New Song Darkside Out Friday

Chewy030

10 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Angels & Sekret Creatures is basically what this song is. 

I kind of like it?

Yeah I got AVA/Simple Creature vibes too. Just wish the production of it made it more blink/+44/Trio sounding and they could've done that without changing any of the instruments at all.

Instrumental is really nice (fresh while incorporating Matt’s playing style well) and I like the melody. Lyrics are fine I guess, nothing really to say other than it’s typical California standards. Some lyrics are repetitive but I really don’t like how much the word “wait” is repeated. I love the dance groove going on throughout the song. I like how Matt sounds more expressive while screaming the chorus than usual, it fits here. Chorus is a bit repetitive and they gotta quit doing that thing where the chorus hits but it’s just the guitar instead of the whole band, they’ve overused it. Also there’s too much vocal effects. But most of all...

Give. Me. An. Only. Matt. Song. 

• Like 1

Well, this song is really strange. I'm mostly neutral towards the overall modern FOB feel because it's still possible to pull off a good song in this style, but that feldy chorus kills another potentially good song. Boring pop chords, first-thought generic vocals, matt is shouting again - chorus is absolutely the worst part of the song. But there are two parts of the song which I think are the best from all the songs we heard. The instrumental part of the bridge and the ending part after the last chorus. Those guitar lines are sooo +44, I love it. It's a pity song is fucked with feldy sugary chorus, could've been way better. I hate John William Feldmann.

ehhh. it's not too bad. it feels more blink to me than any of the past singles, but still feels pretty amorphous... it could be any band really. i really don't mind the verses, they've got a cool dark dance groove going on that reminds me of the cure, randomly enough. it takes off into the same ol' ear-candy chorus, which of course is enjoyable. it goes without saying that this album sounds like a mess based on the singles and it's nowhere near where i want the band to be, but it's about what i expected tbh. cali with updated production. since BIOMY seems to have fizzled out, i could see darkside picking up the slack and being the "hit" of this record.

TLDR: i don't mind it, i guess ?‍♂️

• Like 2

I'm cool with it! Sure there's the obligatory "too sugary for my tastes" vibe but in general this is pretty close to what I expected in the first place from a Mark/Skiba/Travis team up.

Also it really makes me think of the Tony Hawk soundtracks for some reason haha

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I'm cool with it! Sure there's the obligatory "too sugary for my tastes" vibe but in general this is pretty close to what I expected in the first place from a Mark/Skiba/Travis team up.

Also it really makes me think of the Tony Hawk soundtracks for some reason haha

giphy.gif

Darkside, not Darkslide! duh! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

This gets a very meh from me. That opening from Matt is yikes. The rest of the song is nothing special, just that chorus over and over doesn’t really go anywhere. Which I fear is the entire album when most of the songs are under three minutes. Happy days still definitely the best song so far, which that statement gets a yikes from me too