New Song Darkside Out Friday

Chewy030

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i think so too. i don't think i've ever met a fan of the band who was listening to them before enema who likes the untitled album.

I only know of one and even then they're not crazy about it but don't have the hate for it I do.

I will say I know of no pre-Enema fans who like Neighborhoods and DED.

2 hours ago, voyeur182 said:

The California era up until now really shows how Tom's departure resulted in an artistic identity crisis for blink. It wasn't very clear back when California first got released but it is getting clearer release after release. Some are garbage, some are decent, but none of them feel true blink no matter how hard Travis hits the drums.

blink hasn't been blink since Tom did Box Car Racer. Tom's most recent departure just really showed me how vital he was to the songwriting, though like I said post BCR it just wasn't the same. I used to think it was 50-50 between him and Mark but now I think Tom may have been more important back in the day.

As much I loved BCR, it ruined blink-182.

24 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

I will say I know of no pre-Enema fans who like Neighborhoods and DED.

i'm okay with a few songs off each. i do listen to neighborhoods more than untitled. i like much of the lyrics and the overall sound. it sounds right for their age then. untitled to me always sounded like they were way out of their depth, producing and overproducing for months and months on end in that house. recording through a speaker that whirls around in circles doesn't making the songwriting any better.

2 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i'm okay with a few songs off each. i do listen to neighborhoods more than untitled. i like much of the lyrics and the overall sound. it sounds right for their age then. untitled to me always sounded like they were way out of their depth, producing and overproducing for months and months on end in that house. recording through a speaker that whirls around in circles doesn't making the songwriting any better.

Yeah it's like they tried too hard to be something they're not with that record.

I think "Even If She Falls" is a fantastic song off Neighborhoods. Probably my favorite song Tom wrote since 2003.

32 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

Yeah it's like they tried too hard to be something they're not with that record.

I think "Even If She Falls" is a fantastic song off Neighborhoods. Probably my favorite song Tom wrote since 2003.

i dig "natives," "heart's all gone," "wishing well," "kaleidoscope," and "this is home" the most. the verses of "kaleidoscope" in particular sound very +44 to me.

15 hours ago, Njdevils26 said:

One day, I hope to be as cool as this davey fellow.

hi, welcome to the boards!

based on your post count, you're probably a newer member (or longtime lurker). i've only been hanging around for the past four years. but some people have been on here way, way longer. they are the true fans, the die-hards. i'm just an old dude who grew up with this band and they meant alot to me back then. i certainly don't have any coolsauce and i'm not a hipper-than-thou type character... i was just a certain age (16) growing up in certain music scene (skate punk) at a certain place (southern california) at a certain time (early to mid-nineties).

my two favorite bands of all time, R.E.M. and bad religion... i missed their prime years by a longshot. my first BR album was recipe for hate. my first exposure to R.E.M. was losing my religion. losing my religion! and i've been the newer fan hanging out on R.E.M. message boards in the mid-nineties asking question about the old IRS days in athens, chatting with people who used to get drunk with peter buck. and those people weren't cooler than me. and they weren't bragging, either. they were just there at a time when i wasn't.

i don't shit on anyone else's special memories of the band, or what's important to them. i talk about what i like and don't like, and what the special memories are for me. what i loved in 1996 (or what i didn't care for in 1999) shouldn't affect anyone else's likes or dislikes. it's just a fan boards site.

i can be pretty fast a loose on the boards, and i like to make fun of myself and my middle age tropes like disliking the untitled record. but hey i still own all the albums (even the not-very-great AVA releases) and i'm still a fan of the band. i've even seen them twice with skiba, and they weren't great but i still had a decent time.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

this is definitely a valid point, but i do think the songwriting takes a huge leap forward on that album as well, especially for tom. on songs like not now, i miss you, aesthenia, and more, i feel he's constantly pushing boundaries and writing better than ever. and the "experimental" (whatever) quality they were going for with recording drums in the shower and slowing down tape machines can admittedly read as gimmicky, especially for blink... for christ's sake, tom only a few years prior had sworn off effects as of the devil. but i think they serve the music in a complimentary way, and it was definitely something fresh and new for them at the time. a really good headphone album.

• Like 1

I love how angry they all sound on Stockholm Syndrome

The guitars and bass are sometimes doing a different thing or variation on certain chord progressions where they use different notes which is so cool.

- One of the best vocal trade offs

- Mark sounds absolutely bonkers during the end!

- Those hi-hat rhythms are crazy and the overall drum work is so clever and so much energy

- the entire production is just great

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, jordidanen95 said:

The guitars and bass are sometimes doing a different thing or variation on certain chord progressions where they use different notes which is so cool.

- Those hi-hat rhythms are crazy and the overall drum work is so clever and so much energy

Best song they ever wrote that they both sing on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

A fucking masterpiece nqat

This band went from that to fucking BIOMY. Absolutely sickening. I blame Mark, no wonder Tom wanted out. Mark has always wanted to make bubblegum pop to sell to the little kiddies.

• Like 4

Well to be honest. 

If Tom sang the chorus parts of BIOMY and the song had 20% tom influence on the instrumental, it would actually be 1 of the greatest blink songs post reunion.

But that has been the thing with these past 4 releases. I like them actually (BIOMY really grew on me)

But then i start to imagine Tom singing the Darkside chorus, or do some octave slides on Happy Days with that nice ringing semi-hollow sound and some flanger/reverb pedals and i get a little sad

Nobody fits better in this band than Delonge...with all his flaws as a musician

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:22 PM, daveyjones said:

see that right there is my point. from my perspective in 2003, any album that got glowing reviews in rolling stone and spin was—by definition—complete garbage.

But they were the "adults" was my point. It would have been really easy to discount blink 182 for trying to be "mature" and trying to make progressive music. It would just be more accurate to say that people in "punk" bands or whatever trying to act superior to blink 182 are not exactly the "adults" in the grand scheme of it. 

• Like 1