Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

Meltdown Tracker

Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

• No, I still view him the same since I first discovered Blink.
    • Yes, I like him more now.
    • Yes, I don’t like him as much now.

I think Mark enjoys the rich life (who wouldn’t) and that’s the only thing that comes across as a bit douche-y (to me anyway). When he’s photographed wearing designer clothes or with the stupid fanny pack strapped across his chest or tweeting about taking a fucking helicopter to Disneyland my eyes roll back so far I can see yesterday. 

But at the meet/greet I attended he was funny and engaging and when I thanked him he told me that it’s he who should be thanking me. Maybe he says that and is rolling his eyes behind his sunglasses - but I appreciated it nonetheless.

I think he just feels the need to stick to his “character” more than he should. Not sure why, but the same could be said for his music to an extent. He’s funny famous Mark from the pop-punk 90’s, and he seems terrified to lose that label.

In normal settings he’s super cool. But online and on stage with blink he feels the need to live up this “persona” which can be cringe at times.

• Like 4

I was seriously a Markbot after the initial hiatus. It wasn't even close. I didn't go see AVA but caught +44 twice. Tom was going around comparing himself to Pink Floyd and saying WDNTW was the 2nd coming of Christ. It was terrible. Mark was the real one who gave an honest interview on b182.com and came across as very "of the people" compared to my old hero Tom.

Then after a bad reunion Tom quit/got kicked out/whatever, and Mark has been losing my respect a little more each day ever since. If it wasn't the glorified cover band he's parading around as authentic blink, then it's gotta be his bad Twitter jokes. Or maybe the stale setlist outside anniversary shows, or the unfulfilled promises on his music sounding/being created like Untitled. Or maybe it's his, "First thought, best thought."

Whatever. The dude's got far more $$$ than I do and it makes me sad knowing some of my riotfest $$$ is somehow trickling back into his bank account during my current hiatus from blink. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

I was seriously a Markbot after the initial hiatus. It wasn't even close. I didn't go see AVA but caught +44 twice. Tom was going around comparing himself to Pink Floyd and saying WDNTW was the 2nd coming of Christ. It was terrible. Mark was the real one who gave an honest interview on b182.com and came across as very "of the people" compared to my old hero Tom.

Then after a bad reunion Tom quit/got kicked out/whatever, and Mark has been losing my respect a little more each day ever since. If it wasn't the glorified cover band he's parading around as authentic blink, then it's gotta be his bad Twitter jokes. Or maybe the stale setlist outside anniversary shows, or the unfulfilled promises on his music sounding/being created like Untitled. Or maybe it's his, "First thought, best thought."

Whatever. The dude's got far more $$$ than I do and it makes me sad knowing some of my riotfest $$$ is somehow trickling back into his bank account during my current hiatus from blink. 

I really want to hear an interviewer call him out and read his quote he said during the first hiatus about how "we could hire a new guitarist and call it blink 182 but it would be disingenuous"...and just ask him what changed about that lol

• Like 1

after the hiatus, i was a huge markbot... his studio updates, blogs, and posts kept up updated during the rough times. i still feel a lot of sympathy for him then because all he wanted was his band back and tom just shrugged him off for years. as an observer, and i’m not sure this is true, to me it appears that his creativity began to suffer. in interviews he says he doubts himself every time before he writes a song, which may have been the way it always was, but it certainly seems amplified now. perhaps his confidence suffered as a result of years of nothingness.

when the same man who single-handedly pt together WYHSB felt comfortable putting his name on california, it became difficult as a fan to support him. he began to seem more guarded in interviews, with more pre-rehearsed responses and stories than ever. he definitely has an arrogant attitude on occasion, what with the fans onstage debacle lately. but all that said, i can’t really dislike the man. fan fiction here, but i think he may have a bit of depression/anxiety these days. all he wants to do is have fun and play blink songs, and he deserves to be able to do that. we should also offer him the space to experiment with a pop-focused albums that are written by committee.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, boxelder said:

fan fiction here, but i think he may have a bit of depression/anxiety these days. all he wants to do is have fun and play blink songs, and he deserves to be able to do that. we should also offer him the space to experiment with a pop-focused albums that are written by committee.

That bit definitely ain't fan fiction haha. I'm sure he said he went through a depression stage when blink finished touring California and had to start Simple Creatures as a result. Dude just wants to write & play music 24/7 pretty much but I still don't get why he needs the help of songwriters. These songwriters aren't even better than him. Even when he's not sure and insecure about his own shit, his songs usually turn out to be pretty great. I prefer his songs when he was insecure & not sure about what to do with them instead of this Mark that does all this first thought = best thought method.

12 hours ago, Speedo's Disciple said:

I really want to hear an interviewer call him out and read his quote he said during the first hiatus about how "we could hire a new guitarist and call it blink 182 but it would be disingenuous"...and just ask him what changed about that lol

Yeah man, that would be great. I really took that shit to heart in my younger years, like no matter how bitter Mark was, he still recognized blink was always him and Tom.

Part of me will always believe this whole Cali/Nine experiment is just a "fuck you" to Tom that went too far. Like Mark is just sitting back collecting merch and festival fees all the while going, "Wanna see how many cowriters can have a slice of our pie, Tom? Five for this song! Three more on the next! Let's put six cowriters on this one!"

• Like 1

Whats really odd to me is that Travis seems like the most stable guy these days

Dude lived a life with shady people, divorce, close to death experience, horrible pain from burns, hit by a bus/car, lots of drugs in the past, almost payed someone a million to take him out of his misery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

Whats really odd to me is that Travis seems like the most stable guy these days

Dude lived a life with shady people, divorce, close to death experience, horrible pain from burns, hit by a bus/car, lots of drugs in the past, almost payed someone a million to take him out of his misery.

Yet should make zero decisions whatsoever with the band.

1 minute ago, Self Untitled said:

He's large to blame for California route too.  He was butt buddies with Feldmann and also that cheap artwork was his friend.

You're right! You know, I never gave a shit about drums in the first place ... I am boycotting Travis. 

5 minutes ago, Self Untitled said:

He's large to blame for California route too.  He was butt buddies with Feldmann and also that cheap artwork was his friend.

D*Face's artwork is super dope, especially compared to getting each rainbow color on a brush and....going down...

9 minutes ago, Speedo said:

You're right! You know, I never gave a shit about drums in the first place ... I am boycotting Travis. 

I mean Travis was a large part of their success, the trifecta of their personalities was what helped blow the band up.  But his drumming is just so chaotic in the California era, I think it's the way it's mixed.  It's just like everyone hit their instruments at once and let Feldmann turn it up to level 1000.

7 minutes ago, Self Untitled said:

I mean Travis was a large part of their success, the trifecta of their personalities was what helped blow the band up.  But his drumming is just so chaotic in the California era, I think it's the way it's mixed.  It's just like everyone hit their instruments at once and let Feldmann turn it up to level 1000.

I love his drumming on California, to me it's the only strong part about it. But Travis is equally to blame for the lame direction the band has taken.