Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

Meltdown Tracker

Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

• No, I still view him the same since I first discovered Blink.
    • Yes, I like him more now.
    • Yes, I don’t like him as much now.

To me, Mark has become a bit of a douche, hypocrite, and overall less genuine and less funny over recent years.

He went from “we’ll only ever record in the same room together” to writing music apart and patching songs together through emails, to getting other people to write his music. I’m not a fan of his “first thought, best thought” approach and the farther he steers the band into pop, the more desperate the band sounds.

Then also factor in kicking the fan off stage for the ATST cover and his asshole remarks, and his tweets about being butt hurt over the fan reactions to the latest songs. Just comes off as an arrogant prick who is super insecure about his music and image.

this is coming from someone that really enjoyed his personality and music up until California.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, MSandt said:

To me he has become at least more sympathetic now that Tom's insanity and megalomania has been on full display. Can't imagine the hell that he - the heart of the band really - has had to go through over the years.

I felt this way originally as well, but it's become clear Tom was the heart and inspiration in developing Blink's sound and Mark's true passion comes from wanting to stay relevant and make money by producing lowest-common-denominator pop music. Blink has reverted back to sounding like the bands that copied them, it's sad. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I felt this way originally as well, but it's become clear Tom was the heart and inspiration in developing Blink's sound and Mark's true passion comes from wanting to stay relevant and make money by producing lowest-common-denominator pop music. Blink has reverted back to sounding like the bands that copied them, it's sad. 

Tom was; he had clearly lost the ball by WDTNW (which to Tom represented an evolution of his sound). The success of the untitled probably got to his head.

And yeah, Mark's perennial insecurities are rather annoying, but at least his band isn't there for the sole purpose of gratifying his ego.

I always thought Mark was the asshole of the group. I don't think he was or is a bad guy or anything, I just think he always seemed more full of himself than Tom, Scott or Travis. I think he has it in him to be a real douche when he wants to be. I also think he worked hard to control it and build a different image of himself. I'd hang with him anyday, he seems cool and fun enough and all my heroes are assholes anyway so we would get along. I just wouldn't put it past him to not always do what's best for Mark and be advantageous at someone else's expense.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I’m way less pro mark now. Does seem like he might be a bit of a dick, and I’m starting to wonder if Tom ever was? I dunno. And he always talks so loud now too. That doesn’t factor into my opinion but damn. 

Keeping on the serious points I do think he’s responsible for the constant greatest hits set list, especially after Tom smiled and said you asshole you snuck this in regarding first date- and the fact that he seems so reluctant to stray away from them after Tom was out. It bugs me because wasn’t that one of his comments after Tom was out, that they’d no longer have to do the greatest hits sets? 

And it seemed like after they got back together he stifled banter as it happened live, always cutting it off and insisting the next song start. 

He also got caught in the lie about when the last time he and Tom spoke was, which was pretty uncool.

• Like 1

I first met Mark in 2007 and he was so fucking rad.  So down to earth.  Asked me to watch their set from side stage then hung out with me for half an hour after just chatting.  I'd met Tom at their AVA show in Sydney in 2006 (?) and to me, Mark seemed so much cooler at the time.  Seemed way more chill and easier to talk to.

Seen them both again when they were with Blink in 2012 in Sydney and Tom was way more excitable then.  He and Mark seemed to bounce off each other.  Mark remembered me from the years before which was pretty cool, and they both seemed stoked to be there. 

To me Mark was so much cooler in person, and seemed way funnier. 
Over the last few years though, he's seemed like more of a douche in interviews though.  It's weird...

• Like 1

I used to adore him, and now I feel pretty neutral about him. I feel like he’s always wanted to be popular—which is understandable—but it was Tom who pushed and challenged him, which is why blink’s music is what it is now.

• Like 3

In recent years I think he has started to become a lot more boring. One thing is the current state of blink and the more poppy sound, another thing is how everything he does with blink  just seem so predictable. Im all in for Skiba because to me he is the only thing besides Travis that actually excites me and gets me pumped. This is why I like Simple Creatures because I feel Mark actually shows the guts to try something different there. Also I believe Misery is one of the better songs of the Skiba-era because of the bassthing he does in the bridge that just sounds awesome and that are not just generic basslines we've heard 1000 times before. I remember back from the recording of California that they said a lot of discussion went down about what blink really is. I think he has taken whatever conclusion way to seriously, because it seems like he just wants to stick with that and feel secure about it. Its a shame, because with Untitled/Neighborhoods/DED I think they actually opened up that blink could be an experimental project as well.

• Like 1

Whats funny is that they were really similar almost brother like between 1994 - 2002

They have grown to be so different through the years tho

Tom:

- Huge confidence and kinda out there

- Very dreamy and child like attitude towards life, anything is possible kinda thing

- Has to move between different stuff otherwise goes crazy

- Believes so much in what he says, comes of as pretentious sometimes (But never annoying or anything)

Mark:

- Doubts himself, Very sober person

- Very realistic rational person, Could slip into depression

- More drawn towards confort zones and order/repetition

- Tries to look at things from a more objective outlook, Does not think as highly of himself

2 sides of a coin

• Like 2