The Punk/Pop-Punk Recommendation thread

Meltdown Tracker

You may already have checked them out and they're a bit marmite but for straight up pop punk not many do it better than Neck Deep.

I'd advise checking out Wishful Thinking and Life's not out to get you if you haven't already.

Trash Boat are a decent band too but maybe edge towards Hardcore at points but have some cracking tunes

On 7/7/2019 at 10:03 PM, Nosferatu said:

I love it when a pop punk or punk rock band becomes more experimental and no I don't mean Good Charlotte or whatever becoming way more poppy. I like it when the punk/pop punk bands get more darker, strange, aggressive or heavier.

Sum 41 did it with Chuck, blink did it with the smiley face album, AFI did it with Sing the Sorrow, Green Day with American Idiot, Brand New with Deja, The Wonder Years with No Closer to Heaven etc

I enjoy the side projects too. Obviously there is Boxcar Racer, but you got that Bad Astronaut side project from one of the members of Lagwagon. I've been looking for more bands that do this kinda shit. Bands from the pop punk or punk genre just going full on weird with experimental albums or experimental side projects.

The Chronicles of Life and Death is that kind of album for Good Charlotte 

• Like 1

@Nosferatu I can give you a list of pop-punk/emo going experimental, because I like this kind of records very much:

Saves The Day - In Reverie (jazzy, dream like sound) 

Title Fight - Hyperview (shoegaze, Sonic Youth sound) 

Balance and Composure - Light We Made (electronic shoegaze blend) 

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity (emo classic, more complicated than latter mainstream albums) 

Turnover - Peripheral Vision (dream pop) 

Wavves - Afraid of Heights (grunge, shoegaze) 

Tigers Jaw - Charmer/Spin (indie Rock) 

And I'm sure you've heard of mcr, brand new already been mentioned. That's to name a few, maybe I can think of something else.

And you should also listen to Say Anything - Is a Real Boy, If you haven't yet

• Like 2

13 hours ago, alex_dept. said:

And Crimson is Alk3's Untitled, Jerry Finn also produced it.

Yeah, I tend to like the Jerry Finn produced records. Check out the one by The Wiretap Scars by Sparta. It's more alternative rock. But Jerry Finn produced it and it's a damn good album IMO.

14 hours ago, alex_dept. said:

@Nosferatu I can give you a list of pop-punk/emo going experimental, because I like this kind of records very much:

Saves The Day - In Reverie (jazzy, dream like sound) 

Title Fight - Hyperview (shoegaze, Sonic Youth sound) 

Balance and Composure - Light We Made (electronic shoegaze blend) 

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity (emo classic, more complicated than latter mainstream albums) 

Turnover - Peripheral Vision (dream pop) 

Wavves - Afraid of Heights (grunge, shoegaze) 

Tigers Jaw - Charmer/Spin (indie Rock) 

And I'm sure you've heard of mcr, brand new already been mentioned. That's to name a few, maybe I can think of something else.

And you should also listen to Say Anything - Is a Real Boy, If you haven't yet

Yeah, love that Jimmy Eat World album. Same goes to the last two MCR albums. Love Deja & Science Fiction by Brand New too. Wasn't a fan of their Daisy album or that other one they did.

29 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, love that Jimmy Eat World album. Same goes to the last two MCR albums. Love Deja & Science Fiction by Brand New too. Wasn't a fan of their Daisy album or that other one they did.

The Devil and God? yeah it's not as good as Deja or Sci Fi, I detest Daisy myself. what about Your Favourite Weapon, their first album?

14 minutes ago, Kay said:

The Devil and God? yeah it's not as good as Deja or Sci Fi, I detest Daisy myself. what about Your Favourite Weapon, their first album?

Yeah, enjoyed their first album. Not my favourite pop punk album by any means, but they proved they're a great band when they expanded the sound. It's weird, I say I love pop punk bands but I tend to dislike it when they do pop punk albums haha.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Science fiction is such an amazing album. I took a big break from it and all brand new after all the Lacey stuff came out but I came back to it and every single time it just blows me away. 

Probably one of my most devastating album experiences. I love Sci Fi so much when it dropped, it was so unexpected and different and it felt like welcoming an old (and clearly troubled) friend with open arms. and then the allegations came out, and I felt sick to my stomach about it, and feel guilty whenever I throw it on, but I love the songs so much that I can't help it. the whole thing sucks lol

• Like 1

I think TDAG is their best, and I started to like Daisy when I got more into noise rock and post hardcore, since its their most experimental record. All in all, it would be:

1. TDAG
2. Science Fiction
3. Deja
4. Daisy
5. 2006 Leaked Demos/Fight Off Your Demons
6. Your Favorite Weapon

And YWF is still better than 90% of pop punk I've heard.

7 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

I think TDAG is their best, and I started to like Daisy when I got more into noise rock and post hardcore, since its their most experimental record. All in all, it would be:

1. TDAG
2. Science Fiction
3. Deja
4. Daisy
6. Your Favorite Weapon

I prefer the 2006 leaked demos to TDAG, especially the songs they kept over. the reprise version of Luca from the demos is so much better than the album version. Plus 1996, Nobody Moves, and Missing You are all absolutely brilliant. 

7 minutes ago, Margie Whipple Homicides said:

Separate art from the artist, your heroes are all assholes.

Yes, but their not all child molesters. 

15 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

1. TDAG
2. Science Fiction
3. Deja
4. Daisy
6. Your Favorite Weapon

Science fiction > tdag > deja > yfw > daisy