The Punk/Pop-Punk Recommendation thread

Meltdown Tracker

Probably not the most original thread but oh well.

I've been listening to the Lawrence Arms, Banner Pilot, the Menzingers, and Spanish Love Songs lately and would love to discover other similar bands. Ideally not overly produced and with a heavier focus on lyrics, but I'm open to whatever. 

3 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Probably not the most original thread but oh well.

I've been listening to the Lawrence Arms, Banner Pilot, the Menzingers, and Spanish Love Songs lately and would love to discover other similar bands. Ideally not overly produced and with a heavier focus on lyrics, but I'm open to whatever. 

Dear Landlord!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I'll check them out, thanks! I tried to look for their wikipedia page and this came up, lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/punk/comments/6x8vr3/lead_singer_of_dear_landlord_charged_with_murder/

He sold some heroin to a guy who od'd or something like that ... he got a year in a work house for 2nd degree manslaughter ....

Prosecutors say Zachary Gontard, 38, was a middle-man in the fatal drug deal. Earlier this year, Gontard pleaded guilty to 2nd degree manslaughter and agreed to cooperate with the prosecution of the drug dealer. That man, Pierre Desean Cooley, 29, was convicted of second-degree manslaughter and sentenced to more than six years in prison.

Gontard was sentenced to a year in the workhouse. Prosecutors say the shorter sentence is due in part to his limited involvement with the crime and his willingness to cooperate.

@thongrider, is that the same zach that was on WA for a bit ... drums for House Boat, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Margie Whipple Homicides said:

He sold some heroin to a guy who od'd or something like that ... he got a year in a work house for 2nd degree manslaughter ....

Prosecutors say Zachary Gontard, 38, was a middle-man in the fatal drug deal. Earlier this year, Gontard pleaded guilty to 2nd degree manslaughter and agreed to cooperate with the prosecution of the drug dealer. That man, Pierre Desean Cooley, 29, was convicted of second-degree manslaughter and sentenced to more than six years in prison.

Gontard was sentenced to a year in the workhouse. Prosecutors say the shorter sentence is due in part to his limited involvement with the crime and his willingness to cooperate.

@thongrider, is that the same zach that was on WA for a bit ... drums for House Boat, right?

I think Mikey Erg drummed for House Boat, Zach played guitar, but year, same guy. I think he also did some vox on Baby Fat.

Just now, thongrider said:

I think Mikey Erg drummed for House Boat, Zach played guitar, but year, same guy. I think he also did some vox on Baby Fat.

He wasn't on for very long, I only talked to him a few times, even before he got in trouble. He was a nice dude though, hope he comes back. 

I love it when a pop punk or punk rock band becomes more experimental and no I don't mean Good Charlotte or whatever becoming way more poppy. I like it when the punk/pop punk bands get more darker, strange, aggressive or heavier.

Sum 41 did it with Chuck, blink did it with the smiley face album, AFI did it with Sing the Sorrow, Green Day with American Idiot, Brand New with Deja, The Wonder Years with No Closer to Heaven etc

I enjoy the side projects too. Obviously there is Boxcar Racer, but you got that Bad Astronaut side project from one of the members of Lagwagon. I've been looking for more bands that do this kinda shit. Bands from the pop punk or punk genre just going full on weird with experimental albums or experimental side projects.

7 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I love it when a pop punk or punk rock band becomes more experimental and no I don't mean Good Charlotte or whatever becoming way more poppy. I like it when the punk/pop punk bands get more darker, strange, aggressive or heavier.

Sum 41 did it with Chuck, blink did it with the smiley face album, AFI did it with Sing the Sorrow, Green Day with American Idiot, Brand New with Deja, The Wonder Years with No Closer to Heaven etc

I enjoy the side projects too. Obviously there is Boxcar Racer, but you got that Bad Astronaut side project from one of the members of Lagwagon. I've been looking for more bands that do this kinda shit. Bands from the pop punk or punk genre just going full on weird with experimental albums or experimental side projects.

I can't stand when punk bands start playing metal.

4 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I can't stand when punk bands start playing metal.

Not heard a punk or pop punk band try it haha. Sum 41 have elements of it sometimes and I think it works for them. Not a fan of ADTR and have never really considered them pop punk so I can't compare them with the pop punk/punk bands I listed.

42 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I think Refused are to blame for a lot of terrible music. Damn swedes.

Haha, I actually love that band. The Shape of Punk to Come is an awesome album. But I couldn't listen to any other band do similar shit. Only Refused can do that sound well IMO.