Jump to content
 
Clar-ke has herpes

Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?  

64 members have voted

  1. 1. Has your opinion of Mark changed over the years?

    • No, I still view him the same since I first discovered Blink.
    • Yes, I like him more now.
    • Yes, I don’t like him as much now.


Recommended Posts

Just now, Ghent said:

There is a strong correlation between a person's level of tombot and their "opinion of Mark changing over the years."

There's a strong correlation between Mark changing and Tombot converts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Speedo's Disciple said:

I love his drumming on California, to me it's the only strong part about it. But Travis is equally to blame for the lame direction the band has taken. 

It just sounds like mud to me.  The bass toms and snare all sound the same and thick.  Honestly sounds like computer drums to me.

Contrast it with Neighborhoods/Dogs Eating Dogs where it sounds raw and like an actual drumset being played.  Also creative fills.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Self Untitled said:

It just sounds like mud to me.  The bass toms and snare all sound the same and thick.  Honestly sounds like computer drums to me.

Contrast it with Neighborhoods/Dogs Eating Dogs where it sounds raw and like an actual drumset being played.  Also creative fills.

I feel like the drums on California sound very similar to TOYPAJ. I don't know..I see what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, I just like the sound. The drums sound big to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Speedo's Disciple said:

I feel like the drums on California sound very similar to TOYPAJ. I don't know..I see what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, I just like the sound. The drums sound big to me. 

They're similar but there so much different in the mix.  I don't expect everyone to over analyze the drums, but they put it so upfront in the song cluttering it up, Toypaj it's much more in the background and the songs took time to breathe for a sec, also doesn't help that the songs are just better in general.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when Tom went nuts the first time and Mark rightfully laid claim to Blink's legacy almost everybody could agree that he was a hero in all of the craziness. He put out a great album under +44, said all the right things about how much Blink meant to him and that he would never take their legacy lightly and how it was something magic that was created by having the three of them in the room and yada yada yada.

Well, Tom's insanity has gone back and forth over the years but he's settled in as a lot LESS insane and ego maniacal than he was in the early AVA days. He's still obviously way out there, but people got more used to it and/or stopped caring so much so he's seen as this crazy uncle figure to most people at this point.

Meanwhile Mark has gone back on a lot of those things that he said after the breakup, and instead of pushing Blink forward because it's this meaningful artistic and personal passion in life he has instead worked with outside pop songwriters, steered Blink in weird directions that undermine or cash in on their legacy in some ways, and just overall seems much more "cynical" about it all in the past several years.

So of course my opinion on him has changed. 10 years ago I figured Mark was the saint of the band and Tom was a freak. Now I can see that they both are majorly flawed in their own ways that led to where the band finds itself today.

  • Like 8
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Self Untitled said:

They're similar but there so much different in the mix.  I don't expect everyone to over analyze the drums, but they put it so upfront in the song cluttering it up, Toypaj it's much more in the background and the songs took time to breathe for a sec, also doesn't help that the songs are just better in general.

 

I appreciate your attention to detail! Good points you have made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The instrumentals on TOYPAJ sounds all big but nothing gets in the way of eachother.

Just comparing the intro of Parking Lot and Rollercoaster, Parking Lot sounds like the entire song is filtered through a big compression effect, while Rollercoaster sounds big in the right way, and thats not even a quality upload.

I feel like just snare hits on california kinda messes with how the guitar sounds during that second. Jerry Finn made them sound huge and polished while still sounding like a band playing in a room...something human.

 

The drums sound different but awesome on DED, its the guitars that are kinda behind a glass wall pushed to the background or something

The difference in drums from Neighborhoods to DED is also a real thing. The entire Drumkit sounds like shit on Neighborhoods.

Snare sounds like a tom without punch, and all the kick/actual tom/ cymbal sounds remind me of some local band's first E.P sounding dry as fuck

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

The instrumentals on TOYPAJ sounds all big but nothing gets in the way of eachother.

Just comparing the intro of Parking Lot and Rollercoaster, Parking Lot sounds like the entire song is filtered through a big compression effect, while Rollercoaster sounds big in the right way, and thats not even a quality upload.

I feel like just snare hits on california kinda messes with how the guitar sounds during that second. Jerry Finn made them sound huge and polished while still sounding like a band playing in a room...something human.

The drums sound different but awesome on DED, its the guitars that are kinda behind a glass wall pushed to the background or something

The difference in drums from Neighborhoods to DED is also a real thing. The entire Drumkit sounds like shit on Neighborhoods.

Snare sounds like a tom without punch, and all the kick/actual tom/ cymbal sounds remind me of some local band's first E.P sounding dry as fuck

sometimes i'll go back and listen to cali DLX and am horrified at how bad travis's drums are butchered. it's clear he doesn't even care... it was jerry and the engineers who were the artists. his snare on bottom of the ocean is downright lifeless. for real, listen to that song from 2:15 - 2:20. just what the fuck?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, boxelder said:

sometimes i'll go back and listen to cali DLX and am horrified at how bad travis's drums are butchered. it's clear he doesn't even care... it was jerry and the engineers who were the artists. his snare on bottom of the ocean is downright lifeless. for real, listen to that song from 2:15 - 2:20. just what the fuck?

 

It sounds exactly like a midi keyboard drums. Which is weird because Travis's drums used to be incapable of replicating on your computer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Self Untitled said:

It sounds exactly like a midi keyboard drums. Which is weird because Travis's drums used to be incapable of replicating on your computer.

It was all Jerry Finn. All you have to do is listen to the drums on Boxcar Racer. The drums on that album are incredible. Jerry Finn put so much effort into it it’s amazing.

Feldmann on the other mixes for pop radio basically, which is just make everything the same level and blast it.

The difference between the two is so huge. Jerry Finn truly was amazing producer.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

It was all Jerry Finn. All you have to do is listen to the drums on Boxcar Racer. The drums on that album are incredible. Jerry Finn put so much effort into it it’s amazing.

Feldmann on the other mixes for pop radio basically, which is just make everything the same level and blast it.

The difference between the two is so huge. Jerry Finn truly was amazing producer.

Oh he was definitely the 4th member, if not the master behind the curtain for at least Enema - Self Titled + Boxcar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jordidanen95 said:

What i don't get is how we are complaining and obviously right yet the actual band members are clearly fine with this like wtf

 

It's weird that Mark produced Motion City Soundtrack, with genuinely good production, and better than blink currently.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jordidanen95 said:

What i don't get is how we are complaining and obviously right yet the actual band members are clearly fine with this like wtf

 

Well we arent “obviously right”, these songs aren’t mixed horribly when looked st objectively. They are just mixed for a different audience. Mixed for pop radio where dynamic range isn’t a thing.

It might not be what we like or are used to but the band have obviously decided this is what they are happy sounding like now.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually really dug California. But this new record just sounds terrible. I feel like mark is just kind of losing the edge in playing music. I feel if they don't step it up and try to recover from this album then nothing but Tom can bring them back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Self Untitled said:

It's weird that Mark produced Motion City Soundtrack, with genuinely good production, and better than blink currently.

seriously. his production of commit this to memory is like his greatest creative achievement, post-blink.

but let's not forget the supporting players. look at that lineup!

mixed by Tom Lord-Alge and Mark Trombino. produced and engineered by Ryan Hewitt and Chris Testa. mastered by Tom Baker.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

seriously. his production of commit this to memory is like his greatest creative achievement, post-blink.

but let's not forget the supporting players. look at that lineup!

mixed by Tom Lord-Alge and Mark Trombino. produced and engineered by Ryan Hewitt and Chris Testa. mastered by Tom Baker.

True, didn't know that. Could very well have been a fluke and saved by those masters mixing.

 

I'd go:

1. Dude Ranch/Enema (still mostly his band)

2. +44

3. Producing CTTM

4. Marrying Skye

 

Are hands down his biggest achievements. Untitled was mostly Tom's band at the time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Commit This To Memory is incredible and I truly thought Mark would be able to self-produce without any problems after hearing that album. So bizarre how far that was from the truth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Self Untitled said:

Oh he was definitely the 4th member, if not the master behind the curtain for at least Enema - Self Titled + Boxcar

gonna save this quote for later use

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm in the minority. I hear nothing wrong with any of Travis's drums on the recent recordings. I like the way they sound on California, I think the drums sound a lot better and bigger than they did on Enema. And I've been a drummer for 20 years, and am usually pretty picky with what I'm listening to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...