Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

Meltdown Tracker

Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

• No, I still view him the same since I first discovered Blink.
    • Yes, I like him more now.
    • Yes, I don’t like him as much now.

16 minutes ago, Self Untitled said:

? Please do. 

we all know the "hired-gun" songwriter topic is going to come up again and again and again and again, and I will make the point again and again and again that Jerry Finn should probably have gotten songwriting credits on all of the blink albums he produced. 

your quote will help me when that time comes!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

we all know the "hired-gun" songwriter topic is going to come up again and again and again and again, and I will make the point again and again and again that Jerry Finn should probably have gotten songwriting credits on all of the blink albums he produced. 

I'm sure at the least, he definitely helped arrange the songs and shaped them the way they ended up. If you listen to the Enema demos vs. Enema of the State, alot of the structures of the songs changed. 

16 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Huge stretch.  His production was a huge key to the explosion of those albums. I don't recall any videos of Finn taking selfies with "the boyz" and going around telling anyone he wrote Bored to Death

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Self Untitled said:

Huge stretch.  His production was a huge key to the explosion of those albums. I don't recall any videos of Finn taking selfies with "the boyz" and going around telling anyone he wrote Bored to Death

In all fairness, selfies weren't invented yet. 

2 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Its not the same.

There is no song I know of where Jerry Finn could come in and say "I wrote that". It's not going to be like "Hey I wrote the chorus of First date".

Feldmann writes a good portion of the music. We know this for a fact because he used the exact melody of No Future with another band.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Its not the same.

There is no song I know of where Jerry Finn could come in and say "I wrote that". It's not going to be like "Hey I wrote the chorus of First date".

Feldmann writes a good portion of the music. We know this for a fact because he used the exact melody of No Future with another band.

(and they talked openly about it in interviews after California)

In the spirit of fan fiction, I wonder how much confidence Mark got from writing with Tom. From the videos I've watched over the years, discussions here, etc., Mark always struggled with feeling confident in his own abilities. It's no wonder BCR crushed him, Tom had been his main man for so long.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Whales said:

In the spirit of fan fiction, I wonder how much confidence Mark got from writing with Tom. From the videos I've watched over the years, discussions here, etc., Mark always struggled with feeling confident in his own abilities. It's no wonder BCR crushed him, Tom had been his main man for so long.

so how'd he write the blink-online favorite +44 album?

2 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

so how'd he write the blink-online favorite +44 album?

Anger and grief are a hell of a combo. Also I'm not saying he can't write without Tom, but I wouldn't be surprised if he drew a lot of confidence from it and the process they had together in blink. I don't know if I've ever listened to the +44 album fully, tbh.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Whales said:

Anger and grief are a hell of a combo. Also I'm not saying he can't write without Tom, but I wouldn't be surprised if he drew a lot of confidence from it and the process they had together in blink. I don't know if I've ever listened to the +44 album fully, tbh.

I wasn’t a fan of +44 either. And I’m not hating on Mark. Im also not a fan of AVA or Tom’s solo shit either. It’s evident they both need each other to create that magic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bean Twiddler said:

It’s evident they both need each other to create that magic. 

Yeah this is the easy conclusion after all these years. I liked +44, it didn't stick with me all that much but I liked it WAYYY more than AVA. It was clearly a very focused and inspired piece of work by Mark and that type of thing is pretty rare no matter who you are. Other than that album he and Tom have proven over and over that they are 1000x better together than alone.

It sucks that their personalities don't mesh anymore because the spark they had as a songwriting team still keeps all of us here long after it's been gone haha.

• Like 3