Ghent

3 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

90s/00s Blink
+ Alkaline Trio
+ 80s new wave/synth pop
+ modern indie rock
+ Travis's hip hop grooves
= something potentially REALLY fucking cool

I have to imagine that type of music would fit right in with current hyped up bands like PUP, Alvvays, Joyce Manor, Best Coast, Charly Bliss, The Menzingers.

They like radio pop and want to be major players in the radio pop biz like they were in the 90s/00s even though that world has changed and has no room for the type of music they used to play. So they switched things up to play the type of music they like on the radio to see if they could fit back in.

some solid analysis here, champ. that's pretty much it.

i love scores of styles and bands that have nothing to do with punk. and your bullet point list indeed suggests they could do something awesome. just embracing matt's alk3 instincts and keeping the guitars crushing whilst skirting up against 80s revival synth... i could imagine that being like the album of the year. and then touring decent size theaters with bands like PUP and joyce manor opening up? fuck, forget about it. game over. they'd get some hipster crossover along with their aging core base and maybe some new kids too.

so much sadness in what could have been...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You're such a poser.

I just listen to music. If I like it I like it. Pop punk has sucked for ages

A poser? Didn't that term stopped being used in like 2002?

I am so far removed from the whole pop punk cred thing. In fact I think by 2003 I was over it. Blink with Untitled wasn't even in that genre anymore. I gave up my Pac Sun/Hot Topic clothes.

The idea that you think people hate this for some pop/punk cred reason is so ridiculous. You have to be trolling.

7 minutes ago, Speedo (tombot) said:

Love pop punk ... what I call pop punk isn't what most here refer to as pop punk.

and again maybe it's an age thing. all the bands i refer to as pop punk were formed before fall out boy (who doesn't live in my soup). so all the bands after them, the good charlottes and the new found glories or what have you, they don't even exist in my brain.

14 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Maybe if I type it for the 500th time you'd actually answer; but why do you want Blink 182 music written by other people in an insincere, inorganic way?

Do you really hate the band that much that you don't want to hear what they can actually do themselves? Fuck off.

@Ghent

Answer the fucking question coward.

• Like 2

I just listened to the song for first time, I like it ?‍♂️I’ve liked all the songs so far.  Is this song in a different tuning, like Drop D or something? low end on instruments sound lower than normal tuning. 

For some one reason I feel like this song was written by mark to  Tom  ?

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Who fuckin cares about pop punk anymore?

I shared the video in the general discussion thread  about teans reacting to blink and one of them said this but more PC... basically saying kids and the world just generally aren’t into this type of music anymore that dominated the late 90s- early 10s

I've tried giving it a fair chance in the car today, but just can't get into it. It's catchy, but in the radio garbage way. I can hear the guitar *a tad* more on official audio release, but it's still under layers of crap, and whatever effect they are using to make it completely muffled and almost sound "underwater" are pretty whack. I hope it does well for them and brings in more blink fans, but easily my least favorite blink song ever.

Ghent may be alone on this one:

WON'T YOU SAY SOMETHING WON'T YOU SAY SOMETHINGGGGGGGGGGGG

giphy.gif

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

A poser? Didn't that term stopped being used in like 2002?

I am so far removed from the whole pop punk cred thing. In fact I think by 2003 I was over it. Blink with Untitled wasn't even in that genre anymore. I gave up my Pac Sun/Hot Topic clothes.

The idea that you think people hate this for some pop/punk cred reason is so ridiculous. You have to be trolling.

^This a million times

I don't get why people relate pop punk to blink-182 past TOYPAJ, there's too much experimantation going on Untitled to put it in such a simplistic genre, some fans are just unable to move on from enema and let the band grow which put the band on its current situation *coff coff California*. Man, the death of Jerry affected the band in so many ways, feldman gave them the wrong idea of what the band was supposed to be/sound like while Jerry pushed them to try new things while staying true to themselves. I feel like in Jerry's mind there was no 'blink sound', of course they all have a very distinct and unique playing style from other bands but every album from Cheshire to Untitled sounds like a slow but organic evolution. My point is that mark and travis should get that stupid idea of trying to appeal to the masses out of their heads and also the idea of 'the blink sound' that feldman pushed to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Yeah I mean if they took all the ingredients they had talked about for years (and that I mistakenly assumed they were going to bring to the table) it could've turned out groundbreaking and successful in its own way, outside of the radio pop world or the Hot Topic pop punk world. I don't think Mark or Travis ever realized the type of influence and fanbase they had built up that now exists in the newer punk/indie rock scene over the past decade.

90s/00s Blink
+ Alkaline Trio
+ 80s new wave/synth pop
+ modern indie rock
+ Travis's hip hop grooves
= something potentially REALLY fucking cool

They wouldn't sniff the type of industry success they've been going for, but they could've been a prime example of a band aging and maturing gracefully and still putting out heartfelt music as they evolve. I have to imagine that type of music would fit right in with current hyped up bands like PUP, Alvvays, Joyce Manor, Best Coast, Charly Bliss, The Menzingers, while still crossing over with pop stuff like Paramore, Naked And Famous, Grouplove, Bleachers.

I totally realize this is only what I personally would consider the best case scenario, but for a long time I thought that was a really realistic expectation. It took awhile but by now I realize that despite what Mark always talked about for years, that's just not at all what they actually like or listen to or want to play. They like radio pop and want to be major players in the radio pop biz like they were in the 90s/00s even though that world has changed and has no room for the type of music they used to play. So they switched things up to play the type of music they like on the radio to see if they could fit back in.

It's a big risk, and a big swing, and if it pays off they won't give a shit because it worked and they'll stay super famous and successful. But if it doesn't work, they will have pushed away quite a few fans and wasted the amount of clout they briefly had with the modern indie rock world that grew up idolizing them and their music.

giphy.gif

Exactly what I was hoping for and I got so damn excited at the potential of having an ALK3/+44 fused blink that cranked up the moodiness and aggression but still having the ability to experiment and revisit the classic blink sound. There are so many styles and tricks they could incorporate with just the THREE of them writing together. Sure, blink moving on without their co-frontman was a huge risk, but at the time, it was much needed and there was still so much potential and ground to explore, even without the classic Tom riffs (Matt has never had a problem creating riffs in ALK3 - so what’s the deal here?) and other characteristics that made blink what it is. 

I’m still holding out hope that someday  we will get to experience the true potential with this lineup, but right now it looks bleak. I wonder what will happen with the next album. I’m sure the backlash is starting to the get to them, and I know it’s not going to calm down once NINE is fully released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I thought California wasn’t pop punk?

I don’t give a single shit about co-writers man.

This is the fucking problem here. You should care about the co-writers, like a lot. 

That was one of the reasons I loved Blink was because they were a real band that wrote their own music.

So why dont we just swap out Mark or Skiba for anyone else? Seeing as you could care less about their songwriting.