Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

Meltdown Tracker

Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

• No, I still view him the same since I first discovered Blink.
    • Yes, I like him more now.
    • Yes, I don’t like him as much now.

7 hours ago, thongrider said:

Recruiting one of the best songwriters in the genre and then using other writers is just fucking dumb.

there's a old story about the fourth star trek movie (the one with the whales). the script was originally developed as a vehicle for eddie murphy, who is a huge trekkie. some folks at paramount thought "hey, eddie is hot shit. star trek is our hottest franchise property. let's combine them for the double the bucks!"

cooler heads at the studio prevailed, however, when it was pointed out that the result would be subtractive (a dilution) rather than an eddie movie that made good money for a certain audience and a trek movie that made good money for a different audience.

lesson: blink + alk3 = lesser, not morer.

41 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

there's a old story about the fourth star trek movie (the one with the whales). the script was originally developed as a vehicle for eddie murphy, who is a huge trekkie. some folks at paramount thought "hey, eddie is hot shit. star trek is our hottest franchise property. let's combine them for the double the bucks!"

cooler heads at the studio prevailed, however, when it was pointed out that the result would be subtractive (a dilution) rather than an eddie movie that made good money for a certain audience and a trek movie that made good money for a different audience.

lesson: blink + alk3 = lesser, not morer.

you can do better than this analogy....this ain't it. 

13 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

you can do better than this analogy....this ain't it. 

oh i'm sure there's a far better analogy to be made. something like eddie murphy is in the star trek movie but he doesn't have many lines (or the lines he can't remember he has to read off a teleprompter) and isn't allowed to improvise. meanwhile they bring in seven other comedians every time eddie wants to come up with a joke.

Idk, for me I personally see him pretty similar to how he has always been. 
I just think since a lot of us have been following him for so long its easier to pick out flaws, but everyone has flaws.  
I think over time he has just become more open to certain things, I think he finally realized that he and Travis should not have to throw away blinks legacy just because of Tom. I also actually believe him and never thought he was intentionally lying when he said the music would be similar to self titled. I think he more meant the whole "Anything Goes thing" than the music actually sounding similar. 
Although California (part 1) is down there with my lesser favorite blink Material, I am not one who personally thinks Mark has lost his song writing Edge. 
Still a ton of great material on there...I love Home is Such A lonely Place and Left Alone...Kings of the Weekend is also amazing and I think is just as good as some of their hits. 
Although I miss Tom's influence I actually really love Cali Deluxe, I think all the Deluxe songs are solid with my favorite being "Hey I'm Sorry" 
I think this song along with 6/8 and Last Train home are just as good as a lot of plus 44 stuff. 

• Like 1

Mark is twisting the truth a bit with this post. What's different with the current wave of criticism the band gets is how large the percentage of fans criticizing them this time around. You can plant your head in the sand as long as you want, but when the dislike bar on Youtube is becoming so noticeable in so many of the band's current activity it's time to do a double check on your work.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I would say he can take it just fine considering he just outlined that people have been criticizing them their entire career, yet they persist, successfully.

Agreed! I also thought it was a funny post to make. So, as someone who is hypercritical of Mark, kudos to him!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, voyeur182 said:

Mark is twisting the truth a bit with this post. What's different with the current wave of criticism the band gets is how large the percentage of fans criticizing them this time around. You can plant your head in the sand as long as you want, but when the dislike bar on Youtube is becoming so noticeable in so many of the band's current activity it's time to do a double check on your work.

You'd think that but I still remember the hate they got for TOYPAJ and untitled. It's fun to hate on a good band and Blink has always been an extremely easy target from fans and non-fans alike.

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

as someone who lived through nearly all of these eras, mark is spot on. love x1000

People may have criticized their music from 1997 to 2004 at the time of their releases, but after like 6 months to a year..... a lot of people generally accepted it and realized it was actually good music. Neighborhoods has been out for 8 years and a lot of people still don't consider that album anywhere close to the level of their music from 1997 to 2004. California has been out for 3 years and a lot of hardcore Blink fans hate that album. You literally can't say the same thing about their last 2 albums because enough time has passed for people to give a proper opinion. If Mark's stating people always complain when Blink bring out new music no matter what, he's clearly off base. It's also a bit of coincidence he's bringing this shit up now because their new album is coming out in like 3 weeks. 

18 minutes ago, Jamie said:

People may have criticized their music from 1997 to 2004 at the time of their releases, but after like 6 months to a year..... a lot of people generally accepted it and realized it was actually good music. 

i'm only speaking from my own experience. for each album era listed, i was either in a scene where that sentiment was expressed, was friends was someone who felt that way, or was a person who felt that way. i'm still a fan and listen to most of their music in my usual rotation.

i can't speak for mark's motives, but there is much truth in those sentiments.