Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

Meltdown Tracker

Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

• No, I still view him the same since I first discovered Blink.
    • Yes, I like him more now.
    • Yes, I don’t like him as much now.

21 minutes ago, Speedo's Disciple said:

I love his drumming on California, to me it's the only strong part about it. But Travis is equally to blame for the lame direction the band has taken. 

It just sounds like mud to me.  The bass toms and snare all sound the same and thick.  Honestly sounds like computer drums to me.

Contrast it with Neighborhoods/Dogs Eating Dogs where it sounds raw and like an actual drumset being played.  Also creative fills.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Self Untitled said:

It just sounds like mud to me.  The bass toms and snare all sound the same and thick.  Honestly sounds like computer drums to me.

Contrast it with Neighborhoods/Dogs Eating Dogs where it sounds raw and like an actual drumset being played.  Also creative fills.

I feel like the drums on California sound very similar to TOYPAJ. I don't know..I see what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, I just like the sound. The drums sound big to me. 

7 minutes ago, Speedo's Disciple said:

I feel like the drums on California sound very similar to TOYPAJ. I don't know..I see what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, I just like the sound. The drums sound big to me. 

They're similar but there so much different in the mix.  I don't expect everyone to over analyze the drums, but they put it so upfront in the song cluttering it up, Toypaj it's much more in the background and the songs took time to breathe for a sec, also doesn't help that the songs are just better in general.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Self Untitled said:

They're similar but there so much different in the mix.  I don't expect everyone to over analyze the drums, but they put it so upfront in the song cluttering it up, Toypaj it's much more in the background and the songs took time to breathe for a sec, also doesn't help that the songs are just better in general.

I appreciate your attention to detail! Good points you have made. 

The instrumentals on TOYPAJ sounds all big but nothing gets in the way of eachother.

Just comparing the intro of Parking Lot and Rollercoaster, Parking Lot sounds like the entire song is filtered through a big compression effect, while Rollercoaster sounds big in the right way, and thats not even a quality upload.

I feel like just snare hits on california kinda messes with how the guitar sounds during that second. Jerry Finn made them sound huge and polished while still sounding like a band playing in a room...something human.

The drums sound different but awesome on DED, its the guitars that are kinda behind a glass wall pushed to the background or something

The difference in drums from Neighborhoods to DED is also a real thing. The entire Drumkit sounds like shit on Neighborhoods.

Snare sounds like a tom without punch, and all the kick/actual tom/ cymbal sounds remind me of some local band's first E.P sounding dry as fuck

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

The instrumentals on TOYPAJ sounds all big but nothing gets in the way of eachother.

Just comparing the intro of Parking Lot and Rollercoaster, Parking Lot sounds like the entire song is filtered through a big compression effect, while Rollercoaster sounds big in the right way, and thats not even a quality upload.

I feel like just snare hits on california kinda messes with how the guitar sounds during that second. Jerry Finn made them sound huge and polished while still sounding like a band playing in a room...something human.

The drums sound different but awesome on DED, its the guitars that are kinda behind a glass wall pushed to the background or something

The difference in drums from Neighborhoods to DED is also a real thing. The entire Drumkit sounds like shit on Neighborhoods.

Snare sounds like a tom without punch, and all the kick/actual tom/ cymbal sounds remind me of some local band's first E.P sounding dry as fuck

sometimes i'll go back and listen to cali DLX and am horrified at how bad travis's drums are butchered. it's clear he doesn't even care... it was jerry and the engineers who were the artists. his snare on bottom of the ocean is downright lifeless. for real, listen to that song from 2:15 - 2:20. just what the fuck?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, boxelder said:

sometimes i'll go back and listen to cali DLX and am horrified at how bad travis's drums are butchered. it's clear he doesn't even care... it was jerry and the engineers who were the artists. his snare on bottom of the ocean is downright lifeless. for real, listen to that song from 2:15 - 2:20. just what the fuck?

It sounds exactly like a midi keyboard drums. Which is weird because Travis's drums used to be incapable of replicating on your computer.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Self Untitled said:

It sounds exactly like a midi keyboard drums. Which is weird because Travis's drums used to be incapable of replicating on your computer.

It was all Jerry Finn. All you have to do is listen to the drums on Boxcar Racer. The drums on that album are incredible. Jerry Finn put so much effort into it it’s amazing.

Feldmann on the other mixes for pop radio basically, which is just make everything the same level and blast it.

The difference between the two is so huge. Jerry Finn truly was amazing producer.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

It was all Jerry Finn. All you have to do is listen to the drums on Boxcar Racer. The drums on that album are incredible. Jerry Finn put so much effort into it it’s amazing.

Feldmann on the other mixes for pop radio basically, which is just make everything the same level and blast it.

The difference between the two is so huge. Jerry Finn truly was amazing producer.

Oh he was definitely the 4th member, if not the master behind the curtain for at least Enema - Self Titled + Boxcar

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jordidanen95 said:

What i don't get is how we are complaining and obviously right yet the actual band members are clearly fine with this like wtf

It's weird that Mark produced Motion City Soundtrack, with genuinely good production, and better than blink currently.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jordidanen95 said:

What i don't get is how we are complaining and obviously right yet the actual band members are clearly fine with this like wtf

Well we arent “obviously right”, these songs aren’t mixed horribly when looked st objectively. They are just mixed for a different audience. Mixed for pop radio where dynamic range isn’t a thing.

It might not be what we like or are used to but the band have obviously decided this is what they are happy sounding like now.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Self Untitled said:

It's weird that Mark produced Motion City Soundtrack, with genuinely good production, and better than blink currently.

seriously. his production of commit this to memory is like his greatest creative achievement, post-blink.

but let's not forget the supporting players. look at that lineup!

mixed by Tom Lord-Alge and Mark Trombino. produced and engineered by Ryan Hewitt and Chris Testa. mastered by Tom Baker.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

seriously. his production of commit this to memory is like his greatest creative achievement, post-blink.

but let's not forget the supporting players. look at that lineup!

mixed by Tom Lord-Alge and Mark Trombino. produced and engineered by Ryan Hewitt and Chris Testa. mastered by Tom Baker.

True, didn't know that. Could very well have been a fluke and saved by those masters mixing.

I'd go:

1. Dude Ranch/Enema (still mostly his band)

2. +44

3. Producing CTTM

4. Marrying Skye

Are hands down his biggest achievements. Untitled was mostly Tom's band at the time.

• Like 2

I guess I'm in the minority. I hear nothing wrong with any of Travis's drums on the recent recordings. I like the way they sound on California, I think the drums sound a lot better and bigger than they did on Enema. And I've been a drummer for 20 years, and am usually pretty picky with what I'm listening to.