"NINE" reviews thread

Champ182

45 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

This might make me a 29 year old curmudgeon but I can not bring myself to watch any Youtuber videos. If it's a person speaking into the camera on their Youtube channel I'm out haha. Especially for 14 minutes, my god.

duuuude same. it’s like everyone is trying to make themselves a thing when they really don’t even have a unique perspective. it creeps me out watching somebody bark into a mic in their bedroom

in other news, the atlantic gave NINE a positive review, as did billboard

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/09/blink-182-nine-album-review-wistful-and-catchy/598420/

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8530537/every-song-ranked-on-blink-182s-nine

• Like 3

Totally agree with Billboard's NHTSO take:

"The great irony of Nine is that for its modish, pop-leaning efforts, the best track on this album is an old-school, emo-era exploder that could’ve easily appeared on their 2003 self-titled effort. Skiba is given full reign to lay into the towering chorus, a lovelorn gut punch that pop-punk lifers will be screaming before the end of the song. Finally, Blink lets a very capable singer showcase what he can really do. More of this, please! 

Sure, if Blink would’ve went and made a whole album of this, dissenters would’ve probably called them stubborn or stuck in the 2000s, but man-oh-man does “No Heart To Speak Of” absolutely rip. Skiba feels in it for the long haul here, and the skittering piano and drum outtro ties a pretty bow. This the most propulsive Blink-182 song in recent memory and it’s even not close."

• Like 2
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Totally agree with Billboard's NHTSO take:

"The great irony of Nine is that for its modish, pop-leaning efforts, the best track on this album is an old-school, emo-era exploder that could’ve easily appeared on their 2003 self-titled effort. Skiba is given full reign to lay into the towering chorus, a lovelorn gut punch that pop-punk lifers will be screaming before the end of the song. Finally, Blink lets a very capable singer showcase what he can really do. More of this, please! 

Sure, if Blink would’ve went and made a whole album of this, dissenters would’ve probably called them stubborn or stuck in the 2000s, but man-oh-man does “No Heart To Speak Of” absolutely rip. Skiba feels in it for the long haul here, and the skittering piano and drum outtro ties a pretty bow. This the most propulsive Blink-182 song in recent memory and it’s even not close."

Frankly what I've been realizing with the more blink I hear with Matt, that what I really like is when the stuff is darker and leans more toward what Skiba does with Alkaline Trio.  Tracks like No Heart To Speak Of, Last Train Home, Los Angeles, and Black Rain are what I think is what really works for where blink is headed right now.  I mean I love Nine as a whole, but the more of those kinds of songs, the better if you ask me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Ghent said:

Has the Rolling Stone review been posted?

Well idk if it’s an IOS13 glitch or what, but I can’t copy the link into a comment here on mobile now which is weird... (Safari nor chrome, and can paste the link all over other places on my phone) but the RS review is out and worthless.

39 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Well idk if it’s an IOS13 glitch or what, but I can’t copy the link into a comment here on mobile now which is weird... (Safari nor chrome, and can paste the link all over other places on my phone) but the RS review is out and worthless.

I had the same issue earlier actually. iOS13 aswell. Weird.