New Song Darkside Out Friday

Chewy030

46 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Untitled definitely gained a cult following. There was a protest here or there.

But there was no hatred like we are seeing now.

Lets be honest here; some things are just meant to end. Blink was meant to end in 2004. This charade has gone on long enough.

good post,

i think some people say untitled wasnt blink but it was actualy so blink it couldnt have been more blink than that

u had marks bass and vocals that were truly mark stuff u had tom's iconics riff that were so him and so much had that blink riff structure to them(feeling this, ashtenia)

that record was huge feeling this, i miss you, down all did super well and become instant iconic songs for blink(songs that they to this day play almost every night)

blink showed with that record that they could write huge super dark serious songs and werent just an happy song type of band

we may have not known it at the time but that record was truly the pinacle of blink 

it even made the break up feel glorious, they went out with one last bang

i think as peoples musical palette expended and matured alot of people that didnt like that record initialy went back 2 it and liked it

this wont happen with california either u like it or u dont theres not enough of a creativity depth for that to happen other than maybe 2-3 songs at most out of the whole 20-30 songs they wrote for it

• Like 1

I actually really like the song, sure some parts of it get on my tits with the production and dreaded pre chorus that plagues every single blink song these days but I think it's a good catchy jam overall. 

Pleasantly surprised, already listened to it a lot more times than I did Good Old Days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Njdevils26 said:

One day, I hope to be as cool as this davey fellow.

just once I want to be into something before it’s cool so I can brag about it decades later after I’ve stopped liking it.

I'm on year #4 or 5 of not liking blink and bragging about it on here. Unfortunately they were gaining notoriety before I truly got into them, so I'm not as cool as Davey.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm thorn between being bummed and being satisfied/optimistic. The new album was 3/3 for me before "Darkside"...

BIOMY sounds fresh, urgent, different enough and was able to be thematically retrospective/nostalgic without falling on its face. It avoids California's lame self-stereotyping, the whole and repetitive "We are forgotten young suburbia" motto.

"Generational Divide" is a fine, short, throwback-ish tune that also seems to "push the band forward". It reminds me more of "Go", "Lycantrophe", "Heart's All Gone" or "Dogs Eating Dogs" than anything pre-EOTS. I can envision it working particularly well as an "interludesque" track (even more if it blended with the previous song outro or the following one intro...)

"Happy Days" keeps growing on me. While not as great, it's like the anthemic mid-tempo spiritual successor of "Adam's Song", "Stay Together For The Kids" or "After Midnight". I love how passionate Mark sounds and it's nice to have a solo vocal track for a change. On top of that, it's more spacey, atmospheric and, instrumentally-wise, I think it breathes better than anything from 2016 onwards. Along with BIOMY, it is top tier post-Tom blink (the little tweaks in the last chorus of both songs are so good) and it makes me wish Pagnotta and Malpass were the main co-writers/producers instead of Feldmann.

As for "Darkside", on the other hand, I'm disappointed. Really surprised it got the best reaction out of the four while BIOMY was thrashed (which proves once again how we - fans - see blink in such different lights and expect such different things from them). I do dig the moody electronic verses and the long pre-chorus – the “and I wait and I wait…” compliments its length” –, but then the chorus wrecks it. The mood shifts weirdly toward dancey and jovial as if they are trying too hard to have a hook. It kinda reminds me of what happens in Yellowcard’s “Make Me So”: strong verses, shit choruses. At least that one has a dynamic bridge building up the song, though. Here, the section is not developed at all…

To be fair, that was a recurring issue in California, with the ridiculous verse-chorus transitions and “nanana” vocalizing in “No Future” being the most obvious case (it happens with other Feldmann produced bands too, it seems to be his “thing”). It doesn’t help that the second half of the “Darkside” literally is “I don't care what you say, no / I don't care what you do / I'm goin' to the darkside with you” over and over again. Repetitive to the point of exhaustion and abysmal lyrics. Sure BIOMY and “Happy Days” weren’t excellent in that department, but they had some bright moments.

What happened to Mark’s consistently great lyricism (from the smiley album until DED)? I bet the “first thought best thought” mentality and approach that Feldmann infused into the band, seen as a solution to his self-confessed insecurities, ruined it. Oh well, at least instrumentally the outro is cool, bringing some variation.

• Like 4

On 7/26/2019 at 3:59 PM, daveyjones said:

where have you been the last four years? if there's one schtick i'm known for (besides lasagna), it's for hating the untitled record.

all this shit people are spewing about the new tracks... all the bile spilled over california? that's what most blink fans were saying in 2003. except for those of you who were between the ages of nine and twelve, i suppose.

Agreed, though I loved Enema and like TOYPAJ (but not as much as the album's before TOYPAJ). But yeah self titled (untitled) blows except for maybe 2-3 songs. (Go is good and Feeling This is ok).

Being a fan since '96 (almost as long as you but lacking the personal connection to the band), I've found most of my friends who loved blink as long or close to as long as me also don't care for that 2003 record either (save 1). I really think there's an age thing with liking that 2003 record.

• Like 1

I'm happy that this makes people happy, and I don't think this band is dead by any means, but they're trying so hard to keep up the image of blink while putting out this polished overproduction with every release and it's not super blink of them to do that, if that makes any sense.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, ungroovy said:

I'm happy that this makes people happy, and I don't think this band is dead by any means, but they're trying so hard to keep up the image of blink while putting out this polished overproduction with every release and it's not super blink of them to do that, if that makes any sense.

The California era up until now really shows how Tom's departure resulted in an artistic identity crisis for blink. It wasn't very clear back when California first got released but it is getting clearer release after release. Some are garbage, some are decent, but none of them feel true blink no matter how hard Travis hits the drums.

• Like 5