Youtube live event: Oliver and the Fritzels

High Value Man

2 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

This is the set up for a joke, right?

No, actually always wondered what the difference is. I assumed queer was the more effeminate version of gay but wasn't sure and it seems like a silly distinction to make.

5 minutes ago, Margie Whipple Homicides said:

No, actually always wondered what the difference is. I assumed queer was the more effeminate version of gay but wasn't sure.

Okay. Queer just means "not straight." Someone identifying as such could be gay/bi/pan... hell, some asexuals call themselves queer. It can also be an umbrella term for LGBTQ people. It's kind of contentious though since it's a reappropriated slur. Not every LGBT person calls themselves queer and some get quite annoyed when labelled as such.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Margie Whipple Homicides said:

No, actually always wondered what the difference is. I assumed queer was the more effeminate version of gay but wasn't sure and it seems like a silly distinction to make.

Gay is just gay, you are attracted to the same sex.

Queer from the community's perspective is a more fluid term for sexuality and identity. kind of a catch all phrase or statement, an area of ambiguity for those who don't necessarily want to claim to fall into any side of it or are just not really bothered. for example I occasionally refer to myself as "gender queer" or "gender fluid" on account of having no real clue about my gender identity and needing an easy way to explain it. 

Wiki's first line on it sums it up well "Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities who are not heterosexual or are not cisgender."

EDIT - @Patient #48273 your explanation is much better than mine. 

• Like 1

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

We touched on slightly different points, so having both responses was good for context, I think.

Do you personally dislike the word because of the reclaiming side of things? It's not one I generally use for myself sexuality wise, only if gender is brought up (which is really rare for me). 

9 minutes ago, Kay said:

Do you personally dislike the word because of the reclaiming side of things? It's not one I generally use for myself sexuality wise, only if gender is brought up (which is really rare for me). 

It doesn't bother me. I don't really use it to refer to myself, but it's fine if other people do (as long as they're not being an ass lol).

• Like 1