colleen green's cover album of dude ranch is out!

daveyjones

5 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Ehh it’s not bad but I think it depends on your expectations. I had never heard of her so I went in with an open mind. Sounds like something you’d hear on an Indie Chill playlist.

Definitely check out her M+M's cover. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, Ari said:

Yeah, my hero is Conor Oberst, and there was this old, now defunct message board where a portion of the members were only fans of his very early stuff, but primarily - more than that, fans of the musicians he was a fan of, who were very very lo-fi. Anyway, they, a guy named John Boulay in particular would record music, cassette only, and make it as hard-to-listen as possible, with horribly cut and paste covers clearly modelled after how that kind of artwork used to be when people didn't have programs they have today and were forced to make due. I recall one of them being a greek statue inverted? Typical bull shit. I hate it lol. 

I've been listening to a lot of CO and I haven't really been into his music for years now. I was going to go see him a few summers ago, but had a medical emergency and couldn't attend. I'd love to hear your thoughts on his post 2012 music career. I've been pretty passive on it, but the new album he put out this year is really great. 

8 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I've been listening to a lot of CO and I haven't really been into his music for years now. I was going to go see him a few summers ago, but had a medical emergency and couldn't attend. I'd love to hear your thoughts on his post 2012 music career. I've been pretty passive on it, but the new album he put out this year is really great. 

Honestly, I think Upside Down Mountain is the best album he's ever made. I'm gonna message you on Facebook, because I love Conor talks, but I'll also say while I loved Better Oblivion (got me one of those flyer things tooooo) I really disliked both Ruminations/Salutations a lot. 

• Like 1

mini review:

this is a really odd set… a sludgy, drugged-out reimagining of this album at half-speed. every song is the same, with some eschewing any real rhythm at times too. when stripped down to the bare notes and chords, the music can still be affecting in a new, unique way... but like others have said, i’d have preferred the m+m’s approach, with a fuzzy, drum machine-based sound. as it stands, this rendition leaves you wanting more for sure; it can wear thin fast. but as something to put on in the background, it’s not too bad. it’s certainly a curiosity in the ever-growing blink tribute album collection.

of note: she doesn’t alter “retarded”, but does delete the homophobic hints in degenerate (“saw ben again / and he’s o-kay”). cool change!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, boxelder said:

she doesn’t alter “retarded”, but does delete the homophobic hints in degenerate (“saw ben again / and he’s o-kay”).

one out of two ain't bad. early blink is pretty embarrassing in 2019. one of their earliest iconic logos was simply a wheelchair (disabled icon) meant to be read as "mentally retarded." i'm guessing we won't get a remastering of "transvestite" any time soon...

• Like 1