Teenage Satellites poll

thongrider

Teenage Satellites Poll  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of it?

• I love it!
    • It's alright
    • It's embarrassing!

this was among my favorite tracks from california when it came out. no real reason, i just dig the tune. it clashes with my belief that the throwback nature of the record is a detriment, of course, but there's something about it i've always liked. the piano parts, the melody, idk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah it's always been a skip for me, when I give Cali a spin for the first time in several months sometimes the intro/first verse intrigues me, but still have never gone out of my way to play this on it's own.

To me it's the only song on the album when everything is perfect. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, thongrider said:

How do you guys intetpret the song? 

I don't think this song really needs a full analysis nor do I think the lyrics are brilliant by any means. I just think it goes very well with the melody and music. I'm also gonna analyze it anyway! I feel like @M!ke

I think it's the type of song that needs overthinking, if not it seems like utter nonsense. I think the music sounds very nostalgic. I can't even describe it, the song just long for the past in every note. The image of a couple floating in space like teenage satellites is ridiculous. The opening line "I can almost see your house from here" makes sense in that Regard though. But if you're that far into space can you even see someone's house? When I hear that line I don't literally imagine someone seeing a house from space. I imagine someone seeing someone's old house (either being back in your old town or just passing by that person's house) and thinking of them again, both bringing up a feeling and a time. 

I definitely think the first line appears in the present. In fact the first verse appears in the present. Some of the images and references here are really bad, I think. The chorus is stuck between times, I think. The second verse, is in the past. Back when the young couple were young and in love. The summer nights he thinks back on now. He's still the same person, but he also isn't. The relationship is no more and he is older and longing for what used to be. 

He sees his teenage self and his old girlfriend from a distance. They're away, but they're still burning like teenage satellites. I think becomes clear in the bridge. Those two people still exist, but the people they were then just floats around in memory's space. 

I don't know if this makes sense, but the song just don't make much sense to me if not, unless I'm missing something. 

haha thanks for the shoutout.  Teenage Satellites was definitely a grower for me.  I hated it at first, but over time, I did get to like it, same goes for Kings of the Weekend.  These are far from top tier blink songs, but I'm able to enjoy them all the same.