if you ever wondered where mark stole carousel from

daveyjones

The first time I listened to Ned's Atomic Dustbin I was blown away because I always thought the Cheshire Cat sound was unique. Sometimes I wish there were more albums that sound like Cheshire Cat but at the same time I'm glad no one else was able to recreate that sound. 

• Like 1

Blink had a lot of influence on the music I would discover throughout the years ... except for Cure. They have a few songs that are alright, two songs that are great and the rest is mostly unlistenable crap. Really don't understand the love for them ... or Beatles ... or The Police.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:27 AM, Speedo said:

Blink had a lot of influence on the music I would discover throughout the years ... except for Cure. They have a few songs that are alright, two songs that are great and the rest is mostly unlistenable crap. Really don't understand the love for them ... or Beatles ... or The Police.

There's always two fantastic songs on each album and lots of songs I like the idea of, but never really can get into. I like every song on the Head on the Door though. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:27 PM, Speedo said:

This fucking guy. Fuck off mate yeah

1 hour ago, Since88 said:

Ehh.. What did you say he “stole”? Literally nothing in that song sounds like Carousel 

literally much does.

i'm referring to mark's early blink style of playing two string chords on his bass, often augmented with open strings. he cribbed this directly from alex griffin, one of two bass players in ned's atomic dustbin. on "happy," this is most evident in the pre-chorus and the start of the chorus "you fly... off the handle..." and also the bridge. three of the chords (in the same key!) are identical (that's the literal part) to the intro + main bass part of "carousel."

this style of playing is all over griffin's work. but you can also glimpse a technique which mark lifted for many tunes during the buddha + cheshire cat era at the start of "nothing like" :

"stole" is obviously hyperbole on my part. but the influence is undoubtedly there. witness the massive ned's atomic dustbin post in mark's bedroom in the m+m's video.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Since88 said:

Ehh.. What did you say he “stole”? Literally nothing in that song sounds like Carousel 

Are you deaf? A lot of it is chord for chord Carousel, especially the chorus. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Didn't quite hear the Carousel ripoff, though I can clearly see how it influenced Mark's playing/tone. Very cool, I need to check out more of them.

I’ll buy it as an influential song/band for Mark’s style in the early days. But to say he stole something is a reach. 

On 8/25/2019 at 8:33 PM, daveyjones said:

literally much does.

i'm referring to mark's early blink style of playing two string chords on his bass, often augmented with open strings. he cribbed this directly from alex griffin, one of two bass players in ned's atomic dustbin. on "happy," this is most evident in the pre-chorus and the start of the chorus "you fly... off the handle..." and also the bridge. three of the chords (in the same key!) are identical (that's the literal part) to the intro + main bass part of "carousel."

this style of playing is all over griffin's work. but you can also glimpse a technique which mark lifted for many tunes during the buddha + cheshire cat era at the start of "nothing like" :

"stole" is obviously hyperbole on my part. but the influence is undoubtedly there. witness the massive ned's atomic dustbin post in mark's bedroom in the m+m's video.

Bad Religion did octave chords before Blink did, would you say that Tom stole every blink song from them? 

Edit: I obviously didn’t read your post good enough. Since we ultimately agree, I’ll let my first answer stand just to show how dumb I was.

23 hours ago, Kay said:

Are you deaf? A lot of it is chord for chord Carousel, especially the chorus. 

Maybe I’m deaf? But both songs uses a standard chord progression.  There’s no robbery here.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, thongrider said:

There's always two fantastic songs on each album and lots of songs I like the idea of, but never really can get into. I like every song on the Head on the Door though. 

You should check out the home demos from Head on the Door, they could be your second-best Cure album.