colleen green's cover album of dude ranch is out!

daveyjones

https://colleengreen.bandcamp.com/album/blink-182s-dude-ranch-as-played-by-colleen-green

I don't remember where or when I got the idea to cover my favorite album of all time. Tbh, I don't remember much of 2011. All I know is that sometime about 7/8 years ago, I decided that I was going to cover Blink 182's "Dude Ranch" in its entirety...on bass. I borrowed a short scale from my friend Sandy Vu and gave myself 2 weeks to complete the project. 13 days later as I was applying the finishing touches, my computer started acting funny. I thought to myself, "Gee, I sure hope my computer doesn't crash." 14 days later, my computer crashed. I had no back ups because I always fly by the seat of my pants! I tried to recover my work to no avail. I was heartbroken, so much so that I was unable to revisit the project in earnest until October 2018. Today I can say with much pride, happiness, and relief that "Blink 182's Dude Ranch as played by Colleen Green" is finally real and ready to be enjoyed by fans of Colleen Green and/or Blink 182. This was truly a labor of love and I hope that those fans can recognize and appreciate that. And to the band who has influenced me and my life in so many ways: Thank you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I only listened to Waggy and I'm Sorry, but I'm really not impressed. It's too bad because I really love her cover of M+M's and if she'd done something in a similar vein, I'm sure I would have loved this too, but I really don't like the choices she made.

yea i have to agree. i mean, i like colleen's lo-fi slower stuff too. but why bass only? the m+m's cover was so good!

• Like 1

The M+M's cover was great, which is why this is so disappointing. It's try-hard lofi. Like to the extent of a gimmick. Even the cover art. It's like she tried to "cool-make-it-shit".  Waggy felt so weird, and hurt my brain with how slow paced it was. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ari said:

It's try-hard lofi. Like to the extent of a gimmick. Even the cover art. It's like she tried to "cool-make-it-shit".

yup, that's colleen. i'm tempted to say "and artists in that scene of her generation" but that would be needlessly cynical.

like cassette-only releases. wow you're so cool with your shitty audio quality format. how fucking RELIEVED we were when CDs came along and we could stop buying tapes. blink only released buddha on tape because CD replication cost a bloody fortune in 1994.

36 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yup, that's colleen. i'm tempted to say "and artists in that scene of her generation" but that would be needlessly cynical.

like cassette-only releases. wow you're so cool with your shitty audio quality format. how fucking RELIEVED we were when CDs came along and we could stop buying tapes. blink only released buddha on tape because CD replication cost a bloody fortune in 1994.

Yeah, my hero is Conor Oberst, and there was this old, now defunct message board where a portion of the members were only fans of his very early stuff, but primarily - more than that, fans of the musicians he was a fan of, who were very very lo-fi. Anyway, they, a guy named John Boulay in particular would record music, cassette only, and make it as hard-to-listen as possible, with horribly cut and paste covers clearly modelled after how that kind of artwork used to be when people didn't have programs they have today and were forced to make due. I recall one of them being a greek statue inverted? Typical bull shit. I hate it lol. 

I'm disappointed with this release because M+M's was so good but I don't hate it. I can listen to it but it's not what I expected. The bass only is a bummer.

And she's definitely a try-too-hard hipster. Hipsters are the reason cassettes are coming back. These kids don't remember cassette Walkman's. What a pain in the ass they were.

37 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

I'm disappointed with this release because M+M's was so good but I don't hate it. I can listen to it but it's not what I expected. The bass only is a bummer.

yea i've listened to it a couple times now, and the vocals are really strong. i particularly like enthused, apple shampoo, and lemmings.

BTW the folks at burger records are pretty cool. i emailed them saying, hey i bought a tape, where's the download code? and the dude was like, we don't do mp3s for any of our cassette releases. and then he sent me a dropbox link to the production mastered files anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea i've listened to it a couple times now, and the vocals are really strong. i particularly like enthused, apple shampoo, and lemmings.

BTW the folks at burger records are pretty cool. i emailed them saying, hey i bought a tape, where's the download code? and the dude was like, we don't do mp3s for any of our cassette releases. and then he sent me a dropbox link to the production mastered files anyway.

Yeah I really enjoyed Lemmings, but that's also one of my fave blink songs too. She really should've tried to use some guitar and drums ala her M+M's cover though.

That is pretty cool. I ended up buying the 320kbps mp3s on Bandcamp.

i bought this but it never shipped, and having heard the bandcamp previews, i don't really care either way. i love colleen green, and was a big fan of her first two records, and the M+M's cover. this, like everyone is saying, is a bizarre disappointment. i know i've only heard the two songs, but they were pretty off-putting. waggy almost sounds like a bad trip... she's managed to slow down it to the point where it's a little freaky to listen to, and far too repetitive. as an experiment, it's interesting i suppose, but not certainly anything i'd want to listen to past the curiosity listen.

listening to it right now as I'm super tired and I've gotta say this is nice music to just have on in the background when you just want something super low key that you don't really have to pay attention to. The songs are familiar enough that I can enjoy it but also not really have to pay attention. It's calming. Totally not something I'd listen to on an everyday basis, but at this moment this album is really hitting the spot.

It kind of gives me lullaby vibes.

like this lol

17 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

listening to it right now as I'm super tired and I've gotta say this is nice music to just have on in the background when you just want something super low key that you don't really have to pay attention to. The songs are familiar enough that I can enjoy it but also not really have to pay attention. It's calming. Totally not something I'd listen to on an everyday basis, but at this moment this album is really hitting the spot.

It kind of gives me lullaby vibes.

like this lol

I'll be playing these when my first child is born in a few weeks.

• Love 1