I hope The Story So Far does progress on their next album though, guy needs to be a bit more versatile with his vocals especially.

I don't know, the way Parker's vocals differ from 5 Songs to While You Were Sleeping to USAD is pretty significant to me

I will admit I haven't listened to their other stuff than USAD, but I mean in songs themselves, and between songs on the same album. Even in the slow song he's pretty much just yelling the same as in every other song on that album. I like his voice but I'd like him changing it up more on the next album.

/unpopular opinion

I will admit I haven't listened to their other stuff than USAD, but I mean in songs themselves, and between songs on the same album. Even in the slow song he's pretty much just yelling the same as in every other song on that album. I like his voice but I'd like him changing it up more on the next album.

Oh alright, yeah. The older stuff is more clean vocals, whereas USAD has more raspy