Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

Meltdown Tracker

Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

• No, I still view him the same since I first discovered Blink.
    • Yes, I like him more now.
    • Yes, I don’t like him as much now.

55 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

-Please don’t rush = done

-Please less Feldy = done

-Please no whoas/nahs = done

-Please less guitar slides = done

-Please no cheesy joke songs = done

-Please use different producers = done

-Please don’t use the same formula every song = done

-Please let Skiba shine = done

-Please experiment = done

-Please Mark only song = done

-Please use different mixers = done

-Please write good music = not done

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

-Please stop using cowriters = invites co-writing teams

-Please be better live = invites Lil Wayne

-Please just be genuine = writes Blame It On My Youth

-Please less mimicking other bands = (see above)

-Please experiement = Cuts a 3 minute song, into 45 seconds

-Please Mark only song =  writes HAppY dAYz

-Please less Feldy = Feldy lends unused goldfinger song Darkside

-Please be creative = NINE

-Please let Skiba shine =

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 8/24/2019 at 2:54 PM, Ry-Bread said:

It is rushed though. Just cause they've taken over a year recording this album, it don't mean that they haven't recorded about 70 songs and aren't using first thought = best thought. BIOMY was released a month after it was written. That song is more rushed than the whole of California. I do like the song though, but it's an example of blink rushing. But blink were still rushing and shitting out so many songs a week for this album. They've explained the recording process and made that clear too.

Please less Feldy = done

That's definitely true and it's probably why I like all 4 songs so far. Even the songs he's worked on his presence isn't as strong as it was on California.

Also true. But can't ignore gang vocals in BIOMY either, which was annoying on California. At least on the gang vocals on BIOMY are lower in the mix. It's the first time I've actually not been too bothered about gang vocals in blink actually haha.

This is one of those "be careful what you ask for" demands. We didn't want 4-5 producers working on the album. Keep in mind all of these producers have songwriting teams too. A lot of us have exaggerated blink using writers though. Blink are definitely writing all the songs. But the co-writers are writing just as much. Blink are now a 10 man band in the recording studio instead of a 3 man band. I would've been fine if Feldman remained the producer for the whole album as long as he was less involved.

Apart from GD, the other 3 songs have the same formula. Typical intro with no guitar riff, straight into the verses. Singing in the pre-choruses and choruses with repetitive lyrics, then back to the verses with no riffs again (slight experimenting on BIOMY after first chorus though which is cool). The bridges are also singing bridges again. No instrumental bridges yet. No riffs again. Then BIOMY and Darkside have a breakdown before the final chorus. All songs have more stuff going on in the final chorus too, like more backing vocals and guitar licks that are low down in the mix. BIOMY has more experimenting in the outro though. But the formulas of the songs are still very similar and samey.

Not sure where he shines. He's still underutilised just like California. He still hasn't taken charge of any songwriting yet. He's still to blink what David Kennedy is to AVA, except he also sings.

People wanted the smiley face level of experimentation. I believe the fans got mixed up with what Mark said. They thought he meant the songs would sound like the smiley face album. But he probably meant the actual recording process. Like different recording techniques or whatever. But outside of that vocal part after the first chorus on BIOMY and the outro of it, there's been nothing to suggest blink have been experimenting. It's not enough. Maybe blink will explain how they recorded these songs after the album is released, so we haven't got any idea of how much they experimented yet.

Step in the right direction, but is that gonna be the only song? If it is, then it's not enough. I'd rather hear 4-5 Mark only songs and then 4-5 Skiba songs then another 4-5 songs with both.

Most people seem to praise the mixing of these songs on these boards. Might get the odd few like Oliver who thinks it sounds worse than California though. I like how the drums sound. They sound more like real drums than some drum trigger program on Pro Tools like the California drums did.

I'm not complaining though. I like all songs so far. I'm getting a feeling I'll like it way more than California. But I still feel like blink can do so much more. They're better than what the 4 songs they've come up with so far. I guess I just demand perfection. I don't like settling for songs that I rate 6/10, 7/10 or 8/10. I wanna settle for 10/10.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:54 AM, Ry-Bread said:

But at the end of the day........the music just isn't that great anymore.

Could easily looked passed pretty much anything if the music was amazing....but its not, so we must look to outside stuff to justify what they could do better. Right now, they are operating at about 30% of their potential. Maybe less.