I Really Wish I Hated You

Ghent

5 minutes ago, Speedo (tombot) said:

It always was before too ... the difference is the style of music top 40 has become.

Yep. It's borderline impossible to get on pop radio these days if you're not some kind of R&B generic pop joker. It's terrible

That's why I mentioned PATD though. It was cool to hear them getting some play with a couple songs. Never was a big fan or anything, but they did open for blink on reunion and are way closer to blink than anything else on the radio today.

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Blink on the Billboard Hot 100 (AKA the chart where they get Top 40):

ATST - #6
I Miss You - #42
WMAA - #58
Up All Night - #65
The Rock Show - #71
Bored To Death - #85
After Midnight - #88

It's insane that WMAA never cracked it because I remember hearing that all the time on the radio. Not as much as ATST, but still heard it a lot. I never heard UAN on any non-alt radio and it's only 7 spots away? Shit must have been way different back then as far as airplay and ratings go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's insane that WMAA never cracked it because I remember hearing that all the time on the radio. Not as much as ATST, but still heard it a lot. I never heard UAN on any non-alt radio and it's only 7 spots away? Shit must have been way different back then as far as airplay and ratings go.

look at the first 10 songs there https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

do u realy want blink to sound anything like that?

18 minutes ago, Ghent said:

i think radio was just way more competitive in 1999. it relied a lot back then too on physical single sales, and if i’m not mistaken — and i may be — physical CDs and 7”s of WMAA weren’t issued until september. WMAA scored a ton of airplay though. these days it relies the most on streaming and airplay. how UAN and AM charted as well as they did is a mystery to me. i think blink was just decently ready for a comeback in 2011 but the songs just weren’t up to par

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yep. It's borderline impossible to get on pop radio these days if you're not some kind of R&B generic pop joker. It's terrible

That's why I mentioned PATD though. It was cool to hear them getting some play with a couple songs. Never was a big fan or anything, but they did open for blink on reunion and are way closer to blink than anything else on the radio today.

I've gotten to the point where Blink has moved beyond what my personal taste in music has become, even the old stuff just isn't something I listen to much anymore. Granted the band has changed quite a bit but I've also changed as well. What I don't get though is how people can sit here and pigeonhole it as something it hasn't been for almost decades, if not more. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not super into new Blink, at least not how I used to be but I at least recognize that as mostly a change in myself. Blink is doing what they've always done, making palatable music based on the times because that's their career, that's their livelihood. What defines music as palatable now isn't what defined it 20 years ago or 15 or even 5. I like some songs (especially the new ones) but there's also a lot of it that just isn't for me and I don't listen to it. It's strange for me that it's something to go on diatribes about it though ... just don't listen to it. Take what you can get from it and appreciate that, let the rest go. People seem to have a hard time grasping that the person they were when Blink spoke to them isn't the person they are now, Blink isn't that band and the culture isn't what it was ... Blink is and always has been a product of mainstream culture so I wish they'd stop pretending it's more than it ever really was.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Speedo (tombot) said:

I've gotten to the point where Blink has moved beyond what my personal taste in music has become, even the old stuff just isn't something I listen to much anymore. Granted the band has changed quite a bit but I've also changed as well. What I don't get though is how people can sit here and pigeonhole it as something it hasn't been for almost decades, if not more. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not super into new Blink, at least not how I used to be but I at least recognize that as mostly a change in myself. Blink is doing what they've always done, making palatable music based on the times because that's their career, that's their livelihood. What defines music as palatable now isn't what defined it 20 years ago or 15 or even 5. I like some songs (especially the new ones) but there's also a lot of it that just isn't for me and I don't listen to it. It's strange for me that it's something to go on diatribes about it though ... just don't listen to it. Take what you can get from it and appreciate that, let the rest go. People seem to have a hard time grasping that the person they were when Blink spoke to them isn't the person they are now, Blink isn't that band and the culture isn't what it was ... Blink is and always has been a product of mainstream culture so I wish they'd stop pretending it's more than it ever really was.

if ur a real man u will be listening to taylor swift new album proudly

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Speedo (tombot) said:

Sometimes i think this but then a good Untitled song comes on or a Box Car song comes on, or some other harder pop punk song comes on and I can still love it.  I just cant take this bland watered down version.

When I said it sounds like top 40, its that boring, repetitive, characterless music you hear on the radio now. Maybe its just me. I can only think of one new song in the past 6 months ive liked off our local rock radio station.  With how easy it is for artists to make music now, and how easy it is to find music, its just hard to get into that formulaic radio stuff.

I guess thats what Blink wants though, and I guess its just not for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Great fan fiction, would read again.

• Haha 1

I just listened to the clip and I think that might be the worst thing we’ve heard so far. For some reason I was holding out hope the rest of the album sounded way different from what we’ve heard somehow since they keep talking about how dark it is. Definitely not going to be the case, this albums going to have terrible reactions I’m just here for the memes at this point.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ghent said:

Face palm. You rip on A Day to Remember but you think PATD is cool? smh Ghent. You're the man and I love ya but smh lol

So far the preview sounds very poppy. Probably the poppiest hook they’ve ever done, I could see this as a Halsey melody or something. I’ve been listening to that 11 Minutes song Travis Barker was featured on so that might be where I got the idea, but it just has that modern top 40’s melody. Lyrics in this section are alright but it was awkward when one of the lines were repeated again. I’ve grown to tolerate more pop music and I’ve definitely grown a likely to using electronic elements in music, so it isn’t that big of a deal to me. Based off the preview, I like the idea of them building up electronically and then having the real drums kick in with the guitars, which is what I’m assuming (and hope) will happen. At this point you really can’t expect them to release a pure “blink” or even ALK3 sounding track, so I’m just focusing on whether it’s a decently crafted song...or I enjoy it enough to repeat it until I hate it lol.

I just hope they can pull this pop sound off because it’s been a hit or miss with some songs. I think BIOMY is the worst example of blink going pop and Happy Days is the best example (with the drum parts being the only influence). Darkside I can’t really say except I know that there’s electronic drums in the verses, which is cool and sounds very nice.

PS: I deleted my previous comment because it is definitely Matt doing the backup vocals after listening to it on headphones. That’s probably the closest Matt has ever sounded to Mark and blended together. You don’t notice until the song breaks loose near the end.