70 members have voted

1. 1. What is the worst era of Blink?

• Buddha - Dude Ranch
    • Enema of the State - TOYPAJ
    • Self-Titled
    • Neighbourhoods/DED
    • California onwards

4 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

you could have at least trolled harder on the sell-out angle. that i'm used to.

I know. I was gonna go hard last night but had to wait for account to be made up. then this morning i was at work and didn't have the time to type everything out. Blown chance, oh well. Still snuck in a shot at Speedo lol. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, daveyjones said:

skiba is a better guitarist and songwriter than tom. he just doesn't care; that's the difference.

You think so? Songwriter perhaps especially lyrically, if we look at old Alk3, but guitarist? I don't see or remember anything in Skiba's catalog that is more difficult to play than anything Tom wrote prior to Enema. Not that blink is really that hard either but some of the older riffs are certainly more difficult than Alkaline Trio songs at least due to speed (M+M's, Wasting Time intro come to mind).

I hate Tom's obsession since 2004/2005 to the present with U2's the edge and delay pedals but I think he's a better guitarist than Matt Skiba.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

I don't see or remember anything in Skiba's catalog that is more difficult to play than anything Tom wrote prior to Enema.

i mean, i'm clearly having fun taking a cheap shot at tom. but i do think—career-wise, album to album, song for song—that skibba is a better overall musician. and to be clear i don't judge talent by "difficult to play." but if you want to grade on that curve... the tom era i love, i mean, none of that is particularly innovative. he was just a teenager who learned his major scales and figured out how to do hammer-ons from listening to "thunderstruck."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i mean, i'm clearly having fun taking a cheap shot at tom. but i do think—career-wise, album to album, song for song—that skibba is a better overall musician. and to be clear i don't judge talent by "difficult to play." but if you want to grade on that curve... the tom era i love, i mean, none of that is particularly innovative. he was just a teenager who learned his major scales and figured out how to do hammer-ons from listening to "thunderstruck."

I was strictly going off of difficulty to play. I definitely think Skiba is a better songwriter especially lyrically but from what I've seen of both, and neither are technique wizards on guitar, I think Tom is better at playing guitar. Just my .02 from listening to both bands since the 90s and being familiar with their discographies. Despite Skiba being the better songwriter, I like older blink more than anything by Alkaline Trio (though I do love Alk3).

I really do wish Skiba would care a bit more about playing better/correctly with the older blink catalog they currently play live.

Now as far as bass players between the two bands, Dan Adriano easily over Mark.

• Like 2