I Really Wish I Hated You

Ghent

9 hours ago, Ari said:

I think Plus 44 is fucking amazing, partly because of how real it is.

this this this right fuckin' here. i was in graduate school when the +44 album dropped, and i loved it. it was an adult, writing about adulty things. everything from memories of growing up in ridgecrest to flashes of san diego life, to bits that seem to be about marriage and fatherhood.

what a great record when your heart stops beating is.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, knapton said:

I wonder if they make any decisions when it comes to recording anymore. Like when you have those 3 in a band, how does that chorus end up so lackluster with no guitar. Could've easily done a super heavy guitar in the chorus like Stay Together for the Kids and have it be huge. No way they're calling the shots on this stuff anymore. 

It's exactly how they want it. They're music industry vets/dads in their 40s who enjoy pop music their kids or industry peers show them and this is what they want Blink to be now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

Yeah but when you click on these photos, none of them are from the internet they're all uploads.. I just picture you're desktop all mug shots of old dudes and security cams.

Who can honestly say theirs aren't? 

8 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

It's exactly how they want it.

that's the part that's most depressing. it's not the only path. there are scores of bands who are the same age (or much older) than blink who still bring amazing punk and pop punk to the table. just look at this year alone! crushing new bad religion album, godly new strung out album, blistering new good riddance album, what is shaping up to be an amazing new lagwagon album...

in 2016... california vs hypercaffium spazzinate? fuckin forget about it (and no pop punk band has aged better than the descendents).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Pop punk has been dead since the late 2000s. Nothing would suck worse than blink playing 500 capacity venues trying to impress the PUNKERS

i'm talking about stalwarts like bad religion (a band with a creative career average way, way beyond blink) continually touring 2,000–6,000 capacity venues. the descendents sell out every single venue of this size they play all over the world.

and sure, blink's too big for 500 capacity clubs.

but they could totally write albums as good as all the other shit which has come out just this year. shit even the new alk3 was light years better than california.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

I'll take California and Nine over that kind of shit any day

and that's fine. i'll still buy nine, because i'm a completist like that.

i suppose it's the difference between discovering blink because of being a fan of the scene that they were playing in (bad religion / NOFX / pennywise / face to face / epitaph / fat etc) versus not being a punk fan and liking blink as a sort of outlier.

one's not better than the other. but i do think it's a marked difference to have fallen in love with blink through those bands as opposed to the other way around.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Pop punk has been dead since the late 2000s. Nothing would suck worse than blink playing 500 capacity venues trying to impress the PUNKERS

How Ironic that you say pop/punk is dead but are a 30 something year old man who craves music that is meant to appeal to teenagers.

I have no problem with just liking the music and not caring about the style.

But once you start heading down the road of trashing style, you are a big time hypocrite.

• Like 8

Just now, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

How Ironic that you say pop/punk is dead but are a 30 something year old man who craves music that is meant to appeal to teenagers.

I have no problem with just liking the music and not caring about the style.

But once you start heading down the road of trashing style, you are a big time hypocrite.

You're such a poser.

I just listen to music. If I like it I like it. Pop punk has sucked for ages

6 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

that's the part that's most depressing. it's not the only path. there are scores of bands who are the same age (or much older) than blink who still bring amazing punk and pop punk to the table. just look at this year alone! crushing new bad religion album, godly new strung out album, blistering new good riddance album, what is shaping up to be an amazing new lagwagon album...

in 2016... california vs hypercaffium spazzinate? fuckin forget about it (and no pop punk band has aged better than the descendents).

Yeah I mean if they took all the ingredients they had talked about for years (and that I mistakenly assumed they were going to bring to the table) it could've turned out groundbreaking and successful in its own way, outside of the radio pop world or the Hot Topic pop punk world. I don't think Mark or Travis ever realized the type of influence and fanbase they had built up that now exists in the newer punk/indie rock scene over the past decade.

90s/00s Blink
+ Alkaline Trio
+ 80s new wave/synth pop
+ modern indie rock
+ Travis's hip hop grooves
= something potentially REALLY fucking cool

They wouldn't sniff the type of industry success they've been going for, but they could've been a prime example of a band aging and maturing gracefully and still putting out heartfelt music as they evolve. I have to imagine that type of music would fit right in with current hyped up bands like PUP, Alvvays, Joyce Manor, Best Coast, Charly Bliss, The Menzingers, while still crossing over with pop stuff like Paramore, Naked And Famous, Grouplove, Bleachers.

I totally realize this is only what I personally would consider the best case scenario, but for a long time I thought that was a really realistic expectation. It took awhile but by now I realize that despite what Mark always talked about for years, that's just not at all what they actually like or listen to or want to play. They like radio pop and want to be major players in the radio pop biz like they were in the 90s/00s even though that world has changed and has no room for the type of music they used to play. So they switched things up to play the type of music they like on the radio to see if they could fit back in.

It's a big risk, and a big swing, and if it pays off they won't give a shit because it worked and they'll stay super famous and successful. But if it doesn't work, they will have pushed away quite a few fans and wasted the amount of clout they briefly had with the modern indie rock world that grew up idolizing them and their music.

giphy.gif

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

Pop punk has sucked for ages

there is some decent stuff out there. but it's either bands making a good comeback who were in their prime in the 90s, or it's smaller bands below the radar.

i get your sentiment, though. like i can't stand all the neck deep-type crap that is "pop punk revival" or whatthefuckever.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

there is some decent stuff out there. but it's either bands making a good comeback who were in their prime in the 90s, or it's smaller bands below the radar.

i get your sentiment, though. like i can't stand all the neck deep-type crap that is "pop punk revival" or whatthefuckever.

Agreed!

Love pop punk ... what I call pop punk isn't what most here refer to as pop punk.

• Like 1